the infinite lightness of non-co-ordination on MONEY

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 27, 2017, 4:13:57 PM7/27/17
to TiddlyWiki
ONE thing strikes me is MATH.

I MEAN Financial Accounts.

TW is very good at formula (Katex / Latex)

Its not so ordered on ledgers.

I can't do Katex without money coming in though.

I'd like to be able to add up a column without resort to the editor.

And add a row without fiddling with tables.

I see all the bits are there for simple cash accounting. But I have no brain for the code needed.

I suspect its not come together because you are not capitalists, unlike me :-)

Best wishes
Josiah

Lost Admin

Jul 28, 2017, 8:12:21 AM7/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
I shan't be as poetic as you

but money is dear to me as well

I have often thought that there should be a tiddler type for csv/text

that worked as a simple spreadsheet does

Mark S.

Jul 28, 2017, 9:14:38 AM7/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
You've seen mathcell, right?

What TW needs is some mathematical widgets, fitlers, and macros. Currently there's only "count". Of course, you could probably build a turing machine with that.

Mark

Lost Admin

Jul 28, 2017, 9:50:26 AM7/28/17
to TiddlyWiki

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 9:14:38 AM UTC-4, Mark S. wrote:
You've seen mathcell, right?

Nope. I don't even know what it is. This is the first I've heard of it.

Mark S.

Jul 28, 2017, 9:59:46 AM7/28/17
to TiddlyWiki

http://mathcell.tiddlyspot.com/

Spreadsheet and math engine abilities, though maybe not as easy as Lotus 123 (remember that?).

PMario

Jul 28, 2017, 4:06:16 PM7/28/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Working with money is a bit problematic, if you use a language, that supports floats defined by double-precision 64-bit binary format IEEE 754 which is used in javascript. The build in js math library has a function: Number.isSafeInteger() to check if a number can be safely stored. ....

The following example is a systemic problem, and shouldn't be blamed on the mathcell project.

 - open http://mathcell.tiddlyspot.com/#Excel%20Like%20Table
 - enter: 0.1   into B1
 - enter: 0.2   into B2
 - C1 should show: 0.02   ... but it shows 0.020000000000000004
 - B3 should show 0.3 (B1 + B2) ... but it doesn't

That's not really, what you expect. right?

So, to deal with currencies, we'd need to use libraries, that are able to deal with rules, that we use for currencies. ...

eg: In Austria we use 0,1 instead of 0.1 ... and so on ...

have fun!
mario

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 29, 2017, 9:53:06 AM7/29/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao PMario

Right.

Ich habe solche Komplikationen gesehen. Sie sind verwirrend :-).

Josiah

PMario wrote:
Working with money is a bit problematic ...

The following example is a systemic problem ...

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 29, 2017, 10:41:46 AM7/29/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark S.

I did stumble on Mathcell before. I found it very interesting but not useable in the idiot mode I need to stick with on cash ledgers.

I should maybe list what I looked at already?

The accounts ledger thing is something I been hoping for a simple solution to for a long time.

Most every solution I looked at does strange algebraic things :-).

I don't need higher math. Just addition, subtraction and (luxury add on) compound division to two decimal points. Full stop.

Josiah

PMario

Jul 29, 2017, 10:47:00 AM7/29/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 3:53:06 PM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao PMario

Right.

Ich habe solche Komplikationen gesehen. Sie sind verwirrend :-).

There are several libraries, that can work with money. ...

eg:

 - http://mathjs.org/ .. full featured .. relatively big
 - https://www.npmjs.com/package/money-math  ... basic and small

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 29, 2017, 11:19:41 AM7/29/17
to TiddlyWiki
I have NO brain for JS.

I know what the outcome should LOOK like. But how to get there is a mystery to me.

What I am going to do is try to bring together examples of things already made that are very close to see if they can be tweaked. Some have been close.

Best wishes
Josiah