Colour Pallete Options

Ste Wilson

May 4, 2016, 3:44:02 AM5/4/16
to TiddlyWiki
I have a some students who find reading easier on certain colour backgrounds.
I am aware that the palette can be changed but that does involve digging lightly into the settings and, for one student their preferred colour is not one of the defaults and so requires a little more digging.  These students aren't currently entirely comfortable with that.

Is it possible to set a button or side bar menu where a curated selection of palettes could be invoked to enable the learners to apply this themselves easily without me having to come over and sort them out every lesson/ browser crash/ refresh...?

stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com

c pa

May 4, 2016, 3:49:24 PM5/4/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Stephen,

[[ControlPanel]]
Select the tab Appearance
Select the tab Pallette

Click on the pallettes in turn until you have the background etc. you want

If you want to add a new pallette In the right side Click on "More / Shadows"

Search for $:/palettes

Clone one of those palettes, give it a new name, and edit the colors
Make sure to edit the "name" field in the cloned tiddler. That is the name that shows up on the palettes list
Then that choice will be in the list of palettes

Ste Wilson

May 5, 2016, 9:47:29 AM5/5/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thats the ticket!  Thanks.

Marc Ferguson

May 5, 2016, 10:10:07 AM5/5/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Interesting fact--finding a student's background color can help some students comprehend better and faster.

It has to do with what side of the brain information comes into the brain.

It really helped my son who had leading problems.

Sent from my iPhone

prog...@assays.tv

May 5, 2016, 2:29:35 PM5/5/16
to TiddlyWiki
Marc & others

TBH Color Palettes, however good the tech, are difficult to get right.

Its as much a visual design issue as having a palette selector. In fact palette access to zillions of colors can make websites awful as users select one-by-one, rather than by interactive visual harmony.

Really for user based stabs in the dark its an interactive system that is needed so you can see the effect whilst choosing.

My 2 cents.

Josiah

Marc Ferguson

May 5, 2016, 3:15:39 PM5/5/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. In schools teachers use simple transparent plastic over book pages to help students. On the computer it is all about "cool themes."

I think that simple pleasant by high contrast background colors and black background would be sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone

Mat

May 6, 2016, 3:58:25 AM5/6/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ste - would it be enough if all tiddlers are coloured with this custom background or is there a way to specifically identify all the relevant tiddlers? Perhaps they are tagged with a common tag?

<:-)

Ste Wilson

May 6, 2016, 7:00:09 AM5/6/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes it's just any/ all the tiddler back grounds.  I've followed c pa's advice and set up a couple of custom pallets where I have just changed the 'tiddler background' colour and told the relevant students where to find those when they use the wiki.  The results aren't massively aesthetically pleasing when taken with the rest of the theme but they are functional. There are just too many options to tweak different colours of.  I'd only end up creating a garish mess.  A cut down palette editor with the ability to change just the key 7(?) colours shown in the pallette selection would be good. (Still not claiming this WOULDN'T end in a garish mess...)

prog...@assays.tv

May 7, 2016, 12:02:16 PM5/7/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Ste Wilson

In fact that would be quite easy to do, IN THEORY. But the way Palette Options work in TW make it hard work at the moment. The difficulty is you have would have to know what ALL those different coloring tags do in the layout AND have a visual sense of color harmony AND be aware of what colors people with color vision problems find difficult.

This isn't a solution. But I think stating the problem is a step towards it.

Best wishes
Josiah

David Gifford

Jun 8, 2016, 9:27:08 AM6/8/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Stephen

This is unrelated, but I was enjoying your Statics full tiddler in your stephenteacher tiddlyspot, and noticed that you were trying to get your statics to have titles with h2 style.

Here is what you need to put in your StaticsTiddler tiddler to get that to look right.

<h2><$view field="title"/></h2><br>

{{!!text}}<br>

Blessings

Dave

Ste Wilson

Jun 8, 2016, 9:49:55 AM6/8/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
 Excellent!
Much appreciated, both of your enjoyment and the code :)
It looks better now.

Though interestingly some of the formatting in the original tiddler doesn't make it through, level three headings are rendered as !!!heading, *lists don't display and some line break/ carriage returns don't show.

Curiouser and Curiouser

Ste