TiddlyTools lives again!

Eric Shulman

Nov 29, 2019, 12:24:43 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

I'm pleased to report that I have finally managed to get my TiddlyTools.com domain associated with new online hosting.

As a result, visiting http://www.tiddlytools.com/ will once again take you directly to my TiddlyWiki Classic site, with all the good plugins, scripts, macros, stylesheets, etc. that you have known these many years.

I have also resumed work on the TW5 "InsideTiddlyWiki" book and have done a lot of updates to both the content and the underlying document feature set.

In addition to the current TiddlySpot-hosted location (http://insidetiddlywiki.tiddlyspot.com/) you can also view it directly at http://tiddlytools.com/InsideTW.  I am currently keeping both locations up-to-date and in sync with the latest revisions, so you can choose either location to view it.

Please note: the book is still far from complete, so please DO NOT DOWNLOAD a copy... but do feel free to view it online and give me input and feedback about both the features and the content.

As an extra bonus, I have also posted my recent TW5 experiments with regard to interfaces for advanced filtering: http://tiddlytools.com/filtergenerators.html

enjoy,
-e

Eric Shulman

Nov 29, 2019, 12:47:37 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki

Here's another "blast from the past", just for fun:

The TiddlyLife plugin for TWC: http://tiddlytools.com/TiddlyLife.html

Which I wrote from scratch in just a few days way back in October, 2008 as a coding challenge by a friend.

enjoy,
-e

Jon

Nov 29, 2019, 1:52:46 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Good news about the book, Eric.

It looks really professional and new users will be able to be referred to it for answers rather than just trawling through the group here.

Regards
Jon

TiddlyTweeter

Nov 29, 2019, 8:44:17 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Eric,

Just to say ... I would not be using TW if I had not stumbled on TiddlyTools a long, long time ago.

At the time it was so astonishingly ahead I didn't then grasp fully what you could do in TW. But it stuck in my head as awesome.

Some years later I came back & found it again (sought it) and decided TW5 would likely be best for my needs.

I still think that TiddlyTools is phenomenal. An eye opener.

High regards
Josiah

David Gifford

Nov 29, 2019, 9:00:16 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Title should be Eric Shulman lives again! I thought you dropped off the face of the earth. Great to have you back!

Dave

Diego Mesa

Nov 29, 2019, 10:27:02 AM11/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
What a time to be a TW user! With Luis Gonzalez excellent book and the return of Erics, we're definitely in for a great 2020!

A Gloom

Nov 30, 2019, 12:37:58 AM11/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
ah ha! invoking your name worked (you may had noticed I did it in a couple posts recently) : P

As a result, visiting http://www.tiddlytools.com/ will once again take you directly to my TiddlyWiki Classic site, with all the good plugins, scripts, macros, stylesheets, etc. that you have known these many years.

is any content there applicable to TW5? (so to include in the Ref Collective)

Please note: the book is still far from complete, so please DO NOT DOWNLOAD a copy... but do feel free to view it online and give me input and feedback about both the features and the content.

I was holding off on doin anything with current documentation efforts to see how they shape-- hopefully current efforts will be coordinated for best effect

As an extra bonus, I have also posted my recent TW5 experiments with regard to interfaces for advanced filtering: http://tiddlytools.com/filtergenerators.html

cool, I saw (& studying) the bit of code you posted in a recent thread

TonyM

Nov 30, 2019, 1:48:30 AM11/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
Eric,

Lovely to have TiddlyTools back. It was my constant companion for many years and I eagerly checked the recent tab to see what easter egg you had provided. I am unlikely to use TWC any more but if I do it is reassuring this excellent resource is available and I am sure some of the retro users will be very happy.

Thank you as always for your Contributions
 Tony

okido

Dec 1, 2019, 3:47:21 PM12/1/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Eric,

Are you going to update plugins that have io operations that do not work anymore?

Have a nice day, Okido

Jan

Dec 3, 2019, 3:08:06 AM12/3/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,
I am so happy to see you back here ... if you had not helped me when I started I never would have achieved anything!
Thanks again! Jan

Eric Shulman

Dec 3, 2019, 11:58:37 AM12/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 12:47:21 PM UTC-8, okido wrote:
Are you going to update plugins that have io operations that do not work anymore?

The first step is to get TiddlyTools Classic upgraded from TW2.5.0 to the TW2.9.2 (the current build)

Unfortunately, I've run into some glitches in that process and it's taking a bit of digital gymnastics to sort it out.

Because my file I/O based plugins no longer work, I need to use the standard backstage "import" and "save" functions to build the new TiddlyTools2.9.2 file.  However, there are two plugins, HideTiddlersPlugin and SplashScreenPlugin, that seem to kill the backstage.  After I import, save, and reload with those plugins present, the backstage is just GONE!  There's not even a backstage button in the upper right corner.  It's not clear to me why this would be the case, but as long as I don't include those plugins, the backstage remains available.

I use Chrome for all my work, and there appears to be a problem with the default "download saver".  Starting from an empty 2.9.2, I import tiddlers from an archived copy of TiddlyTools2.5.0.  When I then use the backstage "save" command to save the file, it works only if the total target file size is less than about 1550kb.    However, TiddlyTools2.5.0 is about 2740kb, and as soon as I try to import ALL of the tiddlers, the "download save" stops working!  There *is* a messagebox that says "Downloading/saving main TiddlyWiki file", but the system-based "save as" dialog simply fails to appear.  It took me quite a while to figure out the 1550kb threshold by progressively importing just a few tiddlers at a time.  It doesn't matter which tiddlers I import... as soon as the target file gets larger than 1550kb, the "save as" dialog goes away.

Once I get past these two annoying problems, I can consider the next step: trying to re-write the file I/O based plugins (AttachFilePlugin, SaveAs plugin, and a few others).  However, I don't really have a lot of spare time to devote to that effort, and it's unclear that I can even get those plugins to ever work again.  Nonetheless, I hope to *eventually* have them working again... someday.

-e

When the total file size gets to be larger than about 1550kb, the browser's "download file" dialog fails to appear when I try to save.
The messagebox *says* its "Downloading/saving main TiddlyWiki file", but no actual dialog box appears.

It saves just fine up until that size threshold, but if I try to import any more tiddlers, the dialog doesn't show up.