TiddlyDesktop : Request

Alfonso Arciniega

Aug 2, 2018, 1:19:44 PM8/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi All,

Though I think this is a request addressed to Jeremy, maybe someone else may tell me: Is it possible to make TiddlyDesktop (TD) fully portable or not?

Because it is not fully portable, I stopped using (TD) at work recently. I have been running it from a USB for quite some time with no issues. However, TD writes/reads to/from my "User" folder in the hard drive, instead of the USB. This has become an issue with company policies that prohibit unauthorized software in Company owned computer equipment. My system is a Windows 7 64 bit.

Now I am using portable Waterfox v.55.2.2 and Firefox ESR v.52.9.0 with the Tiddly Wiki for Firefox v.2.0.2 pre-release. This arrangement works fine though it is not as fast/good as TD.

Another option I have is to use Google Chrome 67+ (authorized application) with the Save Tiddlers v.0.7 extension. However, I prefer TD over the above options.

Cheers,

Alfonso A.

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 2, 2018, 2:45:36 PM8/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Alfonso

As  far as I understand it the addressing of TW files within TD can only use absolute addressing at the moment, though the configuration file itself can be part-portabilised--i.e. you can force it to exist at an address relative to the "run" directory and not under the "User" folder. That gives some flex--i.e. you could put that config on the USB, but its not yet full portability because of the TW addressing problem mentioned above, and, also, there a residual issue that looks like a small bug in using the "--user-data-dir=" directive.

Read these issues on GitHub for a bit more info ... (and vote them up if they appeal to you :-)

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyDesktop/issues/153

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyDesktop/issues/144

Best wishes
Josiah

Alfonso Arciniega wrote:
... Is it possible to make TiddlyDesktop (TD) fully portable or not?

Arlen Beiler

Aug 2, 2018, 5:56:34 PM8/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
If you can listen on localhost you can use TiddlyServer. It allows you to save files directly back to the server in a way that feels like tiddlyfox. You can also use data folders like with NodeJs TW5, which I find much more convenient, personally.

Alfonso Arciniega

Aug 3, 2018, 12:50:45 AM8/3/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Arlen.

I would like to use TiddlyServer. However, I cannot make it work. The instructions are not clear (to me, at least). They are confusing and in separate web sites. I tried though, unsuccessfuly.

Regards,

Alfonso

Alfonso Arciniega

Aug 3, 2018, 12:56:55 AM8/3/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Josiah,

Both issues seem to address the addressing issue (I know, double use of wording). Voted up both.

Alfonso

Arlen Beiler

Aug 3, 2018, 1:52:01 AM8/3/18
to TiddlyWiki
Try this one

TiddlyServer is a little hard to get started with. Maybe a command prompt configuration utility would simplify it.

Arlen