How to access my TW from iPhone?

Matt Groth

Feb 22, 2017, 6:12:31 PM2/22/17
to TiddlyWiki
I'm running tiddlywiki on Node.js on my Mac and accessing it by going to http://127.0.0.1:8080/. How can I access this address from my iPhone?

I'm guessing this will require creating an internet server. How would I do this, and how can I keep it private?

Mark S.

Feb 23, 2017, 12:59:39 PM2/23/17
to TiddlyWiki
From http://tiddlywiki.com/#ServerCommand , you need to give a command that will let other devices see your app, like

--server 8080 $:/core/save/all text/plain text/html "" "" 192.168.0.245

That means you will need to look up the serving machine's local ip number (I'm assuming you're on a local wifi or other router).

You can add a username and password, but per the text this is passed in plain text, so it's not heavy duty security.

I'm not a security expert, but I believe you might be able to tell your local router to block activities on certain ports, so you have some security from the outside world. Of course, this would not prevent other users inside your local network from viewing your "site".

Possibly you could encrypt your TW -- I've never tried this on node.js. You could then examine your individual tid's and verify that they're encrypted.

Good luck,
Mark

Matt Groth

Feb 24, 2017, 3:25:51 PM2/24/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark,

This worked!

Now how do I make the server accessible from anywhere rather than just my local router?

And a password is just fine for security. :)

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Groth

Feb 24, 2017, 3:40:32 PM2/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Actually, I was able to accomplish this using ngrok. Thanks again for the help!