Stroll with Node.js

Christoffer Samuelsson

Jul 8, 2020, 12:20:39 PM7/8/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello. I am using Stroll with Node.js and figured out that Stroll is not a plugin but actually a collection of plugins/overrides/configs that are bundled toghether as Tiddlers. In other words, it cannot be referenced in the tiddlywiki.info config file.

I've mananged to make Stroll a "plugin" by creating a separate "Stroll" folder inside the default "tiddlers" folder, and transfering all effected $__ files into that folder, which practiacally makes it an individual plugin.

Is there a repo where Stroll is downloadable as a PluginFolder ?

Regards,
Christoffer
screenshot.png

Mark S.

Jul 8, 2020, 1:04:08 PM7/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Note that many of the tiddlers you have in your collection actually belong to other people's plugins. It would probably be best to keep the functionality of Stroll separate from that of the other tiddlers.

Since you're using node, and already have separated tiddlers, you're only a few steps away from making your own local plugin folder.

Make a folder "plugins" at the same level as "tiddlers". Make a folder below plugins, perhaps "stroll". Move your Stroll files into the stroll directory. Find a copy of "plugin.info" from some existing node project and copy it into "stroll". Edit it with a text editor to indicate the actual working version, compatibility, title, description, etc.

Now when you restart node, there should be a stroll plugin.

HTH

Christoffer Samuelsson

Jul 8, 2020, 1:35:47 PM7/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you for the reply.
The tiddlers in the screenshot are all from Stroll, except maybe the SiteTitle.
As you say, I am not far from making my own plugin, but I thought maybe Dave at Giffmex had another solution, like a repo to clone. It's easier to maintain across updates.

/ Christoffer

Mark S.

Jul 8, 2020, 3:51:00 PM7/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
The one's from snowgoose, danielo, sq, and flibbles are part of other plugins. You can go into the plugin manager and see the other plugins.

Depending on which version of Stroll you have, the way to find all the tiddlers that are actually part of Stroll is by the tag $:/giffmex/stroll or "stroll".

David Gifford

Jul 8, 2020, 6:54:13 PM7/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi posta

As you noticed, Stroll is a collection of plugins and other things that combine to work together. It is hard to tease it out from the others' plugins. Feel free to combine any of the tiddlers tagged $:/.giffmex/stroll into a plugin and host the plugin for your own use.  I do not use GitHub, unfortunately.

Mark Cubberley

Jul 23, 2020, 3:51:37 PM7/23/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
My apologies. I'm brand new to Stroll/TiddlyWiki. I added the Stroll files to a Stroll directory as well as a plugin.info file. When I restart node, I can see the Stroll plugin but a tiddler lacks a text box (see below). Am I missing something fundamental here?

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.47.45 PM.png

Mark S.

Jul 23, 2020, 4:26:36 PM7/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Stroll needs the support of at least four other plugins:

The easiest way to get these is to drag and drop them from the plugins portion of the configuration panel from David's original site.

Mark Cubberley

Jul 23, 2020, 5:17:41 PM7/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the quick response! I'm not sure what I have in my Stroll plugin folder now but it looks like a mix of the Stroll files and the supporting plugins. I'm not convinced I understand then how to get the Stroll files and then the supporting plugin files when I'm using Stroll with Node.js.

I can start from scratch (as I haven't generated any content yet) but I'm not sure how to go about doing it from David'd blank site. Can you direct me to a thread or site with more explicit instructions?

Thanks.

Mark S.

Jul 23, 2020, 7:50:48 PM7/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
There were a couple of problems. I don't think you can insert a plugin (the four supporting plugins) into a plugin. You would have to break out their content first before packing it into a new plugin. I could be wrong on this, but it seemed to be a problem.

In addition, there were at least two places in Dave's code where the criteria had to be changed. Anywhere where there was tag[./giffmex ... needed to be preceded by all[tiddlers+shadows] . I was surprised by this -- I thought shadows would be picked up by a tag operator.

My approach was to make a new node instance, drag-and-drop all the files that have the main giffmex tag. Move all the tiddlers that are not part of the four supporting plugins into plugins/Stroll, modify two tiddlers as mentioned above, and make a plugin.info file. Then restart.

If you want, you can "borrow" the attached plugin. It is not official. Drag and drop it into your system, then drag and drop the supporting four plugins.

Remember, Dave is always making changes, so this plugin could become outdated quickly. I only did a quick test, so there may be other "surprises" buried in the code.

Good luck!
plugins_giffmex_Stroll-2020-07-23.json

Mark S.

Jul 23, 2020, 8:19:06 PM7/23/20