general questions about BobExe and nodejs

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 3:24:42 AM5/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I have a few questions about BobExe which uses nodejs:
If I want to create a huge wiki that contains text and use images, videos, PDFs locally how can I use it? Can I place the media files in structured folders inside the wiki folder and create links to it?
How many tags can I use? I am fan of tags, soon or later I will have thousands of tags, can it hold 50k tags? How about embed code to local media to display the content of videos, images, PDFs? It probably consumes resources of memory, how big can I make the wiki?
What ways are to organize better the wiki and subwikis to create gigantic sizes? Ex. in Evernote I store 80gb of data.

Update:
I organized wikis in subfolders. In Control Panel -> Bob -> Manage Wikis -> Available Wikis the wikis are shown with the parent wiki names in front. Can it be organized with drag and drop? Can it be set not to show in the name of every subwiki the name of parent wiki? When I have 5-6 level subwikis and 60 wikis with parent and subwikis there will be a huge list with long names of each wiki containing its parents. The use folding list option displays the names of wiki and subwikis more than once in the list vertically.

Subwikis do not appear. Ex. Subwiki Articles/Microbiology shows nothing in browser. Wiki: Articles appears. No subwiki appear in browser after I select it from the list of wikis or enter the url in browsers.

Jed Carty

May 3, 2020, 5:31:00 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Bob (and the normal nodejs server) can serve media files, for the bob specific version the documentation is here: https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob/blob/master/Documentation/Serving%20Files.tid or under the Bob tab in the control panel of your wiki.

If you have 50k tags spread out over 100 wikis there is probably no problem, if you have 50k tags in one wiki it may cause some slowdown because of how tags are cached, so you may want to use field values instead for some things, or check out the GenTags plugin so you can have multiple tag fields that are more specific than just 'tags' (https://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/)
I have over 100 wikis served by Bob with thousands of tags between them and there is no problem.

The repeated listing in the folding view is something I have run into but I couldn't find the cause of it, so until I do I can't fix it.

I need more information about the situation when you say 'subwikis do not appear' to say anything useful about it.

Peter Buyze

May 3, 2020, 5:53:30 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Jed, which is the actual plug-in to be dragged/dropped into one's wiki? Is it $:/plugins/inmysocks/GenericTagFields/ListLikeTagsMacro  ?

3 May 2020, 12:31 by inmy...@gmail.com:

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 7:00:41 AM5/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Wow. Great. Thanks for the info. I will check the media files related technique.

I will use multiple wikis when tagging.

I attached a small screenshot with the opened subwiki. Nothing appear. Should Bob recreate a TW5 file for each wiki? It should appear a new window with a fresh new wiki page I think.

The second screenshot shows the subwikis I created. How can I exclude the name of parent wiki from the name of subwikis and display them hierarchically.

Another problem: The file server does not start. When I check the Enable server checkbox and press the Save the file path root the Save media on server is checked then press the Fetch list... a warning in red backgr appears to say "You are no longer connect to the server." The Bob server is no more started. I need to reopen the app and see that the file server is not enabled. How can I solve this.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Jed Carty

May 3, 2020, 8:08:48 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Stefan,

You are using \ in the names instead of /, try using / instead.

Peter,

You need the plugin tiddler, $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags, just click on the link in the second sentence.

Peter Buyze

May 3, 2020, 8:32:47 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Jed, the plugin tid (screenshot) does not show $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags.

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

3 May 2020, 15:08 by inmy...@gmail.com:
gentags.png

Birthe C

May 3, 2020, 9:03:55 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Peter,
The screenshot shows the plugin: $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags. And the tiddlers in the plugin. You need the plugin.

Birthe

søndag den 3. maj 2020 kl. 14.32.47 UTC+2 skrev Peter Buyze:
Jed, the plugin tid (screenshot) does not show $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags.

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

3 May 2020, 15:08 by inmy...@gmail.com:
Stefan,

You are using \ in the names instead of /, try using / instead.

Peter,

You need the plugin tiddler, $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags, just click on the link in the second sentence.

Birthe C

May 3, 2020, 9:05:08 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry, Peter, you are right. Not Ooktech but Inmysocks. Still you need the plugin.

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 9:34:27 AM5/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I renamed a subwiki using the / instead of \ nothing happens only when I click on the subwiki the correct address (http://127.0.0.1:8080/Articles/Geography) appears but the new window is empty. The Available Wikis list displays as Articles\Geography.
I created a brand new subwiki choosing this time an option from "Create a wiki from" and chose the "Bob" edition, entered for the wiki name: Articles/TiddlyWiki. So this subwiki will have the name of TiddlyWiki. This time the tiddlers and settings folders were created for this subwiki, but in the Available Wikis list this subwiki also appears as Articles\TiddlyWiki. The Url address appears correctly: http://127.0.0.1:8080/Articles/TiddlyWiki, but no content is displayed in the new window.

If I create a new wiki everything works. But when I want to create a subwiki inside a wiki the problems described before will appear.

Looking in system tiddlers I found ex:

Clipboard03.jpg

So how can I change the path to make the subwikis work?

Jed Carty

May 3, 2020, 10:25:18 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Windows pathing is going to be the end of me. It has cause more problems when developing Bob than anything else.

I guess this means that you may be the first person using windows to try and make nested wikis using Bob. I find that a bit weird but no one else has mentioned it.

The wikis listed don't have to be in any particular order, you can rearrange them however you wish.

You can put the wikis anywhere in the listing by editing the settings file, on everything but windows you can just name the wikis and they get put into the structure you expect.

The structure of the wikis section of your settings file is what matters:

{

"wiki1": {

"__path": "/path/to/wiki1"

"wiki2": {

"__path": "/path/to/wiki2"

}

},

"wiki3": {

"__path": "/path/to/wiki3"

}
}

the above structure would list the wikis as

wiki1
   - wiki2
wiki3

Since this is part of some of the basic functioning of Bob I have no idea how much work it would take to accommodate windows pathing. It may be a while before this gets addressed.

Peter Buyze

May 3, 2020, 10:51:29 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Birthe, even with my reading glasses on I do not see $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags, so please tell me on which of the 7 lines in the screenshot it is.

3 May 2020, 16:03 by strikke...@gmail.com:

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 10:57:17 AM5/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Clipboard05.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

I made as you said but it gives errors. Maybe the structure is not good. I checked the commas.

Peter Buyze

May 3, 2020, 11:02:00 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Sorry, did not see this answer. Yes, I know I need the plug-in, that's what I have been pestering Jed about. I cannot find it - I must be looking in the wrong place, but what is the right place?

3 May 2020, 16:05 by strikke...@gmail.com:

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 11:05:20 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
I dragged each of those 7 links over my wiki and the tag plugin works: https://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Finmysocks%2FGenTags

duminică, 3 mai 2020, 18:02:00 UTC+3, Peter Buyze a scris:

3 May 2020, 16:05 by strikk...@gmail.com:

søndag den 3. maj 2020 kl. 15.03.55 UTC+2 skrev Birthe C:
Peter,
The screenshot shows the plugin: $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags. And the tiddlers in the plugin. You need the plugin.

Birthe

søndag den 3. maj 2020 kl. 14.32.47 UTC+2 skrev Peter Buyze:
Jed, the plugin tid (screenshot) does not show $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags.

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

3 May 2020, 15:08 by inmy...@gmail.com:
Stefan,

You are using \ in the names instead of /, try using / instead.

Peter,

You need the plugin tiddler, $:/plugins/OokTech/GenTags, just click on the link in the second sentence.

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 11:14:40 AM5/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The problem if I abandon the idea of nested wikis and create separate wikis with complex names such as ArticlesGeography, ArticlesHealth, BookmarksWebsites, BookmarksSoftware, then how will I solve the problem of external files (images, pdfs, videos)? I cannot drop unsorted media in a single files folder...

Peter Buyze

May 3, 2020, 11:16:12 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Stefan,
thanks for that. That's a lot of drag/drop you did for just 1 plug-in.
I'll do the same.

Jed, you should make the instructions on your tutorial a bit clearer.

3 May 2020, 18:05 by stefa...@gmail.com:

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 11:18:10 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
I also did not found the plugin to drag and drop over my TW so I dragged each of those components.

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 11:30:01 AM5/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
 There should be a comma between these 2 lines:
"__path": "/path/to/wiki1"

"wiki2": {
The error comes from that.

Starting successfully the server I checked the structure of wikis. Only the parent wiki is displayed. I cannot access the subwiki. Even I made the changes in the settings file. I pressed the Update list button on the sidebar and it added the subwiki as a parent wiki in the setting file. So the structure you described does not accepted by the app.

Birthe C

May 3, 2020, 12:09:26 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Peter,
This thread is about general questions about BobExe and nodejs!

Jeds instructions are very clear. go to the link https://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/ The first tiddler you see has the title "GenTags plugin" The first sentence is as follow: "This wiki is showing off the GenTags plugin. The plugin tiddler is here", where the word here is a link to the plugin.
or you can go to control panel, plugins tab and be sure to find installed plugins.

Birthe

Peter Buyze

May 3, 2020, 12:23:21 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Birthe,
Yes, I know this thread is about general questions about BobExe and nodejs! I merely reacted to a comment by Jed about GenTags in this thread. Perhaps I should have opened a new thread.

Jed's instructions are clear, but when I then find a tiddler with 7 shadow tiddlers, I am confused because so far all the plug-ins I have come across and those I have installed consisted of only 1 link to drag and drop.

Anyway, no need to continue the discussion about GenTags in this thread, Stefan has shown more clearly what to do than Jed, if I may say it this way - no offence meant to Jed.

3 May 2020, 19:09 by strikke...@gmail.com:

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 12:56:31 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
 How do you manage information in Bob? Do you use images, videos, PDFs? How you organize those 100 wikis? Probably you dont use Windows.

Jed Carty

May 3, 2020, 1:57:55 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
I don't know how to answer that question in a useful way. I put media in the wikis when it is useful, I have wikis for different subjects and wikis listed under them for more specific things that fit under them. A lot of them are for documenting my own projects or are custom things that don't have much use outside of this one thing, like one that generates embedded c code for a projects, art projects and client relations don't really use the same pieces as that.

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 2:29:05 PM5/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Something unbelievable happened. I tried BobLinux on Ubuntu 19.10 and it works. Even it creates subwikis and displays it in the sidebar correctly and even opens wikis and subwikis in the browser.

How to create and save tiddlers in a specific wiki, subwiki? By default I think all wikis are loaded (The unload command does not work). How I know in which wiki the tiddler is saved. How to move tiddlers between wikis?

How can I use images, videos, PDFs stored on the server?
Is it necessary to always enable the file server?

Some things don't work neither in Ubuntu nor in Windows 10:
-Unloading of wikis from Wiki listing or Sidebar
-Removing of additional folders (prefix, path) from Control Panel -> File folders.
-I did not find a way to display images, videos using the server url.
-Cannot call an image in a tiddler and display it, I don't know what is wrong, the command I use, the path I use, no examples found for the usage of external images, videos, PDFs under nodejs or Bob.

I did not understand what editions means. when creating a new wiki I use the empty option.

Jed Carty

May 3, 2020, 4:05:53 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
I am not sure what is unbelievable about it working.

I am not sure I understand what you are expecting in the first part.
It is not just one wiki, it is several wikis, they are not all loaded into the same wiki.
You use the wikis just like any other tiddlywiki, open it up and create tiddlers. There isn't anything different about using the wikis once they are created, just open the wiki you want or click on the link in the sidebar.

The settings should be saved, so once you set them they are persistent.

Look at the file server section of the Bob tab, it has documentation. I can't answer a question like 'is it always necessary to enable the file server?' in a useful way, because no it isn't necessary unless you are doing something where it is necessary, I don't know what you are doing so I can't answer that for you.

What do you mean when you say the unload command doesn't work?
You have to give me enough information for me to help.

stefan infp

May 3, 2020, 4:33:42 PM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry, I realized that each wiki works as separate wiki.

Screenshot from 2020-05-03 23-28-26.png

I talk about this Unload command related to wikis.

Thanks for the link about the Editions.

stefan infp

May 4, 2020, 10:55:14 AM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki

Clipboard06.jpg

 I successfully created a folder and put the mp4 video file inside it, created a new tiddler, inserted the tags to display the video file with the right path, but it continuously displays the blinking circles without starting to play the file.

Jed Carty

May 4, 2020, 11:55:17 AM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
streaming video from the server isn't supported until the next version.