Suggestion -- two or more savers

Mark S.

Oct 27, 2020, 1:01:09 PM10/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
It would be easier to keep backups with some systems if there was a way to use two savers. Or, if that isn't possible, a way to use a 2nd saver automatically every "nth" time, as configured by the user. Or every "nth" time use both savers (but not use them both all the time because of the overhead involved).

It could even be useful the other way. That is, having every single save go to Github is unnecessary (remember, GH keeps those commits forever) and might even draw the ire of GitHub admin. So instead you could use the download saver but every "nth" time make a backup to GH for safe-keeping in the cloud.

PMario

Oct 27, 2020, 1:29:15 PM10/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

There is a pending PR at github, which contains "async/await" functions, so it can't be included into the TW core. ... But it could be a plugin.

The original author didn't publish a plugin yet, but it seems he uses it, to save TW to IPFS. ... So it seems to be stable.

-mario

Mark S.

Oct 27, 2020, 2:04:15 PM10/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
I can understand that something with async might not go into the core, but if the saver could alternate that would work also and wouldn't require a saver to wait for another.

PMario

Oct 27, 2020, 8:24:07 PM10/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 7:04:15 PM UTC+1, Mark S. wrote:
I can understand that something with async might not go into the core, but if the saver could alternate that would work also and wouldn't require a saver to wait for another.

I think alternating is too confusing and error-prone. You manually have to save 2 times.

The biggest advantage of the PR is, that you can define 2 or more savers to be active at the same time.
eg: If I store to WebDav I can also store with browser AddOn.

I didn't test the PR yet ... but I probably should.

-m

Mark S.

Oct 28, 2020, 12:52:15 AM10/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
I attempted to create a plugin from the 6 tiddlers (creating the one language tiddler from the new entry in multi-tids).

But I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. The only noticeable difference is the drop down menu inside the configuration panel. What is the difference between manualdownload and download? What is tiddlyiesaver (and is that a spelling error?). What is twedit? What is "upload" ? How can there even be an upload saver? Is tiddlyfox the same saver that is used in Timimi?

So, do you have any idea how this is supposed to work or what the user is supposed to select?

Thanks!