Introduction and first question

JWHoneycutt

Sep 25, 2016, 2:28:29 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
My name is Jeffrey Honeycutt (JWHoneycutt) and I am new to TiddlyWiki.

As a Newbie, all of TiddlyWiki (TW5) has been a pleasure and a struggle.

I see tremendous potential in software that is web-based, works when not connected to the web, and is OS platform and mobile environment independent.

I have a million questions - and the resources provided often assume a familiarity with programming suitable for developers, or a degree of understanding beyond me for the time being. I am a physician and an Informatics guy, and I just want to make a really useful wiki.

I have created a few basic wikis, including one called Test Wiki which is creating a documentation trail as I learn. I want to openly share it with this group.

I created a host location on http://jwhoneycutt.tiddlyspot.com/ but it does not look and feel like the TW5 I'm used to (assuming it's TiddlyWiki classic).

Do I have to keep the WelcomeToTiddlyspot page so that I have a SAVE TO WEB button - I think I have to make changes online only?

Do I have to import one tiddler at a time or can I bring my TW5 intact into the space? Either answer - I don't know how.

Thanks in advance.

JWHoneycutt

Mark S.

Sep 25, 2016, 3:11:31 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Tiddlyspot is years out of date, for some reason. What is serves up by default is an old, Classic TW.

The instructions for uploading the new TW can be found here:

http://tiddlywiki.com/#Saving%20on%20TiddlySpot

In a nutshell, open the document you have created in a Chrome browser. In the configuration panel, under the "saving" tab, poke in the name of the TW and the password you have created on tiddlyspot. Then save. That hopefully will load up everything you've done to the tiddlyspot site. Once you have it uploaded, you can use browsers other than Chrome to access and save it.

HTH
Mark

JWHoneycutt

Sep 25, 2016, 5:02:54 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

Thank you for the info and the updated place to get TiddlySpot.

I may have created trouble for myself because I started with a version of TWC (old link). Now when I use my newly downloaded Chrome to pull up my local Wiki, it either tries to save forever or saves - but when I navigate to it it is still the old TWC format.

Maybe I should completely delete everything TiddlySpot and reapproach brand new with the new link you sent me? Will TiddlySpot let me purge my prior login?

Jeffrey

JWHoneycutt

Sep 25, 2016, 5:14:18 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
So I went onto jwhoneycutt.tiddlyspot.com and deleted all the tiddlers I could. I don't think this is going to refresh my account. I guess I have to create a new name and abandon this one (it won't let me reuse it).

Jeffrey

Jed Carty

Sep 25, 2016, 5:21:15 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
It does take a long time to do the upload. don't be surprised if it takes a minute or more. You won't gain anything by making a new account since you will have to upload a new wiki anyway.

Mat

Sep 25, 2016, 5:48:44 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeffrey and congrats in finding TW5 :-)

I made a quick TW5 tiddlyspot for you;  jwhoneycutt2.tiddlyspot.com with password:password (change it via url .../controlpanel ). It is based on a pre-made TW5 that I use to quickly make tiddlyspots for my various stuff, so it has a few pre-installed plugins that you can delete if you don't like.

You can save it over to your own tiddlyspot by simply editing the name in Ctrlpanel>Saving

<:-)

Mat

Sep 25, 2016, 5:50:28 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 11:21:15 PM UTC+2, Jed Carty wrote:
It does take a long time to do the upload. don't be surprised if it takes a minute or more.

Hm, I would defnintely be surprised if that was the case for me. I guess it's a matter of internet connection because we're not talking that big a file.

<:-)

JWHoneycutt

Sep 25, 2016, 10:27:41 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you so much Mat.

Because I keep encountering problems, I am removing as many variables as possible.

I am using jwhoneycutt2.tiddlywiki.com, with the password "password".

I loaded Chrome, and dragged and dropped from Finder to the command line in Chrome. I named my wiki "TestWiki" in case the blank space in the name was creating problems.

In (Chrome browser) TestWiki - Control panel - Saving I "poke in the name of the TW (TestWiki) and the password (password) you have created on tiddlyspot. Then save."

Popup Error message:
This page says:
Error while saving:
Error: Username or Password do not match
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
Access-Control-Allow-Headers: X-Requested-With
Username: TestWiki Password: xxxxxxxx

I'm sure I'm making a simple mistake...

Any insights appreciated.

Jeffrey

JWHoneycutt

Sep 25, 2016, 10:47:22 PM9/25/16
to TiddlyWiki
OK, I figured something out!

The name of the Wiki IS "jwhoneycutt2" regardless of what I call it within the wiki...

So now my TestWiki is available for viewing. Mark S., Jed, and Mat - thank you!

Now I have a million questions... - jwhoneycutt2.tiddlyspot.com

Jeffrey