[Question] is there a way to run a "local" file from TW5?

Tony K

May 26, 2020, 3:09:59 AM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
I am looking into adding some links to files I have on my disks in TW5 for easy search and access

I did use the external link command / format but when I click on the file it is not running it

is there a workaround around  it?

merci

Reet Pandher

May 26, 2020, 3:58:54 AM5/26/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Possible causes:
  1. There are spaces in the name.(No idea how to solve that one apart from renaming everything to remove spaces)
  2. Formatting error for the file name. Instead of using [[link |D:\AllNotes\TiddlyWiki\file.py]] use [[link |file:///D:/AllNotes/TiddlyWiki/file.py]]
    Use forwardslash instead of backslash
Thanks

TonyM

May 26, 2020, 5:29:09 AM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tink

Are you using tiddly desktop to get past typical browser limitations.

I do this a lot so can share examples later. I am cooking now.

Tony

Tony K

May 26, 2020, 5:51:12 AM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Tony no I am using NodeJs and, as you said, it looks like it is not doable
thanks

TonyM

May 26, 2020, 6:23:38 AM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tony

There are features in the prior version of timimi and ways one may get the node server to respond on your behalf but its not strait forward.

I have a specific tiddlydesktop wiki and drag drop import and export as needed to build my local interactive. On windows HTA files have some although lesser interactions localy.

Regards
Tonym

Mark S.

May 26, 2020, 9:35:52 AM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
In order to access local files from a node.js TW installation, the files themselves have to be served up.

Starting 5.1.20 (?) there is a static file server built into TW on node, so you can serve up regular files from a specified location:

TiddlyServer and Bob can also serve up documents and also allow you to run multiple wikis from the same port number.