Some stupid questions...

S1ack

Dec 21, 2020, 12:21:45 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
First off, glad to see people discussing this topic - when what I usually experience is a bunch of dead 10 year old links.

Hope I can get some help.

The stupid questions....

1) How does Tiddlyfox plugin/extension identify an html that it will allow saving?
2) Is there anything online akin to the MonkeyGTD (later called mGSD) flavor of tiddylwiki.

I am a bit worried that my reliance on these things is not sustainable.

TL;DR
Long time user of both tiddywiki and MonkeyGTD. I have kept notes from 'tiddlyfox apocalypse'' as I've migrated from PC to PC and browser to browser as they started removing the ability to write locally, in order to keep my beloved functionality intact. Settled on a developer version of firefox with tiddlyfox add-on that is set for never updating. This firefox is never used for online tasks.

Be that as it may. I find my self whishing to create a  shiny new blank/empty MonkeyGTD, and never saved one from back in the day. I downloaded all of the mGSD from github and found the demo (essentially an empty MonkeyGTD by the looks of it), and the regular tw empty in there. However, while the empty.html is identified by the tiddlyfox plug-in, annoyingly, the 'nicedemo.html' gtd is not recognized as such, and it will not save.

I played around with a file diff finder for a bit, but I did not see anything obvious.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

S1ack

Dec 21, 2020, 4:20:29 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Nevermind I think just may move to the future and TW5.

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 21, 2020, 4:36:30 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
You may have better luck in the discussion group for TiddlyWiki Classic:

TW Tones

Dec 21, 2020, 5:06:37 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
MonkeyGTD introduced many nice ways to contribute to TWC design, TW5 has inherited many of these ideas and incorporated them into the core, or can be found nearby in macros or plugins.

TW5 stands on the shoulders of giant's including MonkeyGTD. There are new and different ways in TW5 and some old methods superseded, new concepts needed etc... but there is no doubt TW5 opens up the possibilities much further than before.

Your questions
1) This is about saving? this question is out of place - look at Timimi or TW-receiver but they are but a couple of the new savings solutions available now.
2) It depends on what you are looking for. Perhaps ask for that, rather than for a MonkeyGTD alternative and you will get more suggestions (Cardio comes to mind)

Finally in some ways the days of the full solutions like MonkeyGTD are gone because so many of the features can be found in the core.

Tones

S1ack

Dec 21, 2020, 5:50:03 PM12/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
> Finally in some ways the days of the full solutions like MonkeyGTD are gone because so many of the features can be found in the core
Yes, I realized that as I started to mess around a bit more.
If I can get up to speed on widgets (checkboxes mainly), and figure out columns (I saw some mention of Shiraz regarding this), then I think I can manage.

>This is about saving? this question is out of place - look at Timimi or TW-receiver but they are but a couple of the new savings solutions available now.
The confusing thing is/was Timimi, TiddlyDesktop, and TiddlyFox all fail to save the 'nicedemo.xml' I extracted from the mGSD github. Both work fine otherwise, even with my old, now cluttered with 10 years of crap MonkeyGTD file.

strikke...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2020, 3:37:30 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
While we cannot actively use tiddlyspot, you should still be able to download. Have you looked at http://gsd5.tiddlyspot.com/

It is an old version now,  but if you like it, maybe it could get you started.

Birthe

TW Tones

Dec 22, 2020, 8:07:06 PM12/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
S1ack

I don't understand the issue with 'nicedemo.xml' to help I am afraid.

TiddlyWiki can save to html, and similar filenames.

Tones

Peter Rauch

Dec 23, 2020, 8:50:38 AM12/23/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I should have typed nicedemo.html dunno why I was thinking XML.
The tiddlyfox plugin does not recognize it as a tiddlywiki file, so it doesn't offer to save it.
The other methods all pop up a dialog when attempting to save.

Kind Regards,

Peter Rauch
peter....@gmail.com

Peter Rauch

Dec 23, 2020, 9:02:25 AM12/23/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks much! I think this is something I can pickup and run with.