How To: Replacing manual tiddler links with transcluded little fishy links

Charlie Veniot

Sep 18, 2020, 10:09:10 PM9/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
G'day

On occasion, I prefer to show the title of a tiddler without it showing as a tiddler link (just for consistent formatting that matches other text), but still want a link to that tiddler "right there".  In those cases, I used to show the title of the tiddler as regular text followed by the link to the tiddler with alternate text (usually something low-key like a period.

For example:  {{Some Tiddler!!title}} [[.|Some Tiddler]]

I just recently adopted a tweaked approach, based on a suggestion by Felicia Crow for something else (thank-you!!!), and using this little guy (which I've recently become kind of attached to because he is so frigging cute: 🐟

Now, instead:  {{Some Tiddler||tFishyRef}}  (that winds up adding a superscript 🐟 tiddler link. )

Please see screenshots below for the full monty.

Cheers !

SuperscriptTiddlerFishyLink.png

FishyLinkWikiText.png

FishyLinkTemplate.png

TW Tones

Sep 19, 2020, 8:50:27 PM9/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Charlie;

This is a nice code pattern, thanks for sharing it with the community.

You may be interested in this advanced addition
  • Let us say you wanted "HOUSEBAY Digital Alarm Clock" to be a system tiddler, eg "$:/HOUSEBAY Digital Alarm Clock"
  • Inside tFishyRef you could do this
<$set name=system-tiddler value={{{ [all[current]addprefix[$:/]] }}}>
<$tiddler tiddler=<<system-tiddler>>

your original tFishyRef here

</$tiddler>

But you still transclude it as such
{{HOUSEBAY Digital Alarm Clock||tFishyRef}}

Notes:
  • This demonstrates how a template can do something more with the current tiddler passed in the template
  • You could use any prefix
  • Rather than current tiddler you could pass a tag name and transclude all tagged
  • This opens a very extensible set of solutions, in addition to those already enabled by your technique above.
Regards
Tony

Charlie Veniot

Sep 19, 2020, 9:34:46 PM9/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
G'day Tony,

I stared and stared and stared, like a deer in the headlights, at what you wrote, and I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at.

Then I suddenly got it.  And although not particularly fast, me wheels are spinning as I understand a little more how filters work.

That is some neat.  Thanks !

TW Tones

Sep 19, 2020, 9:46:02 PM9/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Charlie,

Its always hard when it just on the edge of our skills.

I plan to start a new thread to look at making use of this, in a substantial way. Keep an eye out.

Tones

Charlie Veniot

Sep 21, 2020, 1:15:08 PM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Often, I like to open a tiddler via little fishy link.

Occasionally, I like to view a tiddler in a separate new window (to quickly view that tiddler, maybe print that tiddler.)

Results in screenshot below.  //(Well, I need to tweak that a bit so that the "open in new window" image doesn't take as much "line" space.)//

Cheers !

TiddlyWiki Thing.jpg

TW Tones

Sep 21, 2020, 11:15:58 PM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Charlie,

A little more to add to your technique.

When in a given tiddler, it is the current tiddler, if you transclude something such as {{||tiddlername}}, the || will transclude it with the current tiddler the set to the current tiddler.

As a result most buttons can be transcluded thus
{{||$:/core/ui/Buttons/open-window}}

Of course this can be also done inside a list where the currentTiddler changes
or open a specific tiddler
{{thistiddler||$:/core/ui/Buttons/open-window}}

The open in new window only displays the text field, after rendering. It does not include any other results such as from the view template, and you can edit it in that windows without help.

I have made two buttons that allow you to open in new window in full view or edit mode, just sak

Tones

Charlie Veniot

Sep 21, 2020, 11:53:48 PM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
If "sak" means "send a kiss", I sure hope that's a "Hershey's Kiss".

Yeah, I'm not quite up on all the texting lingo...

$hit$ and giggle$ aside, and only when you've got the time to spare:  sure, I'd love to see them two buttons.

Here's a virtual 330 kisses:

kisses.jpg

TW Tones

Sep 22, 2020, 7:25:53 PM9/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Charlie,

Still not published, but effectively stand alone buttons install the attached JSON.

The buttons will appear on tiddlers, but you can also transclude them in any tiddler or list that changes the currentTiddler

{{||

$:/PSaT/new-windows/view-button}}

{{||$:/PSaT/new-windows/edit-button}}

Feed back appreciated before I do publish.

Being Australian you can see here the caramel kisses I like (number 20) https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/food/top-40-australian-lollies-candy-sweets

Regards
Tones
new-windows.json

Charlie Veniot

Sep 22, 2020, 7:58:24 PM9/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
I don't know what it says about me:  I really enjoyed that candy trip.  A strange and fun way to visit another country. Thanks!

Now I've got to get those awesome treats out of my head.  I feel my waistline expanding just thinking about 'em.

I'm a pooped pup, so playing with those json files later.  Much appreciated !

danraymond

Oct 20, 2020, 3:21:37 AM10/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tones,
Like this a lot. Works for me.

Whats the simplest way to change the icon images?

TW Tones

Oct 22, 2020, 5:48:52 AM10/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Dan,

The icon images come from the tiddlers that I transcluded which are
  • $:/PSaT/new-windows/view-button
  • $:/PSaT/new-windows/edit-button
If you edit them look for whare the icons are transcluded and change them. The ones I used were experimental overlays of two images in svg.

If you come up with some nice alternative please share.

Tones