TW5 Jump to top

Dave

Sep 19, 2016, 10:39:21 PM9/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
A long time ago Saq Imitaz (sp?) made this thing called a hover menu that hovered at the side of the screen no matter where you were in the list of tiddlers.  It had several handy functions we normally see in menus, like save, new tiddler, etc,

but one function I can't see to find anywhere else is "jump to top".  It was just a "^" character that when you clicked it you would immediately navigate to the top of the list of tiddlers.

Is there a widget or something I can put in a tiddler or sidebar that duplicates that function?

Thanks,
Dave

Tobias Beer

Sep 20, 2016, 3:30:28 AM9/20/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

The functionality to scroll up top is coded in less than 10 minutes, the whole hover menu not. In general, In TW2 I found the hover menu to be mostly clutter. In other words, it was neat, but I never really used it as it was.

However, while not the answer you were asking for: unless you're on a tablet: HOME / POS1 on your keyboard will do. On a tablet, a generous swipe should do as well. Also, remember the open list in the sidebar, that's possibly a better way to scroll to the tiddler of interest. Other than that, you may want to look into making a sticky header that is always visible, if you need this for some main navigation.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

Jed Carty

Sep 20, 2016, 4:02:04 AM9/20/16
to TiddlyWiki
You could probably make a button that uses the navigator widget to go to whatever the first tiddler in the story river is, which should be at the top. I will look at it.

Jed Carty

Sep 20, 2016, 4:07:22 AM9/20/16
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, this button should work for you:

<$button>
^
<$list variable='Target' filter='[list[$:/StoryList]first[]]'>
<$action-navigate $to=<<Target>>/>
</$list>
</$button>

Jed Carty

Sep 20, 2016, 4:23:34 AM9/20/16
to TiddlyWiki
I put it up on the wiki reference wiki here. I hadn't thought of doing this before.

Dave

Sep 20, 2016, 3:12:20 PM9/20/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Jed, that works perfect!

Thomas Elmiger

Sep 22, 2016, 2:29:26 AM9/22/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you very much! An often missed feature.

I placed my version in the corner at the right bottom and tried to optimize accessibility.
A short documentation is available here: http://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html#Link%20to%20Top%20of%20Story – including a link to Jed’s original.

Kind regards
Thomas