[TW5] How big can a tiddlywiki file be?

John

Aug 11, 2015, 11:46:42 PM8/11/15
to TiddlyWiki
The question was previously asked in 2005. (jeremy)
Would like to know how things have changed in 2015 with TW5.

"I just started using TW yesterday, but how
large of a file can TW get to be and still function without hiccups in the desktop application and in the browser
For instance, 3 years down the road after Journal entries
every day, study notes, etc..."(jeremy)

Can they all be in one file or should study notes be in one file, journal entries in another and brainstorming ideas in another. Or else does it slow the searches once the file size grows beyond a limit?

magev958

Aug 12, 2015, 3:59:30 AM8/12/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi, I have a TW5 with more than 27000 tiddlers, most of of them empty. The TW is ~10Mb and it is a little slow. Saving can take up to 30sec in Firefox without any addon
But it is still usable

PMario

Aug 12, 2015, 9:32:41 AM8/12/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi John,

As long as you don't include too many binary files. eg: large images, pdfs, ... you should be fine.

-m

Mark S.

Aug 12, 2015, 12:11:32 PM8/12/15
to TiddlyWiki
Some of the answer is going to depend on the type of machine you are running. I notice definite lags with my 5meg TW's on a netbook. Not so much on a desktop.

In the past we could depend on hardware to constantly improve in terms of speed. In the last half decade that has not been quite as true. Indexed databases could be immense, even on 486 machines. Non-indexed data managers (like TW) hit a wall quickly. I'm guessing that 30megs is the practical upper limit for most home computers. That's still a lot of text.

Mark