Don't get along with ExternalImages and NodeJS

Daniel S.

Mar 23, 2017, 7:03:06 AM3/23/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Guys,

i know there have been a lot of questions about this topic here in the forum but i still don't get whats possible and how to achieve it in regard to ExternalImages and NodeJS.

Situation: I am running Tiddlywiki with NodeJS and i want to only use external images (due to performance reasons). But i don't know how to do it. I tried to create an Image Tiddler with a canonical uri which points to the absolute path of the image but the Image Tiddler doesn't show anything. I also created a folder mynewwiki/tiddlers/images and tried to set the canonical uri on a relative path but that doesn't work either.

I think there is a misunderstanding from my side how this works in general. So maybe you can help me with that.

Best regards.

PMario

Mar 23, 2017, 9:24:29 AM3/23/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 12:03:06 PM UTC+1, Daniel S. wrote:
I think there is a misunderstanding from my side how this works in general. So maybe you can help me with that.

The tiddlywiki --server command is no general purpose file server. That's why your images are not served. There are some open pull requests to improve the "asset" serving behaviour, but they are not merged yet. ... There is no info atm, if they ever will ....

-mario

Xavier Cazin

Mar 23, 2017, 11:24:00 AM3/23/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Daniel,

Did you have a look at http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#tiddlywiki.files%20Files, and especially the Example section ? As stated there, the processing of tiddlywiki.files files has been ehanced recently. I'm only experienced with simple forms of tiddlywiki.files, but its avanced features may help you achieve what you want.

Best regards,
Xavier.

-- Xavier Cazin

Daniel S.

Mar 23, 2017, 11:53:58 AM3/23/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

it seems that its not possible to achieve what i want with just tiddlywiki and nodejs. Since nodejs cannot serve local files, its not possible to see external images in tiddlywiki when they are located on your hdd. So i have to either externalize my images on a webserver or to work without nodejs and local images.

Very unfortunate but thank you very much.

Mark S.

Mar 25, 2017, 11:58:49 PM3/25/17
to TiddlyWiki
I agree that this is a problem and an impediment to using nodejs. Apparently a lot of people just use TiddlyWiki for text and don't recognize the problem.

One solution, since you're already using nodejs, is to launch http-server in a separate command window. See https://www.npmjs.com/package/http-server. Then serve up tiddlers from that local server.

Good luck,
Mark