Drag N Drop Email (From Thunderbird)

Furicle

Feb 1, 2018, 11:54:54 AM2/1/18
to TiddlyWiki

I put a lot of email content into my wiki, with my own notes above/below.

But I can't find a good, simple way to both retain the basic formatting, and intersperse my own text.

Right now I'm
  • right-click → copy to clipboard → message in Thunderbird
  • open a new tiddler
  • paste
  • set the pasted material as plain text via ```

I lose colour, clickable links, pretty formatting of the headers, pretty indentation etc

The other way I've found is to
  • save the email as HTML
  • import the html file into a tiddler
  • create a tiddler and transclude  the email in
I get clickable links and formatting, but I can't edit the content of the email or make notes inside of it without hand editing HTML

What I'd like to be able to do is just drag and drop it in.

If I do that, it creates a tiddler with a type of message/rfc822

The top half is the plain text version of the email, with mangled formatting.
The bottom half is the html portion, displayed reasonably well.

If I could tell it to hide the plain text portion, that would save a couple steps, but I'm still hand editing HTML when I want to intersperse things.

Can I change document types "mid tiddler" so to speak?
Or?

Any suggestions appreciated,

Furicle

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 2, 2018, 3:53:37 AM2/2/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi furicle,

It sounds like the best solution would be create a tiddler deserializer for the message/rfc822 format. A deserializer is a JavaScript function that generates tiddlers given a block of text and a MIME type. The message/rfc822 format can contain multiple blocks of content (eg, a message and the attached images) which would be converted into separate tiddlers.

Best wishes

BJ

Feb 2, 2018, 4:52:22 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
 Hi Furicle,

it is possible to edit html using ckeditor. - http://bjtools.tiddlyspot.com/#VisualEditor
If you create a new tiddler and give it the type 'text/html' or 'text/htmlp' (which allow transclusions and wikilinks), you can paste you content into the editor window, save it and then edit it when you need to.

all the best

BJ

PMario

Feb 2, 2018, 6:18:56 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

http://tw5editor.tiddlyspot.com/ There may be one possibility you should test. One of the editor icons is an email-converter.

IMO worth some testing.

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Feb 2, 2018, 9:49:07 AM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

Is that by Stephen Kimmel?

I think he's a bit of an unsung genius.

Josiah

Ton Gerner

Feb 2, 2018, 12:17:04 PM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

Is that by Stephen Kimmel?

Yes, it's him.

AFAIK http://tw5editor.tiddlyspot.com/ was made before the toolbar editor was introduced.
Stephen made lateron plugins for the toolbar editor, see http://skplugins.tiddlyspot.com/
Email convert plugin: http://skplugins.tiddlyspot.com/#Email%20Convert

Cheers,

Ton

Furicle

Feb 2, 2018, 12:18:07 PM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki

Yes, that does sounds ideal.  Auto splitting attachments, plain and html text into into their own tiddlers so you could choose to import or discard, very cool.

After doing a bit of reading about deserializers being part of the TW core, it also sounds well above my current abilities. :-)

Thanks for the note, though, it proves I wasn't missing something obvious.

Furicle

Feb 2, 2018, 12:19:07 PM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki

Hmmm - that's interesting.

It basically automates the hand editing I do when I cut and paste the text version.

I'll have to figure out how to pull the 'editing tools' as it doesn't look like it's a plug in?

Ton Gerner

Feb 2, 2018, 12:49:06 PM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

$:/plugins/sk/EmailConvert is a plugin

Cheers,

Ton

Furicle

Feb 2, 2018, 2:01:44 PM2/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
Aha!
Thanks Ton!

And now that I poke at it a bit, I see the guts of the thing looks like some sort of regex.... So I might be able to tweak it a bit more.

Right now it mungs up quote levels that use >

And it would be nice to format the standard email headers a bit.

@TiddlyTweeter

Feb 2, 2018, 2:27:50 PM2/2/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Furicle

If you want to do raw regex yourself to enable new Content Types then BJ's "Flexibility" plugin is pretty amazing. Not, perhaps  so easy to understand at first, but will, basically, parse anything you have the time and interest to write regex for: http://flexibility.tiddlyspot.com/. Its a regex aware variant of his "FlexiType" plugin: http://bjtools.tiddlyspot.com/#Flexitype%20Demos

Best wishes
Josiah