<$select> and Web accessibility

st...@sunypoly.edu

Mar 3, 2019, 3:44:07 PM3/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Would anyone know how to make the <$select> generate html that would meet standard Web accessibility requirements?

Thanks,

//steve.

TonyM

Mar 3, 2019, 5:09:38 PM3/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
Steve,

I do not know, but looking at an accessible version of the html <select> tag may provide a start.

Tony

st...@sunypoly.edu

Mar 3, 2019, 5:18:18 PM3/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
OK, that would make sense. I think it might be relatively simple; just requires a tooltip perhaps.

Would clonining https://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fmodules%2Fwidgets%2Fselect.js and then modifying it so that <$select-accessible> accepted a tooltip? Something like

<$select-accessible tooltip="Here is the tooltip"/>

or something like that would work?

(Naturally, I have absolutely no idea how to do this...)

//steve.

TonyM

Mar 3, 2019, 6:07:23 PM3/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
steve,

If accessibility primarily needs a tooltip

Alternatively what about placing along side your select widget an empty button with a tooltip?

Regards
Tony

st...@sunypoly.edu

Mar 3, 2019, 6:23:26 PM3/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
Tony wrote: Alternatively what about placing along side your select widget an empty button with a tooltip?

Tony, I think you've got it!

Paste this in a new tiddler (for example, at TiddlyWiki.com)

<$button tooltip="This select widget displays a list of the tags in this wiki">
<$select  tiddler=<<qualify 'select-demo'>> default='HelloThere'>
<$list filter='[all[shadows+tiddlers]tags[]sort[title]]'>
<option value=<<currentTiddler>>><$view field='title'/></option>
</$list>
</$select>
</$button>

  • Does anyone use TiddlyWiki with reader software that could tell us if this works?
  • Has anyone run a TiddlyWiki through any Web Accessibility tests (or know how?), to see if this feature would be considered accessible?
Thanks!

//steve.

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 4, 2019, 3:19:50 AM3/4/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I think we really need to add a tooltip attribute to the <$select> widget. I'll look at it as soon as I can (unless any other developers want to have a go at a PR?),

Best wishes

Thomas Elmiger

Mar 4, 2019, 7:13:37 AM3/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all,

My proposal would be to wrap the select in a visible label-tag:

<label>This select widget displays a list of the tags in this wiki
<$select  tiddler=<<qualify 'select-demo'>> default='HelloThere'>
<$list filter='[all[shadows+tiddlers]tags[]sort[title]]'>
<option value=<<currentTiddler>>><$view field='title'/></option>
</$list>
</$select>
</label>

Accessibility concerns:
  • Why would you hide important information from sighted users?
  • Accessibility of tooltips for mobile users?

All the best,
Thomas

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 4, 2019, 7:25:44 AM3/4/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I think we really need to add a tooltip attribute to the <$select> widget. I'll look at it as soon as I can (unless any other developers want to have a go at a PR?),

I’ve added the “tooltip” attribute to the select widget:

The update will be available at https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease in 6 or 7 minutes,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

st...@sunypoly.edu

Mar 4, 2019, 2:31:59 PM3/4/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Jeremy. Will test and let you know, but it works on the pre-release site. I update our wiki and send it off to be inspected :) //steve.