TiddlyChrome and the elimination of Chrome Apps

Andy Pastuszak

Sep 26, 2016, 11:09:38 AM9/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
Google announced that it will no longer support Chrome apps on the desktop builds of Chrome.

This is putting a lot of developers in a bad place, I am sure.  Does this mean that TiddlyChrome is pretty much dead now?

Danielo Rodríguez

Sep 26, 2016, 11:12:04 AM9/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
Any link or reference to the announcement?

Eneko Gotzon

Sep 26, 2016, 5:05:57 PM9/26/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Danielo Rodríguez <rdan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any link or reference to the announcement?

​If you are talking about the Chrome app launcher then read here: ​
Chromium Blog
​.​

--
Eneko Gotzon Ares
eneko...@gmail.com

Paul Hutchinson

Sep 26, 2016, 10:47:47 PM9/26/16
to TiddlyWiki
I believe it is in reference to this announcement: http://blog.chromium.org/2016/08/from-chrome-apps-to-web.html

Paul

Greg Davis

Sep 27, 2016, 8:57:34 AM9/27/16
to TiddlyWiki
If you are worried about TiddlyChrome going away, example for putting a TiddlyWiki on Tiddlyspot, then you might want to consider getting a copy of Google Chrome Portable from PortableApps.com http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

It can be "installed" locally on your PC without their Platform. Just add TiddlyChrome and then zip the entire folder to keep in case later versions of Chrome drop support for the app. It is an online installer to comply with Google licensing, so you will have to install to get Chrome. You shold note on that link that because of Chrome's design it does have issues with portable use so a local install probably avoids those issues. If you don't like it just delete the GoogleChromePortable folder, it's gone.

Came in handy when Chrome dropped support for XP, which still use occasionaly, made copies of the last few as neared version that dropped support.

Paul Hutchinson

Sep 27, 2016, 9:27:00 AM9/27/16
to TiddlyWiki
FYI OldVersion.com has archived the old installers for most popular software, the ones for Chrome are here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/google-chrome/

Paul

Arlen Beiler

Sep 30, 2016, 9:39:02 PM9/30/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Everyone,
Although the App Store will be phased out, I believe we will be able to drag-and-drop install until early 2018. The blog post concerning this is at https://blog.chromium.org/2016/08/from-chrome-apps-to-web.html.

Because of this, I'm not planning to put it on the app store. :)

Secondly, if you are going to try to use a portable chrome install or something like that, my recommendation is to use TiddlyDesktop. If you don't want to use that, for any reason, you can also try an Electron app that I made for myself. I have it posted on GitHub in case anyone is interested. https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyWiki-Electron. The Electron app is slightly leaner, but both of them are sandboxed, I believe, meaning that the TiddlyWiki does not have access to NodeJS.

-Arlen

Josiah

Oct 1, 2016, 8:31:04 AM10/1/16
to TiddlyWiki
just a general  comment. Google, with their huge user base, tend to be good on transitions. Don't panic!

The timetable for changes is reasonable. The next step is establish what needs to built to continue Chrome support in year or two.

josiah

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 8:57:34 AM UTC-4, Greg Davis wrote:
[...]

Alfonso Arciniega

Oct 14, 2016, 11:30:45 AM10/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Well, as of today, TiddlyChrome does not work properly anymore for me. That is, the App opens, but it does not load any TW5 document. Running the latest Google Chrome 53.0.2785.143 in Windows 7 Enterprise 6.1 64-bit.
Cheers,
Alfonso

Alfonso Arciniega

Oct 14, 2016, 11:35:02 AM10/14/16
to TiddlyWiki
Please discard my previous message. I updated Chrome to 54.0.2840.59 and TiddlyChrome is working again. Apologies...
Alfonso

Arlen Beiler

Oct 14, 2016, 12:15:57 PM10/14/16
to TiddlyWiki