left-hand column Container

Ken Gray

Jul 21, 2020, 11:47:02 PM7/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
In tw2, I had a tiddler that was expressly for the  left-hand column of the page.  it ran the full length and gave the page three vertical containers.  Is that available for tw5?

Birthe C

Jul 22, 2020, 12:16:55 AM7/22/20
to TiddlyWiki

Birthe

TW Tones

Jul 22, 2020, 12:23:19 AM7/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Left bar is useful but It did not work for me on mobile

Regards
Tony

Eric Shulman

Jul 22, 2020, 12:41:37 AM7/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 8:47:02 PM UTC-7, Ken Gray wrote:
In tw2, I had a tiddler that was expressly for the  left-hand column of the page.  it ran the full length and gave the page three vertical containers.  Is that available for tw5?

In TWClassic (aka TW2), the was a default (shadow) tiddler called "MainMenu" that appeared on the left.

In TW5, the default layout doesn't have a  MainMenu, but  you can create one relatively easily, like this:

1) Create a tiddler named "MainMenu"
2) Tag it with "$:/tags/PageTemplate"
3) Create a field named "list-before" (leave the value blank)
4) Enter the following content:

Stuff Here

More stuff here
5) In the $:/ControlPanel, Appearance, ThemeTweaks, set the "Story left position" to leave room for the desired width of the MainMenu (e.g., "20em")
(note: you can also directly set this value in $:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/storyleft)

That's it.  You can now edit the MainMenu tiddler to show whatever content you like.

Notes:
* If you want the MainMenu to NOT scroll with the page, use "position:fixed" instead of "position:absolute"
* If you want the MainMenu to wrap its contents to fit the width, add "width:20em;"
* Adjust the "margin-top:1em" to suit your taste

enjoy,
-e

Ken Gray

Jul 22, 2020, 8:31:51 AM7/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
You guys are awesome!!!
Thanks.  Went with leftbar because easy and don't use mobile for this.