Selecting tags from the drop-down -menu using keyboard

DemoniWaari

Jul 11, 2018, 10:21:31 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Complete TiddlyWiki noob here, started using it two days ago.

Is is possible to select a tag with my keyboard from the drop-down -menu that pops up when I start writing a specific tag? It's quite annoying that each time I start typing out a tag and I see the correct tag after writing two or three first letters of it I have to use my mouse to select it. I can't tab to the list and press enter.

Another thing that's relatively annoying is that I have to tab through all of the edit bar buttons to get to the text field. Can I remove this somehow?

What I'd like to do is start writing a tag, see the one I'm interested in, press down arrow x times to highlight it, enter to add it and tab to the text field.

BurningTreeC

Jul 11, 2018, 10:46:55 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi @DemoniWaari,

welcome in this Forum :)

there's the KeeBoord plugin which enables Tab navigation like you describe

I could maybe modify it and make it configurable so that one can press the down-arrow in the tag input field to be able to select tags by pressing Tab and hitting Enter to add the selected Tag...
I was already thinking about doing that but didn't find the time

If you want to give the keeboord plugin a try, the tab-navigation can be enabled in the plugin tiddler, under "config". Just open the ControlPanel, go to "plugins" click on the KeeBoord plugin and select the "config" tab, then check the checkbox

hope this helps,
BTC

DemoniWaari

Jul 11, 2018, 10:56:53 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Oh nice! This is exactly how I wanted to transition from the tags to the text field, thank you!

Shame that it does not allow the keyboard selection of tags. If you do add it into the plugin please let me know :)

BurningTreeC

Jul 11, 2018, 11:35:55 AM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Oh nice! This is exactly how I wanted to transition from the tags to the text field, thank you!

Shame that it does not allow the keyboard selection of tags. If you do add it into the plugin please let me know :)

Great! I'll let you know in this thread!

BTC

Diego Mesa

Jul 11, 2018, 3:01:08 PM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hey BTC,

Just curious, is there a PR to get KeeBoord into the core? IMO its essential.

Best,
Diego

TonyM

Jul 11, 2018, 8:29:06 PM7/11/18
to TiddlyWiki

DemoniWaari

Welcome to the community,  since your only new you are possibly yet to discover that TidlyWiki's interface is highly configurable and as you learn you can almost make it bend to any desire.

I suspect creating tiddler that that adds tags, then giving it a shortcut key may be somewhat trivial, but you will learn it becomes easy to build anything, and the community is great help.

Regards
Tony

Shame that it does not allow the keyboard selection of tags

DemoniWaari

Jul 12, 2018, 3:14:06 AM7/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hmm... I did not even think about that. Set title, tab tab to text, start writing something like "#myPersonalTag", the hashtag opens up a secondary tiddler with my tags where I can select the one I want with arrows. Sounds great actually, though no idea on how to build one so that might take me a while to do. Maybe easier would be to tab tab to text, then use a keyboard shortcut to open up a secondary tiddler and do the search for a tag there. Thanks for the input!

BurningTreeC

Jul 12, 2018, 9:12:45 AM7/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi @DemoniWaari,

you activate tags-selection pressing the down-arrow when the tags input is focused (when the tags dropdown is shown)
then you can select tags by pressing Tab
hitting enter adds the tag
then, when you want to jump to the textarea below, you hit the down-arrow again, to deactivate tag-selection

This is in an early state and may need some refinements

BTC

DemoniWaari

Jul 24, 2018, 6:08:37 AM7/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Unfortunately the arrow keys do not seem to work in the demo page and I have no idea how to install it as there is no drag-and-drop install link. Could you make one so I can try it in my TiddlyDesktop?

Thank you for doing this!

BurningTreeC

Jul 24, 2018, 6:51:01 AM7/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi, pressing the arrow key (Down) within the tags input field only triggers the tags in the dropdown to be selectable with Tab (forward) and Shift-Tab (backward). Enter on a selected Tag adds it to the tiddler.
Hit the Down key again within the tags input field and you can jump to the text editor (tags are no more selectable with Tab)

When I know if this works well, I'll add this functionality to the plugin. Currently it's just a test on that page.

BTC

DemoniWaari

Jul 24, 2018, 7:15:24 AM7/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

I tried it again and it works great on my Chrome (version 67) but apparently not so well on Firefox 52.9.0. Pressing down does activate the tags menu and you can select tags with the tab, but you cannot actually see this, the tags on the menu do not become highlighted when tabbing through the list. You can still select one with enter though, you just can't see which one you are selecting. Also I noticed that when trying to move forward from the tags input field you have to press tab twice in order for the editor text box to be writeable. It "selects" the edit box (you can see the selection box around the edit box) on the first tab and the second tab then focuses it and you can start to write. This does not occur using Chrome.

BurningTreeC

Jul 24, 2018, 7:20:56 AM7/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Good that it works. Oh I forgot about the firefox issue, I saw that, too when trying it there.
I think I can fix the highlighting for firefox. The issue that it selects some kind of text-editor frame maybe too.
I'll give it a try these days and report back here

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 24, 2018, 7:50:10 AM7/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Regarding FF. On 52, which I am still on, I'm not sure its worth the effort, even though I want to stay on it as long as possible. The latest FF is 62. There was a divide between the old and the newer web extension version. The break was quite radical.

My Question: Does it work on the latest?

J, x

BurningTreeC

Jul 24, 2018, 8:30:39 AM7/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Regarding FF. On 52, which I am still on, I'm not sure its worth the effort, even though I want to stay on it as long as possible. The latest FF is 62. There was a divide between the old and the newer web extension version. The break was quite radical.

My Question: Does it work on the latest?

J, x

The first is just a quick css fix which works on both firefox esr and new. The second issue is present on a standard tiddlywiki, too and may not be that easy to solve. But maybe someone knows a trick...?
To me it seems that it's a FF bug as always when something on FF doesn't work as expected ;)

BurningTreeC

Aug 4, 2018, 10:07:28 AM8/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all, I'm about to add the functionality to select tags by keyboard to the SelectMode plugin. I've made a new thread for it: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/TiddlyWiki/GIwd6wAakYE

DemoniWaari

Aug 6, 2018, 5:31:00 AM8/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ohh amazing, gotta try this out asap!

BurningTreeC

Aug 19, 2018, 1:30:00 PM8/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi @DemoniWaari,

the current prerelease version of the KeeBoord plugin on its github page now has this functionality using the Down/Up arrows and shift-Enter to add/remove the selected tag

BTC

DemoniWaari

Aug 20, 2018, 3:01:12 AM8/20/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
PERFECT! Thank you so much for doing this. No more reaching for the mouse just to add a tag...

DemoniWaari

Aug 27, 2018, 9:50:21 AM8/27/18
to TiddlyWiki
I have been using this for a while now and have noticed that if you use ctrl+enter in TiddlyDesktop to save a tiddler, one has to click a tiddler so be able to use keyboard navigation again. Checked out the newest KeeBoord from your github and each time I navigate with ctrl+up/down it gives me an "Internal JavaScript Error" with only "Script error" in it. Again, using TiddlyDesktop.

By the way, what would be the proper place for bug reports for this?

BurningTreeC

Aug 27, 2018, 10:19:04 AM8/27/18
to TiddlyWiki
I have been using this for a while now and have noticed that if you use ctrl+enter in TiddlyDesktop to save a tiddler, one has to click a tiddler so be able to use keyboard navigation again.

Thanks for reporting, I also noticed this behaviour on TiddlyDesktop, but at the moment it seems to be gone. I'll keep an eye on how it works with TD.

Checked out the newest KeeBoord from your github and each time I navigate with ctrl+up/down it gives me an "Internal JavaScript Error" with only "Script error" in it. Again, using TiddlyDesktop.

Do you get that error if you also use a very recent tiddlywiki prerelease? The plugin comes with a navigator widget with recent changes from the prerelease tiddlywiki core. That may cause errors in combination with an older TW clone / single html file.

By the way, what would be the proper place for bug reports for this?

I'm pretty new to the github workflow, but it's better to leave an issue there, because here it may get lost

Thanks for the report,
BTC

DemoniWaari

Aug 28, 2018, 2:46:08 AM8/28/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Okay so apparently the prerelease might be bugged with the TiddlyDesktop because I get an error when just trying to save a tiddler (downloaded an empty prerelease for testing). I also noticed that when typing something and using ctrl+enter to save the entire TD loses focus, so the issue might be with TD. Weirdly it does not lose focus if you do not change the contents of the tiddler prior to saving with ctrl+enter, in this situation KeeBoord works fine as well.

DemoniWaari

Aug 28, 2018, 3:10:26 AM8/28/18
to TiddlyWiki
OK definitely the focus issue is with TD, I tested with an empty wiki and it does the same thing. Also the javascript error was my fault, I used a network path by mistake instead of a local one. Though I did notice that the prerelease + keeboord goes from tags straight to fields when pressing tab and skips the text box entirely. This happens with firefox 60.1 ESR and TD.

BurningTreeC

Aug 28, 2018, 3:45:29 AM8/28/18
to TiddlyWiki
OK definitely the focus issue is with TD, I tested with an empty wiki and it does the same thing. Also the javascript error was my fault, I used a network path by mistake instead of a local one.

I think I had this issue when trying TD on windows. On my Linux desktop the latest TD keeps the focus. I'm not sure what the issue is

Though I did notice that the prerelease + keeboord goes from tags straight to fields when pressing tab and skips the text box entirely. This happens with firefox 60.1 ESR and TD.

Does that happen when you use codemirror? The codemirror plugin from burningtreec.github.io/KeeBoord is modified in order to work with KeeBoord. You would need the version from the KeeBoord plugin page.

BTC