[TW5] Saving on Sharepoint Online

Thomas Windisch

Feb 15, 2017, 8:03:56 PM2/15/17
to TiddlyWiki
I have a TW (5.1.13) hosted in a Document Library on SharePoint Online.

[I had to rename the file to *.aspx as SP does not serve html files as web pages but l like regular files to download]

The interesting thing is that I just realized that it saves itself!

I use FreeBSD 11 and Firefox 51.0.1 without any plug-ins.

When I press 'Save' after I made a change it tells me affirmatively that it did so and the next time I open it in Firefox (or on another device) the change is still there.

I know that SharePoint supports plugins and allows JS to manipulate Lists but it is not a local file nevertheless; it somehow seems wrong.

Does anyone have a clue why I can now save the wiki online where a while ago I would have needed to download it and uploaded it again?

Tom

Douglas Counts

Feb 16, 2017, 4:35:10 AM2/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Thomas,

You mentioned that you are hosting the wiki on a SharePoint site.

So assuming that you have an IT Admin at that location, they may have changed the file saving permissions for you.

Most problems hosting anything either on the Internet or an Intranet are permissions related.

-Doug

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 16, 2017, 5:36:13 AM2/16/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas

The interesting thing is that I just realized that it saves itself!

That is indeed extremely interesting. I think what’s going on is that Sharepoint Online supports the WebDAV protocol, which is a simple (and ancient) protocol built on HTTP that extends it to support typical file system sharing operations. In particular, there is a standard operation that permits TiddlyWiki to save itself over its own HTML file (with the right credentials). My guess is that you weren’t asked for credentials because Windows is using your Active Directory credentials.

WebDAV support is part of the TiddlyWiki core:

Googling suggests that WebDAV is also supported by Microsoft’s OneDrive product. That would be pretty amazing if we could get it to work: it would mean a TiddlySpot-style experience combined with the functionality of Dropbox.

I’d be grateful if anyone with Sharepoint experience can contribute some documentation for tw.com on this.

Best wishes

Jeremy

I use FreeBSD 11 and Firefox 51.0.1 without any plug-ins.

When I press 'Save' after I made a change it tells me affirmatively that it did so and the next time I open it in Firefox (or on another device) the change is still there.

I know that SharePoint supports plugins and allows JS to manipulate Lists but it is not a local file nevertheless; it somehow seems wrong.

Does anyone have a clue why I can now save the wiki online where a while ago I would have needed to download it and uploaded it again?

Tom

Thomas Windisch

Feb 16, 2017, 10:07:22 AM2/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Unfortunately it doesn't works with 'OneDrive.' It either tries to download the file or displays a preview of the source code. This is a restriction imposed by Microsoft, while it is technically possible that they cloud change it, they probably won't.

However it does works with 'OneDrive for Business,' which is a different, separate product and basically is a SharePoint list with a custom interface.

(To clarify, I am  not  using Windows; but Office365 (which includes Azure Active Directory) inside my web browser)

However I would be cautious with SharePoint Online, as I do not remember changing any file permissions and a few months ago it wasn't saving inside the web browser. Therefore Microsoft must have changed/updated something. And if they lifted some restriction then they can also undo it when they wish.

I also had a quick look at the Wikipedia page for WebDAV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

So you are saying that all one needs is a server (like Apache) that supports WebDAV and it will save over its own HTML file, possibly after entering credentials, right?

Tom

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 16, 2017, 10:13:21 AM2/16/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

Unfortunately it doesn't works with 'OneDrive.' It either tries to download the file or displays a preview of the source code. This is a restriction imposed by Microsoft, while it is technically possible that they cloud change it, they probably won't.

However it does works with 'OneDrive for Business,' which is a different, separate product and basically is a SharePoint list with a custom interface.

(To clarify, I am  not  using Windows; but Office365 (which includes Azure Active Directory) inside my web browser)

Thanks for the additional information.

However I would be cautious with SharePoint Online, as I do not remember changing any file permissions and a few months ago it wasn't saving inside the web browser. Therefore Microsoft must have changed/updated something. And if they lifted some restriction then they can also undo it when they wish.

Are those file permissions something that end users can change? Saving being enabled by default might well be a poor option for many situations.

So you are saying that all one needs is a server (like Apache) that supports WebDAV and it will save over its own HTML file, possibly after entering credentials, right?

Yes, that’s correct. It’s pretty cool, albeit a shame that it is not more widely supported (eg by Dropbox)

Best wishes

Jeremy

Tom

Josiah

Feb 16, 2017, 10:45:54 AM2/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Just a footnote

WebDAV is nice. I've used it in the past with drag & drop into a local directory that then securely synced files onto the host. But my hosting service now requires extra payment for access to it. My impression is WebDAV, because of Dropboxes & Drives has kinda got a bit sidelined. As an idiot (:-)) I found it very easy to use and robust.

Thomas Windisch

Feb 16, 2017, 12:01:09 PM2/16/17
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 16:13:21 UTC+1, Jeremy Ruston wrote:

However I would be cautious with SharePoint Online, as I do not remember changing any file permissions and a few months ago it wasn't saving inside the web browser. Therefore Microsoft must have changed/updated something. And if they lifted some restriction then they can also undo it when they wish.

Are those file permissions something that end users can change? Saving being enabled by default might well be a poor option for many situations.

By restriction I meant handling of files; a better word would be added functionality. For example a Word file would be opened in Word Online or you could choose to download it but an html file will either be previewed as source code or downloaded but never served as a web page, which is why if one wishes to serve a web page it needs to be renamed *.html --> *.aspx. What I meant was that as it is cloud software or managed they can add/remove/change functionality at any point in time. And of course there is always a non-zero chance all your data is wiped tomorrow/next week/next year form their servers without notice.

Now the funny part is that I can share about any file (with a guest/antonymous link) but apparently for *.aspx files the user needs to have an Office365 account on the same tenant/domain and login. Which means that one cannot share it with any other person unless said person also has also an account; or rename it back to *.html (but the you can't view it online.)

I can't confirm whether giving only read/view permissions will prohibit the 'save' function but it should do just that.

Tom

tony

Feb 16, 2017, 1:06:54 PM2/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi

Thomas is correct.
TW5 saves under OneDrive for Business and there is version history so much so I'm considering taking out my TW5 file and rsync to the local ODFB folder as needed.
The basic operation is user drops their TW5 file into their local ODFB folder, done. No admin privileges or extension make changes needed.

You can also mount your ODFB cloud folder as a drive with:

$net use 'https://yrdomain-my. sharepoint.com/personal/yrusername/'

Substitute domain and username as appropriate

Not much of a defense but I encrypt my TW5

Given that MS is slow on releases and deprecates features best to keep a backup somewhere else too

Best,
tony

tony

Feb 16, 2017, 1:10:36 PM2/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry forgot to add a drive letter:

$net use Y: 'https://yrdomain-my. sharepoint.com/personal/yrusername/'

Archizona V

Feb 17, 2017, 1:38:01 AM2/17/17
to TiddlyWiki
DAV JS tiddler make a great red error if I try to host tw5 with non English domain. For example on мойсайт.рф after this error tw5 stop working, and l have to delete one line in JS tiddler to disable DAV.

Lost Admin

Mar 22, 2017, 3:48:15 PM3/22/17
to TiddlyWiki
I thought I would give this a shot at work. Since we have an internal team sharepoint and I can create folder/files etc for my own use.

Like indicated earlier in this thread, I had to re-name it to .aspx to get it to show-up in the browser as one would want a tiddlywiki to do.

Unfortunately, auto-save (closing an edit of a tiddler) didn't save anything (but the edit area closed fine) and manually saving performed a local save. Looks like our internal Sharepoint isn't playing webdav nicely.

Miroslav Kalous

Oct 4, 2017, 10:41:08 AM10/4/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi everyone.

I'd like to ask if there are still some users of Onedrive/Sharepoint + Tiddlywiki (with save working)? If so, would you be willing to help with setting things up (on my side, I am willing to pay for help).

I have tried to do so myself but it seems I was not able to make custom scripting work. For this reason, I am still not able to open html (saved as .aspx) file. I have exchanged plenty of emails with Microsoft support, changed relevant settings in web-app settings, tried powershell, but to no avail.

Thanks,
Miroslav