Sharing a hosted wiki with other Contributors

Radiant Fork

Sep 27, 2021, 11:18:05 AM9/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
So I understand that I can open access to wikis by turning them public. But I wanted to figure out how to give some other logged in users the permission to add and or edit tiddlers in a wiki. For context, I have a friend whose learning 3d modelling with blender and I wanna get started with 2d digital art and I wanna set up a shared wiki so we can share what we learn and what we made in an organized way. (Don't worry about file size, we'll be using a shared drive and share links to that instead of putting it on the wiki)

Charlie Veniot

Sep 27, 2021, 8:13:38 PM9/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
It might be safer for your remain solo editor of the TiddlyWiki, and have content that is multi-editor kept on Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings), because those support simultaneous/collaborative editing really well.

Say you have a TiddlyWiki tiddler about Blender.  Create a related Google Doc (where everybody can put in information about blender, and add comments related to whatever) and embed it in your tiddler.

Now your TiddlyWiki has content that makes sense there, but also acts as a portal to content that maybe makes more sense somewhere else (for simultaneous/collaborative editing and/or whatever else?
Message has been deleted

Radiant Fork

Sep 27, 2021, 10:55:44 PM9/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
That doesn't fit the kind of flow I'm trying to generate, but I appreciate the suggestion. Do you know any other way to have an online hosted wiki with two contributors? Any leads on where to look for something like this?

Jason Cunliffe

Sep 28, 2021, 8:09:18 AM9/28/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Please please please make a decent TiddlyWiki APP that people can use solo or collaborartively

It's a tragedy that such a great tool is so difficult to use in a browse

The elephant of TW is you just save your work and share easily.
Heartbreaking really 😭

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021, 04:12 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki <tiddl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

There is no recognized, safe way to use a TW on the open internet for multi-user operation.

If you use a host like tiddlyhost, then you could share by taking turns, with a gentleman’s (person’s) agreement when your operating times are and what your tiddler naming scheme will be. You will need to remember to reload whenever you start a new session in case there have been updates.

Another approach is to both have your own version of an initial TW file. Once again agree on a tiddler naming scheme. Then periodically you can pull new entries from the friends’ TW and your friend can periodically pull your new entries from yours. TW’s list filters makes it pretty easy to find, say, all entries that start with “MAS” and were made in the last 3 days. You can list them, and then drag them over one by one or download in a JSON file and import.

Charlie Veniot

Sep 28, 2021, 8:29:22 AM9/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
TiddlyWiki running on nodejs on a Google Compute Engine virtual machine (or any other place that will host a TiddlyWiki on nodejs for you.)

Not necessarily options for the faint at heart.

I still think shared Google Docs/Sheets/Slides/Drawings as extensions to your TiddlyWiki could easily fit your workflows.  If you ever want to give that a spin and test out, I can give you tips/pointers/etc.

Charlie Veniot

Sep 28, 2021, 8:31:45 AM9/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
Pretty sure setting up true collaborative capability isn't a trivial affair.

Pretty sure it is something that would make single-file TiddlyWiki quite heavy and slow.

For collaborative capability with TiddlyWiki, TiddlyWiki on nodejs hosted on some server is pretty good.