Wikitext monospace block oddity

Douglas Glenn

Dec 19, 2020, 11:53:20 AM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
The monospace functionality has worked as expected in previous tiddlers. This particular tiddler is an exception. I have cut the text and copied it to Atom, looked for any hidden characters. Didn't find any so I copied the text and used the insert as plain text option (in KDE) and the the issue still exists with the monotext block.

djangoMarkup.jpg

Any ideas what may be causing the issue?

Suggestions?

coda coder

Dec 19, 2020, 1:53:26 PM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Try terminating this paragraph (hit return, maybe twice)

Message has been deleted

coda coder

Dec 19, 2020, 1:56:26 PM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Damn, what's up with images in GG?

Trying again...img.png

Jeremy Ruston

Douglas Glenn

Dec 19, 2020, 2:36:12 PM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
I had to install the Markdown plugin for it to display correctly. The choice for text/markdown showed up and I used it for the content type.

msameen99

Dec 19, 2020, 2:47:27 PM12/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Try to use only 2 backtick instead of 3 around your special text

Douglas Glenn

Dec 19, 2020, 2:51:43 PM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
This is a backup where the issue was occuring. Installing the Markdown plugin and with it as a default editor I had to some rewriting but got it to work. To navigate to the Tiddler in question -- 'Content' tab -> #1 Apps -> #2  Url Configuration -> #2  path() argument: include.

I'd much rather have the richer set of options the default editor allowed. But disabling the Markdown plugin returned to the same situation. As previously mentioned, I had copied the text, but I didn't mention I used a number of text editors ranging from nano, Kate and Vim to copy text back to the page.

django.20201219165151556.zip

Douglas Glenn

Dec 19, 2020, 3:17:46 PM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Mohamed Amin

That works as well, but as in all my previous tiddlers as tw5 wikitext, I was highlighting the blocks text and using the button in  the editor to mark it as monotext. It was using ```block``` without problems. Since the result was showing a single backtick as part of the block and all the text below it, I had played with it and discovered `` would work.

When an editor starts displaying different formatting behavior using the defaults and no changes, that gets me nervous. Imagine if that occurred to you while writing up a peer review with it's strict formatting. It would be disturbing. It's like creating a HTML page  displayed differently from previous HTML pages using the same browser.

It's not like scouring code for hours, spotting nothing, have a peer review it to discover a variable, function or class had a capitol letter instead of lower case. That has happened often enough to me it's embarrassing :-)

Saq Imtiaz

Dec 19, 2020, 6:28:44 PM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think the culprit is an unterminated <p> tag on line 7.

Michael Wiktowy

Dec 19, 2020, 8:44:50 PM12/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Trailing space after the first three backticks.

I've scratched my head over this before. The online vs block parsing autodetermination is very sensitive to trailing spaces and those trailing spaces creep in really often in cut and pastes from webpages and different apps. Likely what looked like an empty line had a space in it and your added the backticks before the sneaky space character.

/Mike

Doug Glenn

Dec 20, 2020, 4:20:41 PM12/20/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate the thought!

However you will find browser rendering engines ignore errors like these no matter where they appear.That has been my experience writing pages, but I checked to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke. I downloaded the file attached for Jeremy, then removed the unterminated <p> tag without it having any effect on the monospace block issue. You can even have a start and closing tag that still doesn't display if the tags fail to terminate in the same order they were defined.

I can't swear IE might be effected, but it won't keep me up at night.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/51c7f6d6-577b-44cf-ba07-9dc299053b81n%40googlegroups.com.

Doug

Michael Wiktowy

Dec 20, 2020, 5:00:59 PM12/20/20
to TiddlyWiki
I just did the same thing (downloaded the attachment and viewed in Firefox on Linux) and either removing the second <p> (which Saq identfied as the culprit) or putting a blank line between it and the subsequent <br> seemed to solve the inline vs. block rendering of the tiddler:

```
from django.urls import include, path
```

It was not a space after the first ``` like I suspected but that has the same effect of confusing the monospace markup.

Alternatively you can roll with the inline rendering tendencies and use two less backticks:

``from django.urls import include, path
``

/Mike

Doug Glenn

Dec 21, 2020, 3:00:01 PM12/21/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Micheal,

That's interesting. I wonder if the difference in the browser had any effect. On the flip side, the number of gaffes pointed out can very well have done it. At least it is working now. And with the feedback I'll need to make sure I look a bit harder before crying wolf.

Thank you!

Doug