Writing a book

Joe Armstrong

Mar 4, 2018, 10:53:45 AM3/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

I'd like to mock up a book in TW - the input would be a TW
the output a nicely formatted book in HTML (or PDF -- but I'll be happy with
HTML for now)

To fix my ideas I'd like the output to look like

Any tips of tag structures and so on to achieve this?

Cheers

/Joe

Mat

Mar 4, 2018, 12:12:07 PM3/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Seems you're talking about a digital format as opposed to a book intended for pretty print out on paper. That should not be overly difficult.

"Tips for tag structures" - I suggest you just start and then correct things as you go along.

If I wrote a book I'd definitely look into this modification by Siniy-kit, i.e a dragn'drop ToC:

I have not fooled around with it yet, just bookmarked if for 'a rainy day'.

<:-)

Steven Schneider

Mar 7, 2018, 3:04:13 PM3/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Joe,

I'm also interested in this, and am in process of identifying key requirements, such as bibliographic citation and reference generator, and a structure to maintain order and sequentiality (assuming your "book" has some inherent order).

Jeremy's text slicer edition does an interesting job using list fields to maintain order of a "sliced tiddler", but I find it a bit hard to navigate and rather difficult to maintain. One solution would be to modify the edit view so that the list field was treated more like the text field, so it wouldn't be so hard to manage.

If you pursue this, let's talk. I'm very interested in working with scholars and others who want to pursue these kinds of projects, and am always looking for collaborators.

//steve.

TonyM

Mar 8, 2018, 1:42:14 AM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Joe,

What you want can be achieved with native TiddlyWiki. Of course there are variouse levels of automation and complexity that can be built, but if you create a single tiddler that lists all tiddlers and renders them in the single tiddler, you can "Open the resulting tiddler" in a new window and use the browser print feature, with a Print to PDF printer to create PDF files.

The Editor tool bar Transclude option can help selecting tiddlers to include in a master tiddler, but I would use tags or fields to indicate chapter and sections and an advanced list macro to bring all the content into the single "book" tiddler, ready for reviewing and printing. Perhaps, For each draft save/copy  the tiddlywiki as a new file and continue editing.

I would use tiddler names to describe content, and have chapter titles etc... actually in the tiddler text.

I will give this some more thought, as ultimately I would like such a tool as well, however I am focusing on interactive work instructions rather than books.

Happy to discuss further.

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Mar 8, 2018, 1:44:34 AM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
PS

Using dragable lists can be helpful for rearranging titles and how they are listed. this can be done for items with the same tags.

Regards
Tony

Joe Armstrong

Mar 8, 2018, 7:25:37 AM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, 8 March 2018 07:42:14 UTC+1, TonyM wrote:
Joe,

What you want can be achieved with native TiddlyWiki. Of course there are variouse levels of automation and complexity that can be built, but if you create a single tiddler that lists all tiddlers and renders them in the single tiddler, you can "Open the resulting tiddler" in a new window and use the browser print feature, with a Print to PDF printer to create PDF files.

The Editor tool bar Transclude option can help selecting tiddlers to include in a master tiddler, but I would use tags or fields to indicate chapter and sections and an advanced list macro to bring all the content into the single "book" tiddler, ready for reviewing and printing. Perhaps, For each draft save/copy  the tiddlywiki as a new file and continue editing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the Editor tool bar Transclude option" - when I open an editor the toolbar
has a set of icons starting with the icon to produce Bold test but I can't find a "Transclude option" to clarify I'm starting
with an unmodified copy of the TW at tiddlywiki.com

What I want to do is quickly organise a set of tiddlers into a story.

I can get the tiddlers I want on screen and collapse them into single lines containing the
headers only with the "fold other tiddlers"  - but I want to be able to easily change the order
so I'd like to add an up and down arrow to the collapsed tiddler to change the position in the
story.

Once I'd got the order right I'd like to save the order  in a new tiddler.

Basically I'm creating a tiddler whose content is

    {{Some heading}}
    {{Some name}}
    {{and more}}

But it would be nice to semi-automate the process

Cheers

/Joe

Ton Gerner

Mar 8, 2018, 8:44:00 AM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Joe,

 - but I want to be able to easily change the order
so I'd like to add an up and down arrow to the collapsed tiddler to change the position in the
story.

Are you aware of the drag & drop possibility in the Open tab in the Sidebar?

Cheers,

Ton

Joe Armstrong

Mar 8, 2018, 10:33:31 AM3/8/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I am now - thanks :-)

Next question How do I get a list of the opened tiddlers after I have arranged them?
I need to store this in a new tiddler

Cheers

/Joe

Cheers,

Ton

Ton Gerner

Mar 8, 2018, 11:03:34 AM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Joe,

Next question How do I get a list of the opened tiddlers after I have arranged them?
I need to store this in a new tiddler

Just select the tiddler titles in the Open tab and copy/paste them in a new tiddler.

Cheers,

Ton

PMario

Mar 8, 2018, 11:08:21 AM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 4:33:31 PM UTC+1, Joe Armstrong wrote:
Next question How do I get a list of the opened tiddlers after I have arranged them?
I need to store this in a new tiddler

Rearranging the $:/StoryList manipulates its field named: list
Since the story list is constantly manipulated by the TW core, you should use your own tags to list and manipulate the tiddler order.

eg: <<list-tagged-draggable tag:"myTag">>

learn more at: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Drag%20and%20Drop:%5B%5BDrag%20and%20Drop%5D%5D%20%5B%5Blist-tagged-draggable%20Macro%5D%5D%20%5B%5Blist-tagged-draggable%20Macro%20(Examples)%5D%5D

have fun!
mario

Mark S.

Mar 8, 2018, 12:28:09 PM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
I would be very reluctant to use drag-n-drop to preserve the order of my writing.

What I did the last time was create tiddler for each anticipated chapter, numbered like

01 Intro

The tiddler would tagged with the name of the book/story, the tag "Chapter", and a chapter field (double digit zero buffered)

Each chapter is built of several sections (because you probably don't want to to be editing thousands of words in a single tiddler). Each section tiddler is given a tag for the story, a section field (double digit buffered, count in increments of 10) and the chapter number (double digit buffered).

Then inside your chapter you use something like:

<$list filter="[tag[Story]chapter[01]has[section]sort[section]]" >
<$link to={{!!title}}>{{!!title}}</$link>

<$transclude mode="block"/>

</$list>

You could put that all into a macro for convenience so you could say <<storychapter 01>>. If I was doing it now, I'd add reveal blocks for each transcluded section.

Now you can see your chapter broken into sections. If you want to edit a section, you just click on the link about the section. You control the order of the text through the section number. If you want to break a section into smaller sections, use the excision tool and then give each tiddler an appropriate section number (which is why I suggest enumerating by 10 initially -- there's always gaps between the numbers). You could create several pre-numbered blank tiddlers for each chapter, so that as you write you can just start a new section without interruption.

Write on!
-- Mark

HansWobbe

Mar 8, 2018, 7:09:48 PM3/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Joe:

Tobi's Save and Load approach works very well for me by building sets of Snaphots that can be easily edited to Load tiddlers into the story in whatever order you like.

http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Saving%20And%20Loading%20A%20History%20Snapshot

Regards,
Hans

wjam

Mar 9, 2018, 1:02:35 AM3/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
you can also use
{{$:/StoryList!!list}}

A long time ago I posted in this group a tw5 tiddler which generated a list from storylist where all titles are surrounded by [[ and ]] to fill the default tiddler easily

it contained something like:

$list filter=$:/StoryList
$view field= title"
$text text="]]"/>