[plugin] Project-Manager & Notebook theme updates

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 4:45:32 AM4/30/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I just uploaded an update of my Project Manager plugin, you can find it
here:

https://nicolas.petton.fr/tw/project-manager.html

I also rewrote the Notebook theme & color palette from scratch, as I was
not quite satisfied with it (it's far from being perfect though, the
sidebar still needs quite some work).

The Notebook theme has the following purposes:

- Make my wiki as uncluttered as possible (The UI chrome used various
shades a grey to help focus on the content)
- Prominent search input always at the top of the page
- Focus less on tiddlers (their boundaries), and more on the content itself
- Feel at home on mobile, with a dedicated mobile toolbar & sidebar

Here's a screenshot on desktop:

signature.asc
2020-04-30-103030.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 10.41.36.png

TonyM

Apr 30, 2020, 5:58:19 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Icolas

Thanks for sharing this nice clean and easy to use tool. I like how it is macro driven which gives a lot of choice.

I tried it on mobile first and I love the fact I can type and hit enter to create a new item. I would love to do this in my own solutions however there may be value indicating enter works because for a while I was looking for the button. Perhaps a small grey enter icon on the right of the entry field. Also I use longer names than the field size can this being set larger?

great work
Tony

Birthe C

Apr 30, 2020, 7:29:13 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you, Nicolas!

I love it. The Quick capture is a wonder.
I would like the sidebar to work with translation plugins though.
At my screen I had a hard time finding the menu at first. Changing screen angle and daylight arriving helped.
Is it on purpose, that none of the tiddler buttons work, when the sidebar is on?

Birthe

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 7:36:59 AM4/30/20
to Birthe C, TiddlyWiki
Birthe C <strikke...@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it on purpose, that none of the tiddler buttons work, when the sidebar
> is on?

Absolutely not, but I cannot reproduce what you're describing. Can you
give me steps to reproduce it?

Cheers,
Nico
signature.asc

Birthe C

Apr 30, 2020, 7:53:44 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Well hovering the tiddler controls works well enough and I can open and edit a tiddler. Then I click the top left button Toggle menu, and now no tiddler controls are shown hovering and I am not able to open and edit a tiddler.

Birthe

Birthe C

Apr 30, 2020, 7:57:23 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think the problem has to do with screensize.
I tried to change my screen to 80% and then I see the buttons hovering - and they work.

Birthe

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 30, 2020, 8:05:21 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Nicolas, the problem is the default sidebar. It needs a
display: none;

Saq

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 8:06:40 AM4/30/20
to Birthe C, TiddlyWiki
Birthe C <strikke...@gmail.com> writes:

> I think the problem has to do with screensize.
> I tried to change my screen to 80% and then I see the buttons hovering -
> and they work.

Ok, I'll try to reproduce it, thanks.
signature.asc

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 8:15:17 AM4/30/20
to Nicolas Petton, Birthe C, TiddlyWiki
Nicolas Petton <ni...@petton.fr> writes:

> Ok, I'll try to reproduce it, thanks.

It should be fixed now.

Cheers,
Nico
signature.asc

Mohammad

Apr 30, 2020, 8:30:02 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Nico,

Thank you very much for update

- very clean design
- semantic
- search bar on the top with optional advanced search button
- writing/reading first priority (love hiding furniture a toolbar buttons, ...)
- mobile first

Test on Mobil (Android  + Tiddloid for saving local + Google Drive)
- I tested on mobile and it looks great!
- buttons at the bottom makes creating new tiddlers (writing) a very good experience to quickly add new tiddler

Some comments:
 - when there is an unsaved tiddler opened (edit a new tiddler then close all without closing the tiddlers under edit) it covers the bottom page controls (Fig 1 attached)
 - when search is opened and you clicked on one of results nothing happened, you need first to close search page and then find it open in the story river (Fig 2 attached)

Test on Desktop
- alt+C open quick capture
- ctrl+shift+f (standard shortcut)  jumps to search input

Theme revision (release) number
- I noted the version number of previous release for theme was 0.1 and the new one is 0.0.6
   this causes you cannot update your previous installed version

--Mohammad

Figure 1

Fig_1.jpeg

Figure 2

Fig_2.jpeg

Mohammad

Apr 30, 2020, 8:34:26 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Birthe,

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 4:23:44 PM UTC+4:30, Birthe C wrote:
Well hovering the tiddler controls works well enough and I can open and edit a tiddler. Then I click the top left button Toggle menu, and now no tiddler controls are shown hovering and I am not able to open and edit a tiddler.

Testing on Windows and Android (wide and small screen I have no such issue!
--Mohammad

Birthe C

Apr 30, 2020, 8:38:47 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

After the fix I have no problems either.

Birthe

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 9:13:11 AM4/30/20
to Saq Imtiaz, TiddlyWiki
Saq Imtiaz <saq.i...@gmail.com> writes:

> @Nicolas, the problem is the default sidebar. It needs a
> display: none;

It was actually a faulty css class, the default sidebar is not rendered
:)

Nico
signature.asc

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 9:19:36 AM4/30/20
to Mohammad, TiddlyWiki
Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Nico,

Hi Mohammad,

> Some comments:
> - when there is an unsaved tiddler opened (edit a new tiddler then close
> all without closing the tiddlers under edit) it covers the bottom page
> controls (Fig 1 attached)

True, I haven't put as much effort on the mobile UI as I did on the desktop.

> - when search is opened and you clicked on one of results nothing
> happened, you need first to close search page and then find it open in the
> story river (Fig 2 attached)

Indeed, the sidebar should close on mobile (that's also true for links).

> *Theme revision (release) number*
> - I noted the version number of previous release for theme was 0.1 and the
> new one is 0.0.6
> this causes you cannot update your previous installed version

Good point, I'll fix that.

Nico
signature.asc

Mohammad

Apr 30, 2020, 10:18:02 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Nico,
 A minor comment:  $:/themes/nico/notebook is the correct path name for themes as you have used in 0.1
 While TW does not complain if you use other names, but this is semantic!
 The new version of notebook 0.2.x used $:/plugins/nico/notebook
  Please have a look!

--Mohammad

Julio Peña

Apr 30, 2020, 11:56:53 AM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Congrats Nicholas...this is just amazing!

Blessings,
Julio

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 12:20:50 PM4/30/20
to Mohammad, TiddlyWiki
Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> writes:

> A minor comment: $:/themes/nico/notebook is the correct path name for
> themes as you have used in 0.1

Is that true for third-party themes as well?
I found some themes that used the $:/plugins/ prefix.

Nico
signature.asc

Nicolas Petton

Apr 30, 2020, 12:22:51 PM4/30/20
to Mohammad, TiddlyWiki
Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> writes:

> - when search is opened and you clicked on one of results nothing
> happened, you need first to close search page and then find it open in the
> story river (Fig 2 attached)

It should be fixed now.

> *Theme revision (release) number*
> - I noted the version number of previous release for theme was 0.1 and the
> new one is 0.0.6
> this causes you cannot update your previous installed version

Should be fixed as well.

Cheers,
Nico
signature.asc

scot

Apr 30, 2020, 12:47:33 PM4/30/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nicolas,
I am very impressed with the design of your Project Manager plugin. It is very easy to use and looks great. Thank you.

I have a question.
I would like to add a time to any todos as well as a date for such things as meetings, appointments etc.
Does the datepicker or moments plugin need to be amended or something in your code; how can I change the date to include the time as well?

Keep up the great work.

Scot

Mohammad

Apr 30, 2020, 12:48:36 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think yes!  It is not only for official themes!

But Jeremy may have a better explanation!

ps:
The Tiddlywiki Toolmap has a wealth of links to themes/plugins/snippets/solution

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 30, 2020, 12:51:30 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Indeed, the convention is that theme plugins be titled $:/themes/<publisher>/<name>

Best wishes

Jeremy

Diego Mesa

Apr 30, 2020, 3:28:54 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
This theme is gorgeous! I love the top bar, the sidebar, everything!

Mohammad <mohamma...@gmail.com> writes:

>  A minor comment:  $:/themes/nico/notebook is the correct path name for
> themes as you have used in 0.1

Is that true for third-party themes as well?
I found some themes that used the $:/plugins/ prefix.

Nico

Tony K

Apr 30, 2020, 4:35:51 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Salut Nick

I love what you have done, however i have a small prob in the visual the circle is a bit cut

any easy way to fix it?

merci

Annotation 2020-04-30 233415.png

Mohammad

Apr 30, 2020, 11:58:20 PM4/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Nico,

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 5:49:36 PM UTC+4:30, Nicolas Petton wrote:
Mohammad <mohamma...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Nico,

Hi Mohammad,

> Some comments:
>  - when there is an unsaved tiddler opened (edit a new tiddler then close
> all without closing the tiddlers under edit) it covers the bottom page
> controls (Fig 1 attached)

True, I haven't put as much effort on the mobile UI as I did on the desktop.

I tested with other theme on small screen, even on desktop with narrow window and it seems in such cases Tiddlywiki do not respect small screen to
close sidebar tabs when one click on an item or make a search!
So this is an issue with Tiddlywiki and NOT Notebook theme.

--Mohammad

Nicolas Petton

May 1, 2020, 5:49:27 AM5/1/20
to Mohammad, TiddlyWiki
Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> writes:

> I tested with other theme on small screen, even on desktop with narrow
> window and it seems in such cases Tiddlywiki do not respect small screen to
> close sidebar tabs when one click on an item or make a search!
> So this is an issue with Tiddlywiki and NOT Notebook theme.

Have you tried on https://nicolas.petton.fr/tw/project-manager.html? I
added a JavaScript module that handles the sidebar on mobile.

Nico
signature.asc

Mohammad

May 1, 2020, 10:12:15 AM5/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Nico,

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 2:19:27 PM UTC+4:30, Nicolas Petton wrote:
Tested on small screens both on mobile and desktop! works like a charm
a million thanks!

The solution is required by core to be able use this feature for all themes!
Keep going on!

Nico

Best wishes
--Mohammad

Mohammad

May 2, 2020, 12:32:58 AM5/2/20
to TiddlyWiki
Nico,
 Have you installed the Notebook theme in an empty Tiddlywiki?
 It seems the right sidebar still occupy some spaces at the right!

--Mohammad

Nicolas Petton

May 2, 2020, 4:58:25 PM5/2/20
to Mohammad, TiddlyWiki
Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> writes:

> Nico,

Hi Mohammad,

> Have you installed the Notebook theme in an empty Tiddlywiki?
> It seems the right sidebar still occupy some spaces at the right!

Yes, I did exactly that when putting the demo wiki online.
I haven't really mentioned it, but there's a companion plugin that
you'll need to install:

$:/plugins/nico/notebook-mobile

This plugin is responsible for handling the sidebar on mobile.

Cheers,
Nico
signature.asc

Mohammad

May 3, 2020, 12:42:43 AM5/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Nico!

To reproduce the issue
  1. From https://tiddlywiki.com/ I downloaded an empty.html
  2. drag and drop to it $:/plugins/nico/notebook  AND $:/plugins/nico/notebook-mobile
  3. Save and reload
Still the right side has an empty area! Seems the right sidebar position is kept empty!

I appreciate to have a look!

--Mohammad

Tony K

May 4, 2020, 3:04:58 AM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Salut Nico

any chance you can provide us with a way to manage the "tags", e.g. I would like to rename "done" to "Done" and Project to Projects etc....

I know i can edit the code but it will make updates tricky

merci

Nicolas Petton

May 4, 2020, 3:58:37 AM5/4/20
to scot, TiddlyWiki
scot <sco...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Nicolas,

Hi Scot,

> I am very impressed with the design of your Project Manager plugin. It is
> very easy to use and looks great. Thank you.

You're welcome.

> I have a couple of comments/questions.
> You say that you can use any tiddler as a sub-project by using the
> <<project>> macro. Could you add an example to your usage tiddler
> please.

There's one actually, right below that sentence in the usage tiddler :)

> In addition, I would like to add a time to any todos as well as a date for
> such things as meetings, appointments etc.
> Does the datepicker or moments plugin need to be amended or something in
> your code, how can I change this?

I'm not sure if the date picker works for date+time, but for this to
work, the Schedule tab in Project Manager would have to display
something like a diary, which is not the case today (and I do not plan
to implement that, as it is not how I use it).

Looks like it's time for me to put the plugin on GitHub so people can
contribute/fork easily :)

Cheers,
Nico
signature.asc

Nicolas Petton

May 4, 2020, 4:00:10 AM5/4/20
to Tony K, TiddlyWiki
Tony K <akh...@gmail.com> writes:

> Salut Nick

Hi Tony,

> I love what you have done, however i have a small prob in the visual the
> circle is a bit cut
>
> any easy way to fix it?

Hmm, I'm not sure. It probably has to do with the font size or
line-height that you use on your wiki. Can you provide me with an empty
wiki that has this theme?

Nico
signature.asc

Tony K

May 4, 2020, 4:05:46 AM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki

Andy Redfern

May 4, 2020, 4:13:04 AM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Great work Nicolas.

Be great if you could put it on GitHub.
I have added the time element to my local copy and with a few amends seems to work pretty.
Once on Github happy to share my fork. for others looking for times on todos too.

I don't know if control panels are common in Plugins (only been using TW for a few weeks) but I think a control panel would be great so time usage could be toggled.
Also can then update to change which tags trigger which events too.

Andy

scot

May 4, 2020, 6:19:10 AM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Nicolas,
Thank you for your reply.

After my initial post I realised that you had indeed given an example of a project; I amended my original post. Sorry, I didn't realise the macro could be added to each tiddler, I thought it had to do with tagging things as Project.

I tried to amend the date format in the schedule, but there is not enough space allowed to include the time.
Could be something in the CSS / stylesheet that would help.

Thanks again for your help and for providing this great plugin.

Best regards,

Scot

Tony K

May 5, 2020, 9:13:06 AM5/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Solved by setting

.pm-todo { overflow: visible; }

nothing else was apparently affected

Odin Jorna

May 6, 2020, 3:17:59 AM5/6/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The UI is looking wonderful. I was fiddling around and tried to add a table of contents tab in the sidebar and noticed that the usual method of adding a $:/tags/SideBar tag didn't work.
How do you add the projects sidebar tab? How would you recommend adding additional tabs?

Edit: some other thing I noticed: The search bar is aligned in the centre. But when I add buttons from the tools page (the 'home' or 'close all' button) the search bar slides to the left. Which I can imagine isn't what is intended.

Birthe C

May 6, 2020, 4:27:01 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Odin Jorna,

I found that a little confusing too. I saw that open, recent etc had the tag: $:/plugins/nico/notebook/tags/SidebarSection, so I used that for my table of contents.

Birthe

Odin Jorna

May 7, 2020, 1:08:39 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Birthe,

Thanks for the tip! That worked for me as well.

Odin

Mohammad

May 7, 2020, 2:32:36 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Nico,
 I appreciate to have a look at the below issue!

--Mohammad

Nicolas Petton

May 11, 2020, 9:37:33 AM5/11/20
to Mohammad, TiddlyWiki
Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Nico,

Hi Mohammad,

> I appreciate to have a look at the below issue!

It looks like the plugin misses a tiddler, I'll update it!

Cheers,
Nico
signature.asc

Mohammad

May 11, 2020, 9:55:34 AM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Much appreciated!

Willy Tanner

May 22, 2020, 3:05:01 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Nicolas

wow, thank you very much, I did not know this was even possible! Very refined and useful.

There is one thing that I would appreciate to see changed. Currently, the "todo" tag is of no use, it is enough for a tiddler to be tagged with the name of a project for it to appear as a todo item under that project, regardless of the fact if the "todo" tag was also present or not. As a consequence, even tiddlers that serve any other purpose (e.g. pure notes without tasks) will all appear as todo items and clutter the otherwise very clean design.
Could this be changed so that only tiddlers with the "todo" tag are treated as tasks? It seems that this is what was intended to be its purpose.

Thanks

JD

Jul 29, 2020, 5:31:14 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
I just found this and fell in love! The features, the theme, the colors, the mobility! Everything I wish for in an interface! I don't use project planners because of their complexity and often unwieldiness (and the data is not entirely mine), but your solution ticks all my boxes! I wish this will be featured in the main Tiddlywiki site!

-jd

costi...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2020, 3:06:21 PM8/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Nicolas, Mohammad,

Is there a fix for this empty area at the right side?

Thanks,
Costi B.

TW Tones

Apr 1, 2021, 8:34:24 PM4/1/21
to TiddlyWiki
Nicolas,

 https://nicolas.petton.fr/tw/project-manager.html is returning a 404 error, have you moved the tool?

If so please edit the top post and if possible on next release include a source field in your -plugin with a link to its published source.

I am having trouble find the latest version.

Thanks
Tones

TW Tones

Apr 1, 2021, 8:37:35 PM4/1/21