Book formatting in TW

Marc Ferguson

Oct 10, 2016, 5:27:58 PM10/10/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I need some help and I think it might be simple.

I've been able to create some great books consisting of groups of tiddlers. I would like to also have the title page and table of contents pages to also be tiddlers. I would also like to start chapters on a new page.

To do that I need to have a way to create a page break. I am not a coder so I was wondering if one of you very intelligent programmers could share with me what I could add to the end of a tiddler to get it force a page break.

I really appreciate your kindness and if it wasn't for you I would be lost.

Tobias Beer

Oct 10, 2016, 5:57:57 PM10/10/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

Could it be as simple as a <br>?

Best wishes,

Tobias.

Marc Ferguson

Oct 10, 2016, 6:34:18 PM10/10/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I knew it would be easy.  .  .  For You. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Mat

Oct 11, 2016, 2:46:04 AM10/11/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hm, I doubt line break <br> will suffice practically.

I think what is needed is form feed which, I just found out, is created with CSS page-break-... (-before/-inside/-after)

This appears (to me) to be the simplest way:

If one wanted one tiddler per sheet, I think it should be possible to style the tiddler template (ie. via the stylesheet) to apply  page-break-after: always
...or see this to have it form break before e.g h1 headlines.

See also:

<:-)

John Newell

Oct 11, 2016, 3:38:37 AM10/11/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat

Having covered similar needs for ebooks I have been working on - here are a few options :

This is probably best prefaced by the format in which I am using ALL tiddlywiki ebook / app versions
and that is that each page is continuous as it would be in any book
EXCEPT
in tiddlywiki the native format is for the content to continue DOWN the page - rather than OVER the page

So, all my pages are smoothly transitioned down the page.

Therefore - each chapter is a distinct tiddler -
and there are not distinctions between pages.

IF A BREAK between PARTS in a chapter are required
that is easily done by adding <br/> one or more times to enhance the distance.... ( as suggested by Tobias )

OR

Just add a line horizontal line - eg :

---

OR create a more pronounced full width break: with colour :

eg

Links between chapters can be done in multiple ways:

How would you like to see it - let me know and I'll see if I can help .....