[INTRO] Tiddler Bundle Plugin

PMario

Jun 9, 2017, 4:46:55 PM6/9/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Folks,

I'm happy to announce the availability of the bundle-plugin, [1] discussed in the group for some time now. See the discussion at: Bundling - It would help - HOW to do it reliably? [2]

- 2 export concepts
   - Bundle function as a list of tiddlers. One tiddler per line
   - Filtered bundles. So you can use filters instead of list tiddlers by name

 - Config option to select position eg:
   - SideBar or
   - MoreSideBar

 - several examples of "useful" filters
   - including a preview filters in AdvancedSearch

 - visible info about number of tiddlers, that will be exported
   - eg: 3/4 ... 3 out of 4 tiddlers will be exported. ... So there may be a typo ..
   - If the number of "filtered bundles" is clicked, the filter shows up in the AdvancedSearch panel, for easy testing.

 - filtered bundle settings are compatible with the "AdvancedSearch: Filter tab". So they will show up there too.

 - There is an "Enable Import Bundle" option, that creates an import.bundle log-type tiddler. If new tiddlers are imported they will be appended to the import.bundle for later use.

 - If an imported tiddler exist, they will be renamed. So importing the same tiddler, won't overwrite existing content. ... ( I know: There's a lot of improvement possibilities here :)

That's all for the moment. Play with it and give feedback!

have fun!
mario

PS: The plugin provided [1] invalidates all the bundles from the other thread [2]. I'll remove them, if possible. ...

[1] https://wikilabs.github.io/#bundles:bundles%20GettingStarted
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/WzwNpnxycDQ

PMario

Jun 9, 2017, 4:59:42 PM6/9/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

2017.06.18
new version V 0.1.1 beta - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

modified license file, to be sufficient for full attribution and licensing of the bundler plugin namespace. So every component of the bundler itself can be bundled, without any problem, if the license is part of the bundle. (This is kind of experimental, but imo a simple way to deal with "namespaced" bundles. ..)

2017.06.12
new version available: V 0.1.0 beta - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/
history: https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fwikilabs%2Fbundler%2Fhistory

have fun!
mario

codacoder...@outlook.com

Jun 9, 2017, 5:05:03 PM6/9/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mario

 - If an imported tiddler exist, they will be renamed. So importing the same tiddler, won't overwrite existing content. ... ( I know: There's a lot of improvement possibilities here :)

Are you planning a switch to turn that off?

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 10, 2017, 9:59:51 AM6/10/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Tutti

I want to emphasise how good PMario's "BUNDLES" plugin already is ... Its eases management enormously ...

For instance, the first two items on the screenshot (a bundle that includes several plugins) are "arbeit.bundle" and "$:/plugins/wikilabs/bundles". The former is itself the list of "bundle" items. The second is the Bundler itself. So, with virtually no effort you can transport to a new TW what you used in another one with complete precision and have the Bundler running in it immediately if you want it. Its ability to ease the transfer of things and yet have exact control is incredibly useful.

Best wishes
Josiah

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 10, 2017, 10:54:50 AM6/10/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao PMario

NAMING

Not sure if its too late, but I suggest you call the plugin "BUNDLER", not "bundles". The reason is that in English a BundleR does things, it creates the package, but a Bundle is simply a collection, not the "collector". If you leave it as "Bundles" talking about it may get confusing between the mechanism and the content.

However, I don't think its a big deal.

----
Footnote update: English is a bit of a nightmare on words like this because of its ambiguity. For instance "bundles" COULD be an activity of a "bundleR", but it is ALSO merely the plural of "bundle."

Best wishes
Josiah

PMario

Jun 10, 2017, 8:24:13 PM6/10/17
to TiddlyWiki

Hmmm, Now that you say it, it seems to make sense. ... Could be a first step.

What I really want is a "diff", that tells me, what is new and then decide, if I want to import it, or not. ....

-m

codacoder...@outlook.com

Jun 10, 2017, 11:45:23 PM6/10/17
to TiddlyWiki

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 7:24:13 PM UTC-5, PMario wrote:
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 11:05:03 PM UTC+2, codacoder...@outlook.com wrote:
Hi Mario
 - If an imported tiddler exist, they will be renamed. So importing the same tiddler, won't overwrite existing content. ... ( I know: There's a lot of improvement possibilities here :)

Are you planning a switch to turn that off?

Hmmm, Now that you say it, it seems to make sense. ... Could be a first step.

Great. Recall I mentioned in the other thread, I'm using Bundles to create something akin to an edition - I *want* to have imports overwrite all targets.  It's basically an "upgrade".

What I really want is a "diff", that tells me, what is new and then decide, if I want to import it, or not. ....

I'm assuming that will be a set of checkboxes? (295 in my case). That might be cool as long as I can have  them default to selected=overwrite, sure, that would be fine. Otherwise, I'll stick with the beta - it's working perfectly for me.

Thanks!

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 5:14:32 AM6/12/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao codacoder & PMario

I have been enthusiastically creating bundles.

OVERWRITE

 PM: - If an imported tiddler exist, they will be renamed. So importing the same tiddler, won't overwrite existing content. ...

CoCo:Are you planning a switch to turn that off?

PM: Hmmm, Now that you say it, it seems to make sense. ... Could be a first step.

CoCo: Great. Recall I mentioned in the other thread, I'm using Bundles to create something akin to an edition - I *want* to have imports overwrite all targets.  It's basically an "upgrade". (TT: emphasis)

CoCo: I'm assuming that will be a set of checkboxes? (295 in my case). That might be cool as long as I can have  them default to selected=overwrite  ...

codacoder expressed too what I also later found, that not being able to overwrite is a limitation.

If one conceives of Bundles as a superior transport mechanism, then DEFAULT (individually de-selectable) overwrite seems appropriate. The issue that got really clear to me is the Bundles approach gives fine-grained control on "transports" and overwrite is less of a worry than in more random situations.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 5:38:13 AM6/12/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao PMario

  PM: - Bundle function as a list of tiddlers. One tiddler per line

IGNORE COMMENT PREFIXED LINES FROM COUNT

This suggestion pertains only to the simple list of tiddlers Bundles. For me that is the only place I'd need it. It would allow rudimentary description of contents. At the moment a comment line would be ignored in an export, but still be counted.

Here is an image of the kind of thing I am talking about ...

Not sure if it is possible. Is it a headache? Another way might be to have an information field that describes the content, as I suggested before, but that is maybe overkill? Being able to add comments in Bundle may well be enough?

Just thoughts.

Best wishes
Josiah

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

PMario

Jun 12, 2017, 7:02:23 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 11:14:32 AM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
codacoder expressed too what I also later found, that not being able to overwrite is a limitation.

The new version will have a setting: Enable Overwrite Check, which is off by default.

If one conceives of Bundles as a superior transport mechanism, then DEFAULT (individually de-selectable) overwrite seems appropriate. The issue that go really clear to me is the Bundles approach gives fine-grained control on "transports" and overwrite is less of a worry than in more random situations.

IMO that's not really true. Users are upset, if a program destroys their work, without a warning. :) So the minimum info I want to provide is, to let the user know, that the bundle import will overwrite existing tiddlers. So it shows a text: "Existing tiddler will be overwritten!" now.

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 7:21:24 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
TT: codacoder expressed too what I also later found, that not being able to overwrite is a limitation.

PM: The new version will have a setting: Enable Overwrite Check, which is off by default.

PMario, Excellent!

TT: overwrite is less of a worry than in more random situations

PM: IMO that's not really true. Users are upset, if a program destroys their work, without a warning. :)

LOL. You are right. I'm a little over enthusiastic sometimes.

J.

PMario

Jun 12, 2017, 7:27:01 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
new version available: V 0.1.0 - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 10:59:42 PM UTC+2, PMario wrote:
--- reserved post ---

codacoder...@outlook.com

Jun 12, 2017, 8:12:30 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 6:02:23 AM UTC-5, PMario wrote:

 So it shows a text: "Existing tiddler will be overwritten!" now.

-m

Excellent approach. Thanks!

PMario

Jun 12, 2017, 9:55:21 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 1:27:01 PM UTC+2, PMario wrote:
new version available: V 0.1.0 - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

@TiddlyTweeter ... As suggested, I did also rename the plugin to bundler! ...

The settings tiddlers needed to be renamed too, since they weren't synced with the node server version. Instead of $:/state, they use $:/config now.

-mario

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 10:07:03 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PM, I think "Bundler" makes most sense for the plugin name & glad you changed to it before it got too late :-). I had to manually delete a few things to clear out the old version. I was getting two "Bundles" tabs in "More". No big deal. Sorted. J.

PM: @TiddlyTweeter ... As suggested, I did also rename the plugin to bundler! ...

PMario

Jun 12, 2017, 10:31:08 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 4:07:03 PM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao PM, I think "Bundler" makes most sense for the plugin name & glad you changed to it before it got too late :-).

Yea, That's one reason, why feedback is so valuable ... and there is the advantage of beta software. ;)

I had to manually delete a few things to clear out the old version. I was getting two "Bundles" tabs in "More". No big deal. Sorted. J.

I hope, we sorted out the names now. ...

-m

PMario

Jun 12, 2017, 10:45:14 AM6/12/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 11:38:13 AM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao PMario

  PM: - Bundle function as a list of tiddlers. One tiddler per line

IGNORE COMMENT PREFIXED LINES FROM COUNT

That's not easy to implement, with the current mechanism used.
We use a filter similar to this:  [enlist{name.bundle}]  which the TW core can handle out of the box. I also use the existing AdvancedSearch export button. So no special code added yet.

The bundler plugin is there to "protect" the new UI and the import "hooks" that allow us to detect what's going on and give user feedback.

This suggestion pertains only to the simple list of tiddlers Bundles. For me that is the only place I'd need it. It would allow rudimentary description of contents. At the moment a comment line would be ignored in an export, but still be counted.

Yea, It seems it won't do crazy things, but it counts every word separated by spaces. ...

Not sure if it is possible. Is it a headache?

.... kind of :)

Another way might be to have an information field that describes the content, as I suggested before, but that is maybe overkill? Being able to add comments in Bundle may well be enough?

I'll have a closer look about a "bundle view-template".  .... but the list will need to stay in the way it is atm.

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2017, 5:58:13 PM6/12/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao PMario

This suggestion pertains only to the simple list of tiddlers Bundles. For me that is the only place I'd need it. It would allow rudimentary description of contents. At the moment a comment line would be ignored in an export, but still be counted.

Yea, It seems it won't do crazy things, but it counts every word separated by spaces. ...

IF the lines were like this would it be easier? ...

In this case there are three lines starting "[[---......

I can live with it if the Maths don't add up, but receivers may get confused (if the Tiddler bundle is included) that the total should be only 10, not 13.

What I hoped was that "documentation lines" could be discounted in the displayed total for these kinds of bundles. But I understand its quite a complex technical issue to solve.

Maybe documenting a bundle could be done another way?

Best wishes
Josiah

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 13, 2017, 12:02:36 PM6/13/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

PMario wrote:
new version available: V 0.1.0 - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

STRAIGHT TO JSON?

At the moment when you click the download icon on a bundle you get these options ...

Instead, could it not, by DEFAULT, skip that menu and go directly to a JSON download?

Best wishes
Josiah

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

PMario

Jun 13, 2017, 5:56:17 PM6/13/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 6:02:36 PM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
STRAIGHT TO JSON?

At the moment when you click the download icon on a bundle you get these options ...

Instead, could it not, by DEFAULT, skip that menu and go directly to a JSON download?

I did a test, and the first 3 are valid options. ".tid" should be removed, since it doesn't do the expected thing

-m

Mark S.

Jun 13, 2017, 7:48:51 PM6/13/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Pmario,

Comment:
Enable Import Bundle doesn't check for duplicates in the bundle. (I know, it probably doesn't matter)

Comment:
If Enable Import Bundle is on AND Enable Overwrite Check is on AND you change the checkboxes to let the overwrite happen, the overwritten items are not added to the import.bundle tiddler.

Question: How are the numbers next to the bundlers listed supposed to work? For instance, the example.bundle has:

HelloThere
// asdf
GettingStarted

The count is listed as 2/4 (I added in 'HelloThere'). I assume that that means 2 of 4 items are ready to export. What is it counting as the 4th item?

Thanks!
Mark

PMario

Jun 14, 2017, 1:39:31 AM6/14/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 1:48:51 AM UTC+2, Mark S. wrote:
Comment:
Enable Import Bundle doesn't check for duplicates in the bundle. (I know, it probably doesn't matter)

It's like a "log" function. If something is imported twice, it's recorded twice.

Comment:
If Enable Import Bundle is on AND Enable Overwrite Check is on AND you change the checkboxes to let the overwrite happen, the overwritten items are not added to the import.bundle tiddler.

I'll have to check this. ... but I assume we have ti "fix" the core import function here.

Question: How are the numbers next to the bundlers listed supposed to work? For instance, the example.bundle has:

HelloThere
// asdf
GettingStarted

The count is listed as 2/4 (I added in 'HelloThere'). I assume that that means 2 of 4 items are ready to export. What is it counting as the 4th item?

uups, thats my fault. The "// asdf" was a test, that I forgot to remove. So I published it by accident.

The "enlist"  operator makes no difference between line-break and white-space. So "// asdf" is counted as 2 tiddlers.

-m

PMario

Jun 14, 2017, 1:42:49 AM6/14/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 7:39:31 AM UTC+2, PMario wrote:

The "enlist"  operator makes no difference between line-break and white-space. So "// asdf" is counted as 2 tiddlers.

Technically you can write a list of bundle tiddlers in one row. ... It's much harder to handle for humans, that's why I used a line break.

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 14, 2017, 12:52:55 PM6/14/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario & Mark S.

On the import.bundle having duplications.
That is fine for me.

FYI, the simple logging method (latest, last) has already helped me to identify a faulty imported macro I needed to undo in a TW. In the past I would have had to spend more time figuring it out. Since the log is simply an APPEND to plain text you can manually edit the list with comments if you want to (though it will change the count). IMO, its very useful when you are developing a TW.

Josiah

Mark S. wrote:
Enable Import Bundle doesn't check for duplicates in the bundle. (I know, it probably doesn't matter)
Message has been deleted

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 15, 2017, 11:26:20 AM6/15/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

PMario wrote:new version available: V 0.1.0 - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

Small point. Would it not be better if the default naming was "bundle.new" NOT "new.bundle". It just looks better when searching or looking at the Tiddler hierarchy ... e.g. ....

and ...

Best wishes
Josiah
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 17, 2017, 4:29:01 PM6/17/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Tutti

I think once you start Bundling a lot of things get easier and you start to experiment.

I noticed that you can bundle components of plugins (??is that a copyright issue??).

For instance I'm bundling from PMario's Bundler Plugin these two Tiddlers ...

$:/plugins/wikilabs/bundler/doc/table-all-filters
$:/plugins/wikilabs/bundler/ui/Buttons/test-filter

... to include in all wikis, devoid of the Bundler Plugin, because they are so useful & don't need the rest of the plugin to run.

Best wishes
Josiah

Mark S.

Jun 18, 2017, 1:28:28 AM6/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
It's kind of convenient to rebundle the tiddlers of the bundler plugin into it's own bundle. That way you can add bundling to a TW without having to save and reload.

It's seems like there needs to be the opposite ability as well -- take a bundle list and delete those tiddlers from the current TW. This would allow you to archive in 2 steps: Export & Delete.

Thanks!
Mark

PMario

Jun 18, 2017, 7:01:51 AM6/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hmmm,

That's interesting. This points out, that we should create a "best practice" info about plugin configuration / licensing, soon.

On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 10:29:01 PM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I noticed that you can bundle components of plugins (??is that a copyright issue??).

For instance I'm bundling from PMario's Bundler Plugin these two Tiddlers ...

$:/plugins/wikilabs/bundler/doc/table-all-filters
$:/plugins/wikilabs/bundler/ui/Buttons/test-filter

... to include in all wikis, devoid of the Bundler Plugin, because they are so useful & don't need the rest of the plugin to run.

I think it's more a management problem, than a licensing issue. The plugin uses a BSD-3-clause license. So every tiddler shipped with the plugin is part of that agreement. If you follow the link the BSD license says:

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

So you can do pretty much everything that you want. Since redistribution "with or without modification" is allowed. So using and redistributing just 2 tiddlers is allowed. ... if you meet the following conditions... all of them!:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

So you basically should include the license tiddlerhttps://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fwikilabs%2Fbundler%2Flicense too. It contains the copyright notice. and a link to the original license. .... but no link to the original plugin (.. that's my fault. I should fix this :)

I personally don't include the license text itself, since it sometimes is bigger then the plugin source code. So I consider it bloat, if several plugins with the same license are used. They would contain it several times. ... but I like the copyright section, that points out who designed the plugin / content. ...

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

With TW this is the same as 1) since javascript is "source and binary form" at the same time.

3. Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

Section 3) is there, to protect the copyright holder from using his/her name in an abusive way.

The following paragraph is the "disclaimer" mentioned above in section 1). ... It basically says, that the user is responsible, if s/he breaks something using the plugin. ...

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

------------------

Some personal thoughts.

I do use the BSD-3-clause license for plugin and content, where I want it to be compatible with the TW-license, since it is the same. So it will be very easy to implement stuff from my plugins to the core without any licensing incompatibilities.

For other stuff I use the Creative-Commons licenses in all their flavors. (because I like them)

They can be "very restrictive" as: CC-BY-NC-SA and go to very open like: CC-BY ... So this license-family works very well, if you want to start very restrictive and loosen the license (if you want), when the project evolves.

They are all compatible. So switching from restrictive to open step by step doesn't cause any licensing incompatibilities. ( Remark: Going from open to restrictive doesn't work, since everyone can use the open stuff, as soon as it is published.)

The most important thing, about licensing, for me is: You can always ask the author to change the license, if you have good arguments. See the communication with the vis.js project that is used by TiddlyMap.

have fun!
mario

PMario

Jun 18, 2017, 8:16:06 AM6/18/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 1:01:51 PM UTC+2, PMario wrote:
So you basically should include the license tiddlerhttps://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fwikilabs%2Fbundler%2Flicense too. It contains the copyright notice. and a link to the original license. .... but no link to the original plugin (.. that's my fault. I should fix this :)

I did just publish a new version. It also fixes the "// asdf" problem, that mark mentioned :)

2017.06.18
new version V 0.1.1 beta - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

modified license file, to be sufficient for full attribution and licensing of the bundler plugin namespace. So every component of the bundler itself can be bundled, without any problem, if the license is part of the bundle. (This is kind of experimental, but imo a simple way to deal with "namespaced" bundles. ..)

@TiddlyTweeter .... As a user, is this a way, that you can live with, without too much trouble?

If this works out well this could be a "generic" way to include different licenses from different users into one bundle, without creating issues.

eg: we already have a naming convention for system tiddlers. $:/plugin/<authorName/pluginName/license which is for a single plugin.

This may be cumbersome, if you use many different plugins from different users. So we probably could simplify it like this.

$:/plugin/<authorName/license  where the license tiddler contains a generic link to the authors main page legal statements. Similar to the TiddlyTools Legal statement tiddler. .... using the idea, not the content ;)

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 19, 2017, 4:15:50 AM6/19/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

I'm playing with it now & will reply later. I started a separate, but related, thread here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/YKlLXWovXvQ

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 19, 2017, 4:38:14 AM6/19/17
to TiddlyWiki
On broader discussion on Copyright in TW I would like to contribute this thought ... maybe its been said before?

The lowest, and most basic, "Copyrightable Unit" is the Tiddler. It is not plugins or other assemblages (like bundles). They can, of course, collectively define their contents under Copyright, but the basic unit seems to me to be individual Tiddlers.

Take the case of svg's or single macros or widgets. Would it not be better if a default Copyright Field were available for every Tiddler? And that when that field was created it would automatically be shown in that Tiddler's "footer" region?

Best wishes
Josiah

PMario

Jun 19, 2017, 4:57:36 AM6/19/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 10:38:14 AM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
The lowest, and most basic, "Copyrightable Unit" is the Tiddler. It is not plugins or other assemblages (like bundles). They can, of course, collectively define their contents under Copyright, but the basic unit seems to me to be individual Tiddlers.

yes.

Take the case of svg's or single macros or widgets.

This are kind of 2 different things. ... For SVGs there is an established mechanism. I'll respond in the other thread. macros and widgets are tiddlers.

Would it not be better if a default Copyright Field were available for every Tiddler? And that when that field was created it would automatically be shown in that Tiddler's "footer" region?

Theoretically speaking: yes.

Practically speaking: no   ... This would be a "management" nightmare and probably unnecessary bloat and noise. ... So users may be driven away.

I'll respond in more detail in the other thread.

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 26, 2017, 4:44:32 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

PMario wrote:
[...]

Its not an issue for plugins if taken over whole since the author deals with that in the plugin anyway?

So it would be needed for only the small number of cases where you bundle Tiddlers from a plugin, but not a plugin as a whole?

Right?

So we probably could simplify it like this...

$:/plugin/<authorName/license  where the license tiddler contains a generic link to the authors main page legal statements. Similar to the TiddlyTools Legal statement tiddler. .... using the idea, not the content ;)

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 26, 2017, 5:26:40 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark S. & PMario

The Bundler mechanism, from my point of view, especially when you have an exact list, rather than a filter, looks to me like it could be re-factored to provide bulk delete selection.

I think the beauty of it is it eases export and import a lot in a minimal way. If somehow the same "Bundle List" could be passed to selectable delete it would make it a top-notch management tool IMO.

The fact is import/export is a major gateway into and out-of a TW. It seems to me that explicit tracking of events around that are amongst the most important to be able to manage. The Bundler is the good step towards that. A Destroyer could put icing on the cake.

FWIW, the tracking of imports I found particularly useful in knowing what to delete (accurately) later.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 26, 2017, 6:01:07 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

The Bundler works really well. My only issue is I really would like to be able to document what's in a bundle without it throwing off the count ...

I'm wondering if there is another way to deal with this if it can't be done directly in the Bundle?

PMario wrote:

2017.06.18
new version V 0.1.1 beta - https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

Best wishes
Josiah
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

PMario

Jun 26, 2017, 9:09:20 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:44:32 AM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

Its not an issue for plugins if taken over whole since the author deals with that in the plugin anyway?

So it would be needed for only the small number of cases where you bundle Tiddlers from a plugin, but not a plugin as a whole?

Right?

right.

-m

PMario

Jun 26, 2017, 9:19:07 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 11:26:40 AM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I think the beauty of it is it eases export and import a lot in a minimal way. If somehow the same "Bundle List" could be passed to selectable delete it would make it a top-notch management tool IMO.

The fact is import/export is a major gateway into and out-of a TW. It seems to me that explicit tracking of events around that are amongst the most important to be able to manage. The Bundler is the good step towards that.

A Destroyer could put icing on the cake.

I like that name :) ... I would need to have a closer look. I want to user functions, that are "out of the box" as much as possible.
So we'll see. ... I did create an issue at github.

But first I need to finish the "datarchiveadaptor" .. what ever that is ;)

have fun!
mario

PMario

Jun 26, 2017, 9:24:23 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 12:01:07 PM UTC+2, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:
The Bundler works really well. My only issue is I really would like to be able to document what's in a bundle without it throwing off the count ...

I'm wondering if there is another way to deal with this if it can't be done directly in the Bundle?

Hi
If you create a feature request at: https://github.com/wikilabs/plugins/issues it won't be forgotten.

I can see the desire and would have implemented it already, if it would be simple. May be it is, just I don't know :)

I'll need to play a bit with some fancy regexp filters. But I'm not sure.

-m

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 14, 2017, 5:59:30 PM8/14/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario and Josiah,

Great stuff! Here’s my attempt to document bundles:

1) I create a comments tiddler per bundle using a naming convention, e.g.: bundlename.bundle.info
2) I implemented a view template that integrates additional info in bundle tiddlers: https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html#%24%3A%2F_telmiger%2Ftemplates%2Fbundles
– export button
– .info tiddler

(I use my rpn plugin to concatenate tiddler title and .info suffix. – I am sure there are other ways.)

Feedback welcome.

Thank you for this great tool!
Thomas

TonyM

Aug 14, 2017, 9:15:17 PM8/14/17
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,

Thanks very much for your work. Tiddler bundling seems to me to be very useful. Prior to seeing your bundling solution I found the need to do something similar using a manual export to JSON files. I was wondering if you could tell me how you would do something I would like to do using the bundling tool?

I have multiple tiddlywikis including files and Node.JS, I have tiddlers that contain content I want across multiple tiddlywikis, for example I have a tiddler that documents my local Network devices etc... and other tiddlers with similar functions. I have these tiddlers hosted on my Synology NAS, but I also want it on my Mobile phone should the NAS or Network be unavailable. I have nominated the NAS server as the owner of this and related tiddlers so If I wish to update them I force myself to use the NAS version, update them then export them to a JSON file called "NASTiddlers", and import them to other tiddlywikis that require them. I have some rudimentary tagging and fields to indicate which tiddlywiki owns which tiddler and which tiddlywikis include the tiddlers owned my another wiki?

My Question to you Mario with a deeper knowledge of your bundling plugin how would you flag and manage within a bundle the concept of a source or owner tiddlywiki for a bundle, its tiddlers and the widdlywiki's that use the shared tiddlers from various bundles?

Thanks in advance Mario
And thanks for all you contributions which are valued

Tony

PMario

Aug 15, 2017, 8:17:32 AM8/15/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 3:15:17 AM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
I have some rudimentary tagging and fields to indicate which tiddlywiki owns which tiddler and which tiddlywikis include the tiddlers owned my another wiki?

That's the tricky part.
It makes it a many-to-many relationship in "database speak", which isn't easy to resolve, without at least one more "lookup table"

My Question to you Mario with a deeper knowledge of your bundling plugin how would you flag and manage within a bundle the concept of a source or owner tiddlywiki for a bundle, its tiddlers and the widdlywiki's that use the shared tiddlers from various bundles?

IMO a bundle config tiddler is similar to a recipe, how to build the bundle.json file. ...
So what we probably need here is a recipe of recipes for exporting from NAS-master.html to several NASTiddlers-for-targetX.json

From within the browser, this won't be possible without new javscript. But this would move the plugin away from it's generic nature. So I'm reluctant with this approach. ... similar to the commenting prefix that Josiah requested.

 ... But may be it can be accomplished from the TW command line build system. ... BUT I'm not really sure here. ... more testing would be needed.

Thanks in advance Mario
And thanks for all you contributions which are valued

You are welcome.

have fun!
mario

Mat

Aug 15, 2017, 3:12:04 PM8/15/17
to TiddlyWiki
@pmario

A few thoughts;

1) I miss a brief introductory paragraph about what it achieves. (I personally think I know... kind of but not sure... but many others don't at all, of course.)
1b) ...or maybe I'm missing something: GettingStarted says "Documentation and more can be found at: https://wikilabs.github.io/#bundler" - but I don't find documentation there.
2) I vaguely recall discussion about whether bundling could also serve as "handles" for drag'n drop between TWs, rather than export to local. How does Bundler behave in this regard?
3) Is there a particular reason why the bundles list is in static format, rather than with tiddler links?

Thank you for your wonderful contributions, Mario!

<:-)

PMario

Aug 15, 2017, 4:01:45 PM8/15/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 9:12:04 PM UTC+2, Mat wrote:
1) I miss a brief introductory paragraph about what it achieves. (I personally think I know... kind of but not sure... but many others don't at all, of course.)

You are right. There's plenty of room to improve the docs.

1b) ...or maybe I'm missing something: GettingStarted says "Documentation and more can be found at: https://wikilabs.github.io/#bundler" - but I don't find documentation there.

bug. wrong link

2) I vaguely recall discussion about whether bundling could also serve as "handles" for drag'n drop between TWs, rather than export to local.

Not really. The drag&drop mechanism doesn't know anything about bundles. So if you drag a bundle tiddler link, it would just use it as a standard single tiddler.

How does Bundler behave in this regard?

It doesn't change the core d&d mechanism.

3) Is there a particular reason why the bundles list is in static format, rather than with tiddler links?

readability. If you remove the tiddler type-field you'll see what happens.

There are 2 possibilities.

 - a list of tiddlers ... space separated or new-line separated.
   I used new-line, because it improves readability with type: text/plain

   I did implement it that way, to be compatible with the core.
   see: existing tiddlers tagged: $:/tags/Filter at tiddlywiki.com

Thank you for your wonderful contributions, Mario!

you are welcome!

have fun!
mario

TonyM

Aug 15, 2017, 9:07:29 PM8/15/17
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,

I think my question may have led you down a more complex path than I intended. Your developer mind took a hold. I am thinking more of a practice and procedural solution. For example using the tag used to select tiddlers for inclusion to indicate the tiddlywiki that owns the tiddlers. Since I have some ideas of my own I will learn about your solution more deeply and return with what I find. Then perhaps if there are any outstanding questions I will be in a better position to ask questions. Or I will simply share what I discover.

Thanks
Tony

PMario

Aug 16, 2017, 5:41:30 AM8/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 3:07:29 AM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
I think my question may have led you down a more complex path than I intended.

If my idea works, the solution should be straight forward. ... We'll see.

-m

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 16, 2017, 6:55:19 AM8/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

Mat wrote:
1) I miss a brief introductory paragraph about what it achieves. (I personally think I know... kind of but not sure... but many others don't at all, of course.)

PMario replied:
You are right. There's plenty of room to improve the docs.

If you think it would be useful I can think more about writing brief notes on USE CASES that The Bundler addresses? Let me know. I'd write that on Github rather than here? To give you idea here are some of major ones ...

- Assist in the distribution of Applications

- Logging & backing up Customisations you have made

- Assist when doing non-trivial Upgrades

- Create packages of your favourite tools for easy transfer between TWs

- Import Bundle. Tracks what you added sequentially. Good for backtracking, debugging & Tiddler management

- Filtered version provides a click-ready mechanism for regular backups and distribution of bulk content.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 16, 2017, 7:26:25 AM8/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Thomas & PMario

Thomas Elmiger wrote:... my attempt to document bundles:
1) I create a comments tiddler per bundle using a naming convention, e.g.: bundlename.bundle.info
2) I implemented a view template that integrates additional info in bundle tiddlers: https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html#%24%3A%2F_telmiger%2Ftemplates%2Fbundles

THE UPSIDE...

Thomas, I been playing a bit with it. I can see how it could be handy for some use cases having a wrapper with the export button to hand. For instance ...
  • When an Application author has a "package" that consists of several plugins and maybe other components too. Your ToDoNow app is a great example of that has quite a number of pieces. Its neater to have them all in ONE bundle. So the "wrapper" is a note on the contents and a link that makes it easier to install.
  • For stuff in bulk all of the same type. For instance, for a library of SVG Tiddlers where you may want a note saying "25 SVGs derived from FontAwesome ... Note on licence".

LIMITS

  • I don't think it would help much if you have complex mix of contents in the Bundle because the notes you would end up putting in the wrapper would end up duplicating what would be better done directly in the Bundle (an issue PMario is thinking on how to do without throwing the "count off"). Here's an example from my own use of a Bundle  I maintain for TW that post to Twitter that illustrates that point ...

bundle.twitter

[[--- Prepare a new Tweet ---]]
$
:/core/ui/Buttons/new-tweet
$
:/core/images/twitter-plus
$
:/config/NewTweet/Title
$
:/config/NewTweet/Text
$
:/config/NewTweet/Tags
$
:/language/Buttons/NewTweet/Hint
$
:/language/Buttons/NewTweet/Caption

[[--- Riz's macros for Tweeting whole Tiddlers ---]]
[[--- SIMPLYFY, THEN ADD ---]]

[[--- Telmiger'
s macros for Tweeting sections of Tiddlers ---]]
[[ADD IT]]

[[--- Telmiger's editor plugin for character counts ---]]
$:/plugins/telmiger/EditorCounter

[[--- TiddlyWiki official timelines plugin for Twitter ---]]
$:/plugins/tiddlywiki/twitter

[[--- Button layouts for Twitter posting ---]]
$:/tags/PageControls
$:/tags/ViewToolbar
$:/tags/EditToolbar

Tchüss
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 16, 2017, 8:55:45 AM8/16/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao PMario

Thanks for all of this. Both on "Destroyer" and on "in bundle comments".

Great stuff!
Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter wrote:
... https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/remove-states/ ... because its offers both BULK & individual ... deleting ... could be scaled of the Bundler approach?

PMario replied ...
I think, I can add a DESTROYER function, and reuse the core "Are you sure" dialog. ..

@TiddlyTweeter wrote:The Bundler works really well. My only issue is I really would like to be able to document what's in a bundle without it throwing off the count ...

I also consider to implement a possibility to "comment" in bunder config tiddlers. .. TW can handle the .multids tiddler format "application/x-tiddlers", which already knows, how to deal with comments. ... BUT I'm not sure atm, how I want to implement it. .. I'd like to improve the "enlist" operator, so the bundler plugin can stay simple. We'll have to see, what Jeremy says.

In the mean time I could implement a temporary operator for testing.

Abraham Samma

PMario

Sep 6, 2018, 5:06:32 PM9/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

just a reference!

-mario

PMario

Sep 6, 2018, 5:39:21 PM9/6/18
to TiddlyWiki
From the other thread:

> So the new convention would be, that the title-prefix for a "comment-tiddler" is 3 dashes + a space: "--- "

title: --- a new bundle ---
tags: $:/tags/Bundle

[[--- a new bundle ---]]
[[--- the above title would include itself into the bundle ---]]

[[--- a new bundle docs ---]]

If "--- a new bundle docs ---" exists, it would be also included.

just some more thoughts.

-m

Mohammad

Sep 7, 2018, 2:44:36 AM9/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,
 Where can we download the latest verstion of bundler plugin?
I see several links over the net!

- Mohammad

PMario

Sep 7, 2018, 6:43:19 AM9/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 8:44:36 AM UTC+2, Mohammad wrote:
Mario,
 Where can we download the latest verstion of bundler plugin?
I see several links over the net!

This is not implemented yet. ... It's a discussion atm. .. There is "only" 1 line that need to be changed.

It would be nice, if you test it and give feedback here.

-m

Mohammad

Sep 8, 2018, 4:28:38 AM9/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mario.
Sure I will give my feedback!

Best

Nick Milodragovich

Mar 13, 2019, 12:38:15 PM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry if this is a simple answer, but where can I download this plugin? This functionality is so crucial to me so I can easily break off parts of my master TiddlyWiki, but I'm no coder and am at a loss for where to download and how to implement this. A link I've seen a bunch doesn't seem to be working: https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/bundler/

Ton Gerner

Mar 13, 2019, 12:51:22 PM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Nick,

For me the link works and I can find the Bundler plugin via Control panel > Tab plugins.

Cheers,

Ton

Birthe C

Mar 13, 2019, 2:10:31 PM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Nick,

The link you had works, but it takes a little time....I think it is redirected. Go to control panel, plugins. Drag the plugin to your own wiki and drop. Accept the import. Save your wiki and refresh the wiki.

Birthe