[TW5] Plugins updated: ToDoNow, Listreveal, Reminders

Thomas Elmiger

Mar 20, 2018, 5:47:41 PM3/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello TW-friends

After quite some time I have updated most of my plugins on https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html with some minor and some deeper going changes. Generally I have tried to make my stuff more robust for different designs. Additionally I have been able to integrate some user feedback from the last five months ore so.

As always: Please make a backup or two before updating. And if you update, update all dependencies.

Enjoy and keep the feedback coming!
Thomas

===

From the readme of ToDoNow:

Version 1.2.9

  • Minor redesign with better icons, context sensitive colours, less whitespace and additional configuration options:
    • hide the header of ToDoNow
    • check and adjust author/creator info and task template
    • translate all text, date and time formats on ToDoNow via translation tiddlers
      • you can leave the translation empty to save the space
  • independent save button (no longer a duplication of the core save button, so adding an accesskey to the core version should not be a problem anymore)
  • listreveal updated to version 0.3.21
  • reminders updated to version 0.1.6

Special thanks to Surya, Mark, Jasper and Josiah for feedback and suggestions!

manuar...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2018, 9:32:35 AM3/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, those are awesome plugins indeed! Listreveal and todonow are going in my personal wiki ;)

A suggestion, would be useful

Thomas Elmiger

Mar 21, 2018, 7:50:37 PM3/21/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manuarteteco

Thank you for your kind words.

Your last sentence is not fully understandable though for me, could you explain more?

Cheers,
Thomas

TonyM

May 7, 2018, 3:48:42 AM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thomas,

I did not realise the power of Listreveal until now. Did I miss something or have you not provides a macro you can call to activate Listreveal ?

I just created one from a clone of the one in the plugin, it has a default filter that can be overridden in calling the macro.

<<listreveal>> or <<listreveal "[all[tiddlers]tag[Projects]sort[title]]">>

Do you want me to share it or have I missed your own?

Regards
Tony

Thomas Elmiger

May 7, 2018, 6:59:47 AM5/7/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,

Please share, you can save me some work
:–D

In fact I recently thought about that, but never implemented one.

Thank you!
Thomas

TonyM

May 7, 2018, 8:03:50 AM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Her you are,

Some people may wish to remove the 4th line so only the list displays.

Can be safely imported to any wiki (I think)

PS I am not sure If I broke something but the edit button is not doing as I expect.

Regards
Tony
ListReveal Macro.json

@TiddlyTweeter

May 7, 2018, 9:31:20 AM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Listreveal is a secret weapon :-)

I think its a very fine piece of software design (I have no idea how you do that!). Its flexible & highly relevant to many aims. Its a kind of approach to Tiddler making that is, basically, a total interface. The combination of being able to immediately create, organise, select and edit in situ is useful for most everything. Yet you never get lost with it. I think you got something absolutely right in answering a design need. And, as it goes on it gets clearer that you can use it "backstage" too to author in an organised way.

Best wishes
Josiah

Shay Shaked

May 13, 2018, 10:19:29 PM5/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Dear Thomas,

I'm playing around with your ToDoNow again. I might need some dumb-proof explanation to a couple of things (perhaps you have more documentation?)
  1. How can I create subtasks inside a "ToDo" Tiddler, or, what would you suggest for a big project that has a breakdown of smaller things?
  2. Can you save a template of a project by modifying the "ToDo" tiddler or would that break anything?
  3. What's the scope and the stuff it can do?
Thanks in advance, and thank you for this awesome work.

Thomas Elmiger

May 27, 2018, 9:59:07 AM5/27/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shay,

Interesting questions, sorry that it took me so long to come up with some short answers, see below. I had other projects stealing my time and I realized from other posts you made, that ToDoNow is not the final tool you are looking for anyway ;–)

Dear Thomas,

I'm playing around with your ToDoNow again. I might need some dumb-proof explanation to a couple of things (perhaps you have more documentation?)
I don’t have more at the moment, but questions like your’s feed my motivation to add more.
  1. How can I create subtasks inside a "ToDo" Tiddler, or, what would you suggest for a big project that has a breakdown of smaller things?
If you use other tags than "ToDo" on your tasks, e.g. "project 1" and "project 2" you can filter your list with the project filter (on the top right, same height as the search field). This is how I connect tasks to projects or sub-projects. Furthermore you can use the fabulous Checklist Plugin for the very small subtasks of a task.
  1. Can you save a template of a project by modifying the "ToDo" tiddler or would that break anything?
ToDoNow is a rather complex solution, so it is very likely you break something while modifying tiddlers. This is why I made everyting translatable – so you can create your own language and label everything as you like. Not sure if this covers your case though? (Please ask again if you need help. I am slow, but willing to help.)
  1. What's the scope and the stuff it can do?
Personal task management.
* use tags for (sub-) projects
* use due-dates (optional: reminders)
* use priorities (define your own, letters and/or numbers)
* sort tasks according to dates, priorities or titles (alphabetically)
* move a task from state to state: Waiting > Do > Done > Archive ( > Delete)

Thanks in advance, and thank you for this awesome work.

You are welcome, thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
Thomas

Mark S.

Oct 19, 2018, 11:03:18 AM10/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Todonow on TiddlyDesktop is a little more difficult to use. When you click on a priority, it creates a drop-down list. But when you click on an item from the drop-down list, the "click" wants to bleed through to the priority of the task underneath. Only by moving your mouse around can you, sometimes, find the place to click that will change the correct tiddler. This behavior doesn't occur in FF.

Thanks!
-- Mark

Thomas Elmiger

Oct 20, 2018, 11:20:30 AM10/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

Thanks for letting me know. I don't know how to debug in TiddlyDesktop, so it would be interesting to know if any browser produces the same effect.

All the best,
Thomas

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 21, 2018, 11:48:52 AM10/21/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

On 20 Oct 2018, at 16:20, Thomas Elmiger <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't know how to debug in TiddlyDesktop

Just to point out that from the point of view of browser functionality, TiddlyDesktop uses the Chrome rendering engine, and so it’s worth checking if you get the problem with regular Chrome so that you can debug it there if you have to.

If you do need to debug in TiddlyDesktop you can access the developer console by right clicking and selecting “Inspect element” (or pressing the F12 key).

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mark S.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:15:58 PM10/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, it might be Chrome-related. I'm on Linux at the minute and Chrome there seems to manifest the same problem.

Just to clarify, when clicking on a priority, there is a drop-down box with priority letter choices. Each letter is surrounded in dark grey. Then a thin band of white. Then the entire block of priority choices is surrounded by light grey. Ideally you just click on a letter to set the priority. But in Chrome/TiddlyDesktop, you have to very carefully click on the tiny white band that surrounds the letter, on the top or sides (but the bottom never works). If you click on the letter itself the click drills down and activates the priority pop-up for the task below it rather than setting the current task priority.

Thanks!
-- Mark

Mark S.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:57:42 PM10/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Please ignore this report for the moment. On a whim I went to the ToDoNow site and tried it in Chrome. It doesn't seem to have the problem. So it may be just a problem in my "ancient" version of TodoNow.

Thanks!
-- Mark

Mark S.

Oct 21, 2018, 11:37:14 PM10/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ok! The problem disappears in the latest edition of TodoNow.

Thanks for listening !
-- Mark

Willy Tanner

Oct 24, 2018, 9:40:52 AM10/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello TodoNow folks

without wanting to hijack this thread but is there a way to suppress the visibility of a todo item before a certain date (scheduled date, start date)?

Quite often I need to plan todo items a long time into the future but my every day life would become messy if I'd be forced to deal or even just see all these items long before they can be acted upon.

Thank you
Christoph

Mark S.

Oct 24, 2018, 10:13:10 AM10/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
I mark all those "future" items with priority "W" (for waiting). Then use the filter to hide W items:

+[!priority[W]]

Although the W items are hid from the main todo list, they're not hidden when you check "Today". So, once a day, when you check today's outstanding tasks, you can change the priority to make the items visible again in the main list.

-- Mark

Thomas Elmiger

Oct 27, 2018, 5:14:44 AM10/27/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christoph,

If ALL your tasks have a deadline*, you can set a "user-filter" like this:

+[days:todo-deadline[-14]] +[days:todo-deadline[30]]

where the two numbers define how long after the date has passed you want the task to be listed (-14) and how many days into the future you want to see (30).

Examples for user filters can be found on the tab "user-filter" of the plugin or you can play with it here.

*Tasks without a deadline will NEVER be listed with this.

Happy Do-ing!
Thomas

Mark S.

Dec 19, 2018, 12:05:22 PM12/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
There seems to be a bug, at least to me. Any date-stamped item more than two weeks (approx, use 3 weeks for testing) old disappears from the "today" list.

Yeah, I know, I shouldn't ignore them so long. But shouldn't they always be in my face until I take some action, even if it's just tweaking the date?

-- Mark

Thomas Elmiger

Dec 20, 2018, 2:00:05 AM12/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

Thanks, that's a recurring issue, so I should probably take it more serious...

There is a personal insight behind this feature: If I could ignore something for two weeks, it can't be that important for today. It remains in the complete list marked as late. You should revisit those tasks also from time to time ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas

Kalmir

Dec 20, 2018, 7:44:38 AM12/20/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I do this by tagging these items with a "future" tag and by filtering out this tag. That seem better to me then using priority, as it doesn't preclude assigning the task its actual priority (1-3). Or do I miss something? I also do the same also with "someday/maybe" tag. Then at the end of the week I filter them in to review those items.

On a related note, is it just me who thinks more than just 1 user filter (button) would be great? I mean now if I want to use different filtering, I need to delete the previous filter. Since I usually revert back to the original one, I need to write it in again. Of course some copypasting helps but to be able to choose from different filters would be awesome.

However, I have no idea how difficult to implement this would be. And I don't want to sound like I am complaining about the lack of this feature. On the other hand, Thomas, thank you lots, ToDoNow is what I was looking for and works great :)

Mark S.

Dec 20, 2018, 9:59:52 AM12/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
We seem to have very similar systems. I give a "W" priority to future tasks and filter them out. But they appear in the "today" link which I check once a day, so that way I don't lose track of them.

I use a selectable list of filters. I insert the following code below the first div in $:/plugins/telmiger/todonow/user-filter.  Each filter is a tiddler tagged as Filter.

<!-- MAS SELECTION CODE HERE -->
<$select tiddler="$:/temp/tdn/user-filter" default='General Usage'>
<$list filter='[tag[Filter]sort[title]]'>
<option value={{!!text}}><$view field='caption'/></option>
</$list>
</$select>
<!-- MAS END SELECTION CODE HERE -->

The main thing is that I have to delete $:/plugins/telmiger/todonow/user-filter whenever Thomas does an update, and then paste it back into the updated tiddler after the update. I mark the code with the comment brackets so I tell which parts I've inserted.

-- Mark

Mark S.

Dec 20, 2018, 10:06:11 AM12/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
As they say, life happens.

In this case I filter out items marked with "W" priority and a due date. I check "today" once a day so these items aren't lost -- or so I thought. But sometimes a task is contingent based on other requirements.  In this case, the task was repeatedly bumped by weather conditions and then by a schedule change. No problem. It will show up in "today". But then it disappeared from "today" without my noticing. Thus the problem.

Thanks!
-- Mark