Stroll updates

David Gifford

May 16, 2020, 11:34:46 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi everyone

5-16:

I added a Troubleshooting page to the Stroll tutorial tabs: https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html

Also see the recent additions to the Goodies for Stroll page: https://giffmex.org/stroll/goodies.html

David Gifford

May 18, 2020, 12:46:58 PM5/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
5-18:

Per request, I added a Stroll add-on to the Goodies page: View the references section as highlighted search results in context, but hidden under sliders.

I also added tabs to the goodies page, since the list of goodies was getting too long.

Reet Pandher

May 18, 2020, 1:28:05 PM5/18/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yesssss!!! Thank you so much Dave!!!

David Gifford

May 21, 2020, 2:30:48 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
5-21

1) The dropdown to customize the edittemplate is finished, and is no longer just a goodie, but a part of the main Stroll site and the empty file. There is also a way to add it to your file even if you don't want Stroll itself. Thanks to Birthe, Mat and others who helped me with this.

2) I have either deleted or converted the non-system tags in Stroll to system tags, so that new users get a clean tag dropdown.

3) Related tutorial changes, esp the Advanced stuff and Add Stroll to your TW tabs.

Enjoy!

Nick

May 21, 2020, 3:34:03 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
1) is terrific thank you

Mark S.

May 21, 2020, 4:07:40 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki

I attempted to update my existing Stroll. Unfortunately, it did not add the new edit template option. Is there any additional steps for that to happen?

Thanks!

Mark S.

May 21, 2020, 4:20:27 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Re "goodies", dragging and dropping "subrefs" tag doesn't seem to add new option under red eye.

David Gifford

May 21, 2020, 4:29:28 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
oh! Thanks Mark, I forgot to update that tiddler. I will fixe that today.

David Gifford

May 21, 2020, 4:30:17 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
In the mean time you can give it the tag $:/giffmex/refs and it should work

Samhan Salahuddin

May 21, 2020, 4:48:20 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Dumb question ? How do I get the new updates while preserving my data ?

David Gifford

May 21, 2020, 4:56:44 PM5/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
5-21, part two

Okay, I messed up. I got too eager and pushed changes before sufficiently testing the three files. I *think* it is all fixed now:

1) The new edittemplate section had the bigeditarea tag, but not the stroll tag. Now it has both, and dragging the $:/giffmex/stroll tag should also add the new edittemplate feature.

2) I did not update the goodies page sufficiently. I have now added and changed the tags necessary for them to work with the updated tags for Stroll. That is, $:/giffmex/subrefs, $:/giffmex/giffcolors, $:/giffmex/tbtabs, $:/giffmex/ideastew, and updated the tag pills in the instruction pages, and the tiddlers that depended on those tags. I also deleted unnecessary tags from plugins and my tiddlers so that adding the goodies will not add non-system tags to the user's tag list.

Thank you all for your patience and feedback!

David Gifford

May 21, 2020, 5:52:27 PM5/21/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samhan

Following the instructions at https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html#Welcome%20to%20Stroll should work fine. This will add new system tiddlers and overwrite old system tiddlers from the previous version of Stroll, but will not delete any of your tiddlers. The only thing it will overwrite of yours is if you made changes to Stroll's tiddlers themselves. But if you have any doubt, make a backup copy of your Stroll file before updating, to be safe.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 3:48 PM Samhan Salahuddin <samha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dumb question ? How do I get the new updates while preserving my data ?

May 22, 2020, 10:51:55 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey David! Thank you so much for your work, Stroll has truly been a pleasure to move my notes and life into.

I have a question about possible functionalities of the map, if you don't mind me asking. Proactive disclaimer: I get easily overwhelmed with code, so forgive me if some of what I'm asking is obvious or seems downright stupid

Do you know of any way it's possible to modify TiddlyMap so as to show all notes and their connections to one another, ala Obsidian and Roam? And/or show connections based on tags? Live View with the connections bumped to unlimited is close, but not quite there.

David Gifford

May 22, 2020, 10:56:37 AM5/22/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Travis,

Sorry I can't be of much help. TiddlyMap is not a native part of Stroll, and I am not very familiar with it. Hopefully the maker of that plugin can respond here to help you.

Birthe C

May 22, 2020, 11:30:22 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
t,

Have you looked at tiddlymap demo site There are several examples, may be some of them could help you.

Birthe

Osin

May 22, 2020, 7:44:57 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,
This looks great. I have used TiddlyWiki on and off and I've been looking into giving it a more serious shot, after hearing about Roam and diving back into note taking in general. What you built here looks like it might fit the bill, as long as I come up with a system.

Because Scroll is fairly new, say you hypothetically stopped developing it alongside the official TW releases, would there's a way to "revert" it to the official TW? I see it's possible to add it to an existing TW and it's possible to uninstall TiddlyBlink, but is it possible to easily uninstall Stroll or disassociate it from TW should there be a need?

Thanks

David Gifford

May 22, 2020, 9:01:34 PM5/22/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Osin

Deleting Stroll is the same as deleting TiddlyBlink: go to $:/AdvancedSearch in your file, paste [is[system]tag[$:/giffmex/stroll]] in the search box to search for that string, and click the garbage can icon to delete the tiddlers.

Birthe C

May 22, 2020, 9:17:11 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
David,

Exactly. You have created a very modular system. Everyone can have exactly what they want and nothing they do not want. At the same time it shows the strength of tags. Tagpill drag and drop import, easy filtering for deleting and so on.
That is why I find it strange that so many has asked you to make it into a plugin.

Birthe

David Gifford

May 22, 2020, 9:51:57 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, Birthe, I think the people asking for plugins are either people with a long history of TiddlyWiki, who are kind of locked into plugins as their default way of thinking, and those who use GitHub.

This is an adaptation of TiddlyWiki that combines many plugins. There is someone helping me to package the Stroll parts as a plugin, but it still needs the other plugins to work. I am still not sure that Stroll will benefit from being a plugin. People who only want parts of it will not be satisfied that everything is packaged together. Some people might get confused and think it will work without the other plugins. But since so many people are asking for it, I am fine with it becoming a plugin and hosting it on Github. To each his or her own. But I see it as an adaptation or an extra-official 'edition'.

Osin

May 23, 2020, 7:31:57 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks David, it looks like the setup is fairly modular and I shouldn't get "stuck", I'll just need to learn a bit more about TW and its back-end.

Reet Pandher

May 23, 2020, 8:51:57 AM5/23/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi t,

I ran into the same problem as you:
Here is how to setup tiddlymap to view all tiddlers:

1. Click on the 3 horizontal bars on the right of the view tab.
2. Create new view
3. Enter the following code and hit OK :

<$tmap view="All" editor="advanced" ></$tmap>

4. Click on the bars again and rename it to All
5. Click on the bars and Configure View
6. Paste the following code in the Node Filter column under Edit Filters tab:

[!is[system]]
+[limit[100]]

7. Select Floating Nodes under Layouts tab and hit OK.

Alexander Zelenukhin

May 26, 2020, 5:47:36 PM5/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
I encountered a problem when using Stroll.
Before that, I tested TiddlyRoam and in it if you set [[name of a non-existing tiddler]] in the editor, when saving this link, it was highlighted in yellow.
In Stroll, it is saved, but it does not indicate that a tiddler needs to be created.
In addition, I have TiddlyMap installed and when creating [[name of a non-existing tiddler]] in the editor and trying to save it, it throws a JavaScript error:
Internal JavaScript Error
Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser
Uncaught Cannot group by property to
You have to click OK and click save again. In addition, a duplicate "tiddler 1" is often created in addition to the main "tiddler".
TiddlyRoam doesn't have this problem, and TiddlyMap doesn't issue any errors.

David Gifford

May 26, 2020, 6:18:18 PM5/26/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 4:47 PM Alexander Zelenukhin <alexander....@gmail.com> wrote:
I encountered a problem when using Stroll.
Before that, I tested TiddlyRoam and in it if you set [[name of a non-existing tiddler]] in the editor, when saving this link, it was highlighted in yellow.
In Stroll, it is saved, but it does not indicate that a tiddler needs to be created.

That is correct, Stroll automatically creates tiddlers from links when saving edits to a tiddler. TiddlyBlink did this, too, but I think when I upgraded it at some point I failed to update the edittemplate. I will need to fix that on TiddlyBlink. It is meant to imitate Roam, which  The yellow you are seeing from TiddlyRoam and TiddlyBlink is CSS to indicate missing tiddlers.
In addition, I have TiddlyMap installed and when creating [[name of a non-existing tiddler]] in the editor and trying to save it, it throws a JavaScript error:
Internal JavaScript Error
Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser
Uncaught Cannot group by property to
You have to click OK and click save again. In addition, a duplicate "tiddler 1" is often created in addition to the main "tiddler".
TiddlyRoam doesn't have this problem, and TiddlyMap doesn't issue any errors.

I have an empty Stroll file with TiddlyMap installed on it. I created a link to a nonexistent tiddler and saved changes, and I could not replicate the problem you are seeing. The new tiddler was created and the tiddler containing the link saved with no problem, and there were no error messages. I am at a loss for what to tell you.

Alexander Zelenukhin

May 26, 2020, 7:43:39 PM5/26/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

среда, 27 мая 2020 г., 1:18:18 UTC+3 пользователь David Gifford написал:

That is correct, Stroll automatically creates tiddlers from links when saving edits to a tiddler. TiddlyBlink did this, too, but I think when I upgraded it at some point I failed to update the edittemplate. I will need to fix that on TiddlyBlink. It is meant to imitate Roam, which  The yellow you are seeing from TiddlyRoam and TiddlyBlink is CSS to indicate missing tiddlers.

Can you help me tell me what to edit in CSS so that missing tiddlers are indicate as in TiddlyBlink
 Yes, it helped! Thanks!!!

David Gifford

May 26, 2020, 7:46:03 PM5/26/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 6:43 PM Alexander Zelenukhin <alexander....@gmail.com> wrote:

среда, 27 мая 2020 г., 1:18:18 UTC+3 пользователь David Gifford написал:

That is correct, Stroll automatically creates tiddlers from links when saving edits to a tiddler. TiddlyBlink did this, too, but I think when I upgraded it at some point I failed to update the edittemplate. I will need to fix that on TiddlyBlink. It is meant to imitate Roam, which  The yellow you are seeing from TiddlyRoam and TiddlyBlink is CSS to indicate missing tiddlers.

Can you help me tell me what to edit in CSS so that missing tiddlers are indicate as in TiddlyBlink

Since the step below worked, the missing tiddlers should appear as they do in TiddlyBlink. Correct?
Message has been deleted

Alexander Zelenukhin

May 26, 2020, 8:26:40 PM5/26/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
When clicking on the link the missing tiddler is displayed:
Missing tiddler "Test 5 click  to create
tiddler 4.png
tiddler 5.png

I need Test 5 link in "New Tiddler 4" text to be highlighted yellow until I create it. How it was in TiddlyBlink and TiddlyRoam

Alexander Zelenukhin

May 26, 2020, 8:45:32 PM5/26/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Peeped in TiddlyBlink:
$:/. giffmex/.Stylesheet4Stroll

add a line:
html body.tc-body a.tc-tiddlylink-missing {text-decoration: none; background-color:#ffd; color:#66f; font-style: normal;font-weight: normal;}

Correct?

David Gifford

May 27, 2020, 7:27:38 AM5/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that should be it.

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 7:45 PM Alexander Zelenukhin <alexander....@gmail.com> wrote:
Peeped in TiddlyBlink:
$:/. giffmex/.Stylesheet4Stroll

add a line:
html body.tc-body a.tc-tiddlylink {text-decoration: none; background-color:#ffd; color:#66f; font-style: normal;font-weight: normal;}

Correct?

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3:26:40 AM UTC+3, Alexander Zelenukhin wrote:
[...]

Reet Pandher

May 27, 2020, 7:42:06 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,
Sorry to bother you again but i have noticed a bug with TiddlyMap that exists in strollwiki but not in tiddlywiki.
When you enter fullscreen mode in TiddlyMap in strollwiki and double click on a node it displays the following error:

Internal JavaScript Error

Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'shiftKey' of undefined

Normal behaviour for this action is that tiddlymap will open the corresponding tiddler inside the map itself (which is a pretty handy feature when reviewing multiple tiddlers for exams).

I have tested this on an empty strollwiki file as well so it is not caused by any plugins.  Also, i didn't apply the tiddlymap fix for stroll either; tiddlymap was used as in it's original unaltered state.

If possible please look into it.

Thanks

David Gifford

May 27, 2020, 8:04:38 AM5/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reet,

Okay, yes, I am reproducing the error. I don't have the technical expertise to figure this error out, but here is a workaround:

1. Install the link-to-tabs plugin from https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/link-to-tabs/ and save and refresh.
2. Click the link icon over the Map tab (visible on clicking that tab). This will open TiddlyMap as a tiddler, and doubleclicking a node will open the tidder in the story river.

If this is not an acceptable workaround for you, then please at this point use TiddlyBlink or TiddlyRoam of Drift. I will post about this on the Stroll site. and I will post there, and here in the Google Group, if we get this sorted out.

Reet Pandher

May 27, 2020, 9:18:41 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,

No issues. For now whenever i need that TiddlyMap feature i just import all my tiddlers into an empty tiddlywiki file with tiddlymap and just work from there.
Having it work in Stroll would just be a bonus addition :)

Thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tiddl...@googlegroups.com.

Brady77

May 27, 2020, 10:54:13 AM5/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

thanks for your release. I have a problem with the official Markdown plugin and links. Following your instructions I made a system tiddler $:/config/EditorTypeMappings/text/x-markdown, autocomplete works, but the link does not render correctly (see the screenshot). Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Petr

2020-05-27 16_47_10.png

David Gifford

May 27, 2020, 11:01:41 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
no screenshot?

David Gifford

May 27, 2020, 11:05:06 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Petr

Did you refresh your file? That is a plugin change. I may need to make the instructions clearer. Does refreshing your file work?

Brady77

May 27, 2020, 11:06:28 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry, just edited my previous post.

Brady77

May 27, 2020, 11:12:59 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Well, I do think so. Saved and reloaded. Not sure if "refresh" means something else...

Thanks.

David Gifford

May 27, 2020, 11:15:37 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Brady77

1) Do you have the Markdown plugin? The troubleshooting was for people who have that plugin installed and are having problems. https://tiddlywiki.com/plugins/tiddlywiki/markdown/

2) Did you refresh your browser after creating the shadow tiddler?

Saq Imtiaz

May 27, 2020, 11:20:22 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Brady77 the problem is that [[..]] is not valid markdown syntax for a link.

To enable that format for a link follow these steps:

edit the following shadow tiddler:
$:/config/markdown/renderWikiTextPragma

and replace the text with:

\rules only html image macrocallinline syslink transcludeinline wikilink filteredtranscludeblock macrocallblock transcludeblock prettylink

This is a list of rules as to what wikisyntax should be parsed from markdown tiddlers after the markdown parser has gone through it. Note the last one, prettylink. That is what you want and is not enabled by default.

@David would it be worth it to offer a markdown ready version of Stroll?

Brady77

May 27, 2020, 11:35:33 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi @Saq Imtiaz

Now the link renders correctly! @David Gifford It would be nice if you add this note to the Stroll instructions (to edit the shadow tidder as well). Thank you all for your help.

David Gifford

May 27, 2020, 11:41:50 AM5/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I just want to be clear before I add these instructions: this change to the markdown instructions would be in addition to the currently existing instructions at https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html#Troubleshooting, correct?

David Gifford

May 27, 2020, 11:44:00 AM5/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Here is the text I am considering to update the troubleshooting tiddler regarding Markdown. Is this clear or does this need to be made more clear in any way?

''I have the markdown plugin, but autocompletion for linking doesn't work in my Markdown tiddlers!''

The autocompletion of links with double brackets `[[link]]` is controlled by the comptext plugin. Users of Markdown have noticed that they can't use the autocomplete in their Markdown tiddlers. To make autocompletion compatible with formatting in Markdown tiddlers, create a tiddler with the title `$:/config/EditorTypeMappings/text/x-markdown` and put this in the text field: `comptext`

Then, to enable the `[[]]` format for a link, open the following shadow tiddler: $:/config/markdown/renderWikiTextPragma and replace the text with: `\rules only html image macrocallinline syslink transcludeinline wikilink filteredtranscludeblock macrocallblock transcludeblock prettylink`

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

Brady77

May 27, 2020, 11:47:40 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes @David Gifford, into the "Markdown" seciton just below the existing hint "Autocompletion for linking doesn't work in my Markdown tiddlers!". Thanks. Petr

Stephen Wooten II

May 28, 2020, 8:49:42 PM5/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Pardon me, is it possible to disable Stroll auto-creating missing tiddlers?  I would like to use the Missing tab almost as a "to-do" list of sorts.

David Gifford

May 28, 2020, 11:14:27 PM5/28/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Just delete these two tiddlers, found in sidebar > more tab > system tab

$:/config/ui/EditTemplate

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5520f633-b9eb-441e-9a9c-6b8bbe25973d%40googlegroups.com.

Stephen Wooten II

May 28, 2020, 11:41:38 PM5/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mr. Gifford,

Thank you very much for the assistance.  This worked absolutely nominally.

Thank you for your contributions on the toolmap, as well, if you do not mind my saying!

David Gifford

May 29, 2020, 8:31:53 AM5/29/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome, Mr. Wooten!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/9dd0e579-bfca-4175-abdc-47c50b334fd8%40googlegroups.com.

Kai Xu

Jul 3, 2020, 10:31:11 AM7/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi both Alex and David,

I was going through the chat also trying to make my Stroll stop auto-creating tiddlers. Following above works and many many thanks for the info!

Just so for this last point on changing the style of titles for missing tiddlers, I did something different to make things work. Just pasting here in case people find it useful.

I changed the line (in the file mentioned by Alex) from
.tc-tiddler-missing .tc-title { font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; }
.tc-tiddler-missing .tc-title { text-decoration: none; background-color:#ffd; color:#66f; font-style: normal;font-weight: normal; }
instead of following Alex exactly.

David Gifford

Jul 3, 2020, 10:54:18 AM7/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Simpler solution: delete $:/.giffmex/.../EditTemplate. Sorry, writing from the hospital, don't remember the middle part.

Mat

Jul 14, 2020, 12:42:06 PM7/14/20
to TiddlyWiki
@David

I strongly suspect that there's a bug in this stylesheet. I discovered this bug in HC Haases TOCgeneric and reported it here and it seems that plugin reuses the stylesheet from your plugin. The bug is a superfluous curly brace at the very end of the stylesheet. This makes the stylesheet interfere with other things because the specificity in the css definitions is very high so it takes precedence over "everything". The solution is to simply remove that extra curly brace. Note that the formatting in the style definitions is not consistent there so it is easy to get confused with the braces.

Thanks.

<:-)

David Gifford

Jul 14, 2020, 12:47:08 PM7/14/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat

Thanks for catching that! I just updated both the Stroll file and the empty file. You might need to hit refresh. Blessings and thanks again.