A beautiful post that describes the Joy of Tiddlywiki

Donald Coates

Sep 11, 2020, 6:25:29 AM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
This post by Ross Laird about his idea concerning web development does a beautiful job of describing so much of what makes Tiddlywiki so great. It's a nice read for a quiet moment.

Just one of many gems:

"And we should try, I think, to create online experiences that encourage us to be in close alignment with who we are and who we wish to be. For me, this means choosing online tools that are open, friendly, adaptable, and fun to use."

TW Tones

Sep 11, 2020, 9:50:01 AM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks For Sharing.

Goes along the lines of my thoughts lately of democratising information technology so people can thrive and expand, not be slaves.

Tones

Donald Coates

Sep 11, 2020, 10:30:05 AM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
He writes so well.  Have you looked into the Fediverse at all?  I have been toying with friendica and pleroma and I'm going to try misskey soon.  Trying to find a way to get my friends and family away from centralized social media platforms.  Though those fediverse platforms have their own cons at least you aren't being manipulated by algorithms or data farmed.

TW Tones

Sep 11, 2020, 7:38:18 PM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Donald,

He writes so well.  Have you looked into the Fediverse at all?  I have been toying with friendica and pleroma and I'm going to try misskey soon.

No but I will, thanks for the references

I am a signied up and paid member (This is importiant) of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WT_Social but it is still in the process of forming. Not sure if I will stick with it.

Trying to find a way to get my friends and family away from centralized social media platforms.  Though those fediverse platforms have their own cons at least you aren't being manipulated by algorithms or data farmed.

Oh, so needed. We need a revolution away from the monolithic conglomerations. I think tiddlywiki has a role to play here.

Regards
Tony

Donald Coates

Sep 11, 2020, 7:52:47 PM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
It absolutely does.  The bulk of the fediverse uses the ActivityPub protocol which is something that could definitely be implemented in tiddlywiki.  Well I shouldn't say definitely because it is above my pay grade atm but I'm learning.

Interesting to note at the bottom of the article you referenced is this sentence: "However, as of November 7, 2019, Wales stated that he had just learnt about ActivityPub and was looking into it."

TW Tones

Sep 11, 2020, 8:45:32 PM9/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Donald,

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

There are two aspects to the wiki tribune, the news and the social.

I actually own a large set of domain names (sitting in abeyance) for which I have an idea that would prosper from a loosely coupled network that could replace social media, however its key purpose is to allow connections and sharing with the ability to later retract access . Too big to describe here, but it would benefit from this technology. Perhaps a key addition is a two way encryption in the relationship between every node in the wiki and permitting selective publishing. eg; Share my phone number with family.

The key desire is for everyone to totally own their own data, to update it and even retract after the event.

Regards
Tony

talha131

Sep 12, 2020, 3:23:00 PM9/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Donald for sharing it. It's eloquent.

Besides the other links that you and Tones have shared, there is also https://webmention.net/, which can partially replace the established comments system.

TW Tones

Sep 12, 2020, 8:08:46 PM9/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
Add to commenting Discus and others

Bimlas created a few.

Tones

Donald Coates

Sep 12, 2020, 9:54:05 PM9/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you!  I had looked into webmentions as a plugin for wordpress at one time.  You have hit on something I am very interested in -- activitypub based comment system so that 1) you can use a 'universal login system' and 2) conversations can happen both on the blog page and, in the event of a single comment/reply situation, a person can do that within their own 'feed'.  Webmention doesn't really do either of these and is very limited.  They talk about conversations but there is no way to really reply.  So if I had webmentions and you mentioned my post in your feed, that mention would show up but I could not directly answer it in a way that is useful.  You may be able to answer but there is no 'nested' view of a back and forth so it would be quite difficult to follow the conversation.  I may be wrong the documentation is sparse but that is what I came up with looking at wordpress implementations.

One idea I had was a pleroma instance and then using an iframe.

As you can see on my blog I chose to just go with Remark42 which allows anonymous logins.  You still have to choose a username so I'll see how much spam is generated,  Not that I'm expecting a bunch of visitors.  I'll post more in a how to but I spun the Remark42 up in a docker container then put the <script> in a tiddler that I transcluded into the rendering template.  Then just put the placement <div> in the blog post template and Viola!   Well probably I haven't done extensive testing but it seems to be working.

Ste

Sep 13, 2020, 4:40:09 AM9/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mighty be helpful...