A much much better alternative to my todo plugin

Mohammad

Jul 18, 2019, 1:45:13 AM7/18/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I just realized JD has a much much better todo list plugin! I have not seen he has announced it before!
By the way he has a public todo here!

We know JD for his great work on TW theme and several other brilliant plugins!

So, I stopped further development on my Tiny Todolist!

Cheers
Mohammad

A Gloom

Jul 18, 2019, 2:51:15 AM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
I just realized JD has a much much better todo list plugin! I have not seen he has announced it before!
By the way he has a publish todo here!

I know how it feels, I'm always thinking that what I think I have discovered may already been discovered : )

Jed Carty

Jul 18, 2019, 3:40:14 AM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
There are many different ways to make things and implementations that match different needs, even for something as simple as a todo list.
Making something specific to your needs isn't a problem, and it is likely that someone else will have similar needs and your versions will be more useful to them than existing versions.

I have made multiple implementations of todo lists to fit specific needs of a task, one version isn't going to fit every situation.

Those are very distinct from both the version JD made and the version Mohammad made.

That isn't to say you have to make everything, but making things that already exist in another form isn't necessarily a bad thing or a waste of time.

TonyM

Jul 18, 2019, 8:56:25 AM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Jed is correct.

Divercity is good.

Mohammad

Jul 18, 2019, 9:39:15 AM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Jed and Tony!
 Yes, but amazingly they are very similar! The difference is Jd uses tiddlers for task and I am using key/values!

Tiddlers give much more flexibility! The UI is much better! That was why I thought it is better to support Jd work.

--Mohammad

h0p3

Jul 18, 2019, 2:41:58 PM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
His tool is excellent! I don't see why it is a "much much better altnerative" though. I like different features of both of your work. I like that your tool doesn't create a bunch of tiddlers (even if that means I don't get nesting and other cool features). Your archiving is useful. I also prefer your UI in my sidebar.

Thank you for your work. It adds to the ecosystem.

passingby

Jul 18, 2019, 2:47:10 PM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 11:41:58 AM UTC-7, h0p3 wrote:
His tool is excellent! I don't see why it is a "much much better altnerative" though. I like different features of both of your work. I like that your tool doesn't create a bunch of tiddlers (even if that means I don't get nesting and other cool features). Your archiving is useful. I also prefer your UI in my sidebar.

Thank you for your work. It adds to the ecosystem.

I support that. I always like the plugins and macros to have the *least footprint*.
I also liked that Mohammed's plugin came together with a bunch of macro based icons which can be extended to suit one's own work needs.

All the creative people are somewhat self critical of their work quality. I say to you (Mohammed), do not abandon your plugin. Many people like it. Its a good thing to have many options.

Watt

Jul 18, 2019, 5:16:42 PM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
It's a data-tiddler driven beast of a todolist Mohammad!

With a framework that can be applied to many different applications - diary, bird watching logger, run keeper, habit loop logger, geolocation logger, anything time based that doesn't really need a full tiddler for each event. As h0p3 suggested it would make a good frontend for a calendar.

Some things are so trivial they only need to be recorded with a line but didn't you develop a mechanism to convert index:value pairs into tiddlers for your Trashcan app? Maybe you could incorporate that as an option so that we have the best of both worlds?

Todolist may be 'done' but I'm sure you're going to find new ways to reuse its efficient mechanisms Mohammad, keep them coming!

George Goodman

Jul 18, 2019, 7:05:56 PM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
I've not been able to find any documentation on JD's todo implementation. If anyone has a pointer, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll dive in and let the code speak for itself.

george g.

TonyM

Jul 18, 2019, 7:48:37 PM7/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
The data tiddler method without "polluting" the tag or even tiddler names, and not using the text field is why I grabbed it right away for application on a wiki I am developing for others. I can have a to do list for each tiddler under development, and hide them with a click.

May be its niche but its a niche I need.

Regards
Tony

Mohammad

Jul 19, 2019, 3:12:19 AM7/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks all!
I hopefully publish a final release on GitHub with documentation!
What I said was, if the TW ecosystem works you should easily find other works and not only you can benefit of them
but also you can save time!

Cheers
Mohmmad