Navigation Issue: Small tiddlers all on the screen

Mohammad

Jun 16, 2019, 9:19:16 AM6/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
This may be a redundant question

Assume you have several tiddlers open in story view! When you click on a link in one of tiddler which point to another tiddler
TW will bring it in focus and navigation is performed as you expected!

Assume now the tiddlers are small so at a time several of them are in view! if you click on a link points to one of these tiddler, TW
will not do anything as that tiddler is on screen! THIS IS CONFUSING!

My question is, how can change the settings if any to bring the target tiddler to top of view port (screen) when you click on such links!

--Mohammad

Mat

Jun 16, 2019, 10:43:34 AM6/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
if you click on a link points to one of these tiddler, TW
will not do anything as that tiddler is on screen!

This is not correct. It will scroll the tiddler to the top edge of the screen BUT not if the clicked at titles are at the bottom of the river so that they cant scroll up without leaving an empty gap beneath them. If you need that also the bottom most tids actually align with the top edge then you can use Felix Hayashis TopStoryView found in, among other places, his TiddlyMap site. That plugin had some additional benefits before whihc have since been integrated in native TW so it is now more or less outdated except for this matter you bring up.

<:-)

Mohammad

Jun 16, 2019, 11:12:56 AM6/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mat!

 If you create three empty tiddlers in tiddlywiki.com and close all others! Then if you clicked on a tittle its tiddler is in the middle you will not get any change on the screen!
So, while I KNOW some code is running at the behind, there is no visual reaction from TW! This may cause confusion!

What you said is true for those tids cross the top and bottom screen borders! They will come into focus!
--Mohammad

PMario

Jun 17, 2019, 5:12:57 AM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

I did add a "fix toc" pull request [1], last week. This PR also contains a very little (but extremely powerful) new feature, that will let us highlight a so called "focused-tiddler". ..

This focused tiddler can be different to the current-tiddler element of the $:/HistoryList. It will allow us to eg: style the focused tiddler border. In the future, it will be easy to make focus changes visible. ...

With the PR the focused tiddler status is used to highlight the "current" element in the sidebar TOC. .. With a plugin, this behaviour can be extended. So if an open tiddler reaches the eg: upper 1/3 of the screen, the focused-tiddler field will be updated, in the TOC. So you can see, which tiddler is "active" at the moment.

I did release a video about the TOC refactoring some time ago. .. The behaviour described above can be seen from about: 3:20 - 4:40.

The plugin _is not_ part of the PR. It will be published at wikilabs, once the PR is merged. I hope, it will be merged and published with 5.1.20. ...

The PR still contains a glitch, that I have to fix, this week, since I've been on holidays last week :)

The full video [2] also demonstrates some functions, that I did remove from the PR, to increase the chance to get the PR merged.

have fun!
mario

[2] the full Video about TOC refactoring status: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaevaODdKyA

TonyM

Jun 17, 2019, 5:56:24 AM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mario

I am really looking forward to a focused tiddler. will be able to somehow add the ability click on a tiddler in the story view to cause it to be focused or only from such a toc.

great addition
Tony

PMario

Jun 17, 2019, 10:25:02 AM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 11:56:24 AM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
I am really looking forward to a focused tiddler. will be able to somehow add the ability click on a tiddler in the story view to cause it to be focused or only from such a toc.

great addition

The idea is to have a 2 way communication between the TOC and the story. BUT ... The TW tagging has to be simplified first. I did already check, what needs to be done. .. It isn't that hard. Just manually remove some tags, to make the toc-structure "unique". That's it. .... So it should be enough, to change the doc-tiddlers a little bit.

have fun!
mario

PMario

Jun 17, 2019, 10:37:19 AM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'm not 100% sure if the "focused-tiddler" plugin is able to handle the full 2 way communication, or if we need a button in the ViewTemplate. ... Something like "Show in TOC".

For big and nested TOCs it may be a problem, if it has to do the "open/close" logic in a fast pace, on story scroll. At the moment the focused-tiddler logic waits 100ms, to be sure the user stopped scrolling. Then it updates the focused-tiddler history field. The rest is done by TW and it's "on-change" redraw magic.

have fun!
mario

Mohammad

Jun 17, 2019, 2:11:39 PM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Many thanks Mario,
 This is great and I am really looking forward to have this excellent feature in TW 5.1.20.

I also hope this also simplify the story and history mechanism.

Best
Mohammad

TonyM

Jun 17, 2019, 5:55:29 PM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mario

"Focus tiddler" button could be a good name because I think once we have the ability to have a focused tiddler people will innovate around that. For example they may make a sidebar tab that lists the focused tiddlers fields or references and backlinks. Or a quick edit view etc.

Regards
Tony

TonyM

Jun 17, 2019, 6:03:26 PM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Post script

Having a focus tiddler button will allow it to be used in lists so I wonder if an action focus tiddler would be helpful?

tony

PMario

Jun 17, 2019, 7:13:36 PM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 8:11:39 PM UTC+2, Mohammad wrote:
I also hope this also simplify the story and history mechanism.

I'm not sure about this one. ... It doesn't change any mechanisms. At the moment, it only uses mechanisms that already exist in TW, which are "kind of hidden" at the moment.

But the idea is, .. in the future .., to have a simple mechanism to deal with several story-rivers. There has been a proposal at github some time ago, which goes into the same direction.

-m

PMario

Jun 17, 2019, 7:18:28 PM6/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 11:55:29 PM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
..
"Focus tiddler" button could be a good name because I think once we have the ability to have a focused tiddler people will innovate around that. For example they may make a sidebar tab that lists the focused tiddlers fields or references and backlinks. Or a quick edit view etc.

This should be relatively easy to implement. ... The mechanism is similar to the "HotZone" plugin from tiddlymap. ... But the implementation is "simpler", since it only uses existing TW core functions.

-m

Mohammad

Jun 19, 2019, 10:35:32 PM6/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mario,
It seems TW 5.1.20 soon will be released. I am asking to see if it is possible to have the exclude parameter working for TOC macro

--Mohammad

PMario

Jun 20, 2019, 3:48:10 AM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
hi,

The PR contains a user facing "exclude" parameter.

-m

Mohammad

Jun 20, 2019, 5:00:01 AM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki