Where is the KeeBoord plugin?

Adam Shepherd

Dec 13, 2018, 5:50:32 AM12/13/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!
I can't seem to locate BTC's amazing keeboord plugin anywhere. Muuritouch is gone too. (But that is a smaller issue for me. Although it was just as great as the other. )

What happened? Where is it? Keyboard navigation is what makes tiddlywiki (and most software for that matter) a real tool. Without full control with a keyboard it's too slow.

BurningTreeC

Dec 13, 2018, 6:09:18 AM12/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Adam,

I've put KeeBoord offline temporarily because the new TiddlyWiki version 5.1.18 now includes some features of it and KeeBoord has to be changed

You can see the current state at https://burningtreec.github.io/TW5-navigator

Beware before trying it, this is work in progress!

The MuuriTouch plugin is also about to change, I'll leave a note here in the group when it's done

Adam Shepherd

Dec 13, 2018, 7:15:12 AM12/13/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that is a relief. (That they' are not gone and being worked on.)
Thank you very much for this plugin, it is truly great. I tried it out in an empty tw and seems to work flawlessly. I'll update my tw and see what'll go wrong. :) (hopefully nothing.)

If I may, now that I calmed down (this plugin isn't just good, it is essential for me so I was genuenly upset), I'd like to make a suggestion, an addition I'd love to see: something along the lines of what JD did with his spartan theme - to have a shortcut to focus on the search box. (What JD did with the popup searchbox is actually fenomenal and beautifully implemented (in usability and looks - I can't comment on the way it was coded), too bad spartan theme's ctrl+space search doesn't work with the new tw release and this plugin. I didn't use that though - I didn't have the time to figure out how to add back in the tags section in tiddler edit mode).

BurningTreeC

Dec 13, 2018, 7:32:09 AM12/13/18
to TiddlyWiki

Oh, that is a relief. (That they' are not gone and being worked on.)
Thank you very much for this plugin, it is truly great. I tried it out in an empty tw and seems to work flawlessly. I'll update my tw and see what'll go wrong. :) (hopefully nothing.)

Please make copies before :P

If I may, now that I calmed down (this plugin isn't just good, it is essential for me so I was genuenly upset), I'd like to make a suggestion, an addition I'd love to see: something along the lines of what JD did with his spartan theme - to have a shortcut to focus on the search box. (What JD did with the popup searchbox is actually fenomenal and beautifully implemented (in usability and looks - I can't comment on the way it was coded), too bad spartan theme's ctrl+space search doesn't work with the new tw release and this plugin. I didn't use that though - I didn't have the time to figure out how to add back in the tags section in tiddler edit mode).

 https://burningtreec.github.io/TW5-navigator/  has a shortcut to focus the search field (alt-F but you might need to change it)

the inpututils plugin adds the tags- and search-dropdown select-with-shortcuts functionality ... https://burningtreec.github.io/TW5-navigator/ has that installed, too. alt-Right / alt-Left in the search input changes the search tab ... up/down selects a search entry ... enter opens it in the story-river

Adam Shepherd

Dec 13, 2018, 9:58:01 AM12/13/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I always make backups, that is rule #1. It is at this point an automatic habit. But thank you for reminding me.

I can't believe I haven't seen that, I can't read today. I apologize for that. This is perfect. I did see the inpututils plugin though and installed it and its ability to select within the dropdown of the search field (earlier I only used keeboord for the tags dropdown, not the search box. maybe it wasn't able to do this or I didn't know about it) was the trigger that made me write what I did.

Brilliant work, absolutely terrific. Thank you!

This behavior should be part of tiddlywiki by default. I know, it probably complicates things a bit more, but mouse-free control can be the difference between insanely good and perfect.

Can I ask you what you personally use tiddlywiki for?

BurningTreeC

Dec 13, 2018, 10:31:24 AM12/13/18
to TiddlyWiki

I always make backups, that is rule #1. It is at this point an automatic habit. But thank you for reminding me.

Good! This is still very experimental, I need to repeat that

I can't believe I haven't seen that, I can't read today. I apologize for that. This is perfect. I did see the inpututils plugin though and installed it and its ability to select within the dropdown of the search field was the trigger that made me write what I did.

Brilliant work, absolutely terrific. Thank you!

This behavior should be part of tiddlywiki by default. I know, it probably complicates things a bit more, but mouse-free control can be the difference between insanely good and perfect.

at the tiddlywiki github repo we're discussing about making some of these features core-ready, so I'm looking forward to bringing as many useful things to tiddlywiki

Can I ask you what you personally use tiddlywiki for?

I'm a linux user for ~10 years or so and I've been looking for good notetaking software when I started studying. Pretty late I found tiddlywiki mentioned somewhere and I only found out about it because I had a curious moment. Best curious moment ever... So at first I used it for notetaking only but I soon started playing around and tried to customize it to fit my keyboard-driven workflows...
It's also my new lego, I like playing with it.
Now I use it for my everyday-notes and ideas and as a database to look-up my older ones. What I find extremely useful is reducing older wikies into new ones, taking over only the relevant pieces and connecting them with pieces from other wikies. Sort of a brainstorming workflow

Diego Mesa

Dec 13, 2018, 10:57:28 AM12/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Adam,

I also want to make JD's popup search box a core part of TW. I've used spotlight for mac (also previously quicksilver and now alfred) and many other application/file launchers for windows and linux. I think they are essential.

With BurningTreeC's keeboord plugin (parts of which are now in the core), and that specific part of JD's theme, we now, in theory, have the tools! We just need to figure out how to get them into the core!

Adam Shepherd

Dec 13, 2018, 11:59:11 AM12/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
at the tiddlywiki github repo we're discussing about making some of these features core-ready, so I'm looking forward to bringing as many useful things to tiddlywiki

I'm happy to read this.

Thank you for answering.

What I find extremely useful is reducing older wikies into new ones, taking over only the relevant pieces and connecting them with pieces from other wikies. Sort of a brainstorming workflow

This I have never thought of. Very interesting!
Do you have separate wikis for different things, or you have different ones but not "content-specififc"?

A related question I have here is whether you have a system like h0p3 does? Like what he calls "folders" (if I recall correctly) and structures for those folders that repeat for each one, and then the structure is repeated within the smaller components. (I've found that to be a very good idea, I'm currently trying to figure out how I might use tw - I've been pouring things (ideas, notes, placeholders) into it without much thought about the structure of the wiki and it kind of lost its non-linear nature, I use a toc like in a book and the connection between things is pretty straight-forward. I'm missing out on possible explorations this way. I think this is not what you meant when you mentioned lego but I think that if I could reduce the size of tiddlers and have larger ones as just put together from the small ones I could stitch my notes together in new ways like lego pieces. Not sure if the result would warrant the time I'd spend on reducing my notes/ideas to their essential elements)

Adam Shepherd

Dec 13, 2018, 12:12:38 PM12/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Diego!

I'd like to see that in any way that it could exsist, even it it wasn't a core element. But if it could be a core part, that'd be great!
But with this shortcut to focus on the search box (that is currently working) it would mostly be an aesthetic improvement. If it could be used to do othe things, than it'd be nice. I'm not sure what other things those would be, inserting macros maybe or certain elements perhaps to reach tools w/o mouse use.
I make music with ableton live and one of my favorite feature is to hit ctrl+f and type in the first letters of ceratin tools (they're called devices in the program)  and then hit enter to insert them at the end of the chain. (I often forget where certain things are in photoshop as well, ctrl+f brings up a dialog box there too, and works pretty much the same way but way slower.) I love to be able to get to things like this.

BurningTreeC

Dec 13, 2018, 12:26:15 PM12/13/18
to TiddlyWiki

at the tiddlywiki github repo we're discussing about making some of these features core-ready, so I'm looking forward to bringing as many useful things to tiddlywiki

I'm happy to read this.

Thank you for answering.

What I find extremely useful is reducing older wikies into new ones, taking over only the relevant pieces and connecting them with pieces from other wikies. Sort of a brainstorming workflow

This I have never thought of. Very interesting!
Do you have separate wikis for different things, or you have different ones but not "content-specififc"?

I have content-specific ones, then medley-type wikies, where i mix contents together, they mostly combine more different topics. I use the tiddlymap plugin to look for connections between them. that requires that I keep a certain tagging style through all wikies. Sometimes I just start mashing different topics into one wiki if I know they're related.

[...]

I don't know much about h0p3's system. I use tw both on nodejs and the single-file version, but mostly node when on my computer. When I started using tw I also started just pouring things into it. Then I started sticking with a tagging style and some introduction tiddlers that I use as connecting-tiddlers for additional notes, through linking or tagging. Nothing very fancy.

Diego Mesa

Jan 1, 2019, 10:43:17 PM1/1/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hey BTC,

Keeboord is now partly in the core, and the rest has merged into the Navigator plugin? Is this correct? I'm interested in trying to use this in conjunction with Thomas's simple search popup bar.

Thanks,
Diego

BurningTreeC

Jan 2, 2019, 3:51:11 AM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki

Hey BTC,

Keeboord is now partly in the core, and the rest has merged into the Navigator plugin? Is this correct? I'm interested in trying to use this in conjunction with Thomas's simple search popup bar.

Thanks,
Diego

Hi Diego, yes the Navigator plugin is the current successor. For the search bar Thomas has made you need only a subset of its features, but the easiest way is to get the whole thing

The plugin comes with a macro that makes an input field which is already prepared to be selectable like the tags-input and the sidebar search on burningtreec.github.io/TW5-navigator

The macro is called "selectable-dropdown-input" but it doesn't create a dropdown and it works with or without a dropdown

It's a big macro but not that difficult to integrate. Basically it just replaces an <$edit-text .../>

The input is created within the macro
The actions for going up/down through a list and clearing the input are defined within the macro
The actions for what to do when hitting enter are configurable outside

The macro accepts the following attributes

editTiddler
             the tiddler to edit
inputTag:"input"
            the tag for the edit-text widget, in your case "input" which is default
inputDefault
           a default text for the input, see the edit-text widget docs
inputPlaceHolder
          same, this is just the placeholder attribute for the edit-text widget
inputPopup
          the focusPopup attribute for the edit-text widget
inputClass
          the class attribute for the edit-text widget
inputFocus:"no"
          the focus attribute for the edit-text widget

These are attributes needed for the mechanism that refreshes the input with the selection made by up/down

saveTiddler
        a second tiddler where user input gets written to. necessary for the mechanism to work
                 quick explanation: when we write in the input field the editTiddler and the saveTiddler are written with the user input
                                                      when we select entries from the dropdown the editTiddler gets written with the selection which causes the refresh mechanism to update the text in the input with the selection
                                                      but the dropdown list is always sorted by the saveTiddler content which doesn't change when we make selections, it only changes when we change the text in the input field by typing
refreshTiddler
       this tiddler must change in order to trigger a refresh
       provide a temp tiddler name - this tiddler stores the selected entry
refreshCondition
       the value of this must be "true" so that the mechanism refreshes the input
       just use refreshCondition="""[<__refreshTiddler__>get[refresh-qualifier]removeprefix<__refreshQualifier__>suffix[]addprefix[true]] ~[[false]]"""
       the macro handles that internally to determine the input that corresponds to the refreshTiddler
refreshQualifier
       provide a qualifier using the qualify macro: refreshQualifier=<<qualify $:/temp/coolsearch>>
refreshAction
       this can be one of a set of strings that tells the edit-text widget how to refresh
       just provide refreshAction="focus-update"
       this updates the input text to show the selection and keeps focus within the input

filterTiddler
       this is the most important tiddler in order for the macro to work
       provide a tiddler name, you'll use that tiddler to tell the macro which filters are used and what actions to perform when you hit enter or escape
       you can also provide actions and keys for up to two additional keyboard widgets if you want to add a shortcut that does a custom action like "open all found tiddlers" or "create a tiddler with that title" or whatever
filterMinLength:"0"
       provide a number, in the search-input I use the default filterMinLength={{$:/config/Search/MinLength}}

you don't need these, but if you want the input to cancel other popups when you click within it or when it gets focus, set cancelPopups="yes"
tabIndex:""
cancelPopups:""

Configuring the filterTiddler:

It needs a field "dropdown-filter-1" with the filter used for the first list of the search results
If there's a second list it also needs "dropdown-filter-2" with the filter used for the second list
Thomas uses this filter for the first list: [!is[system]search:caption,title{$(searchTiddler)$}sort[caption]limit[250]]
and this for the second: [!is[system]search:{{$:/plugins/telmiger/simple-search/filter-other}}{$(searchTiddler)$}sort[title]limit[250]] (he's wikifying this, we'll use a simpler thing)
you need to adjust these filters a bit, but results will be the same
         use <userInput> instead of {$(searchTiddler)$} ... userInput is a variable within the macro, it's nothing else than what's stored within the saveTiddler. the filters are used within the macro, where the variable is defined
         dropdown-filter-1: [!is[system]search:caption,title<userInput>sort[caption]limit[250]]
         dropdown-filter-2: [!is[system]search<userInput>sort[title]limit[250]] -[!is[system]search:caption,title<userInput>sort[caption]limit[250]]
         the new "subfilter" filter operator available since 5.1.18 offers more elegant ways to handle such filters which would make this easier
It needs a field "clear-input-empty-actions", just put this inside: <$action-deletetiddler $tiddler=<<__editTiddler__>>/><$action-deletetiddler $tiddler=<<__saveTiddler__>>/><$action-deletetiddler $tiddler=<<__refreshTiddler__>>/>
It needs a field "accept-actions", I use this: <$list filter="[<selectedDropDownItem>!is[shadow]!is[missing]] [<selectedDropDownItem>is[shadow]]" emptyMessage="""<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-edit-tiddler" $param=<<selectedDropDownItem>>/>"""><$action-navigate $to=<<selectedDropDownItem>>/></$list>
         the selectedDropDownItem is the selected entry in the list (or your input) - the variable is defined in the macro
         this opens the entry if it's an existing tiddler and navigates to it in the river
         if it's not an existing tiddler it creates it, opens it for editing and navigates to it in the river

Adding your own shortcuts

you can add 2 additional shortcuts for your own custom actions
use these fields in your filterTiddler for that:

keyboard-action-1-key
keyboard-action-1
keyboard-action-2-key
keyboard-action-2

keyboard-action-1-key: alt-shift-1 (or a shortcut reference like ((my-shortcut))  where you just need to create $:/config/ShortcutInfo/my-shortcut and configure it in the Control Panel)
keyboard-action-1: <$action-setfield $tiddler="bla" text=<<selectedDropDownItem>>/><$action-do-something with=<<selectedDropDownItem>>/>

same for the second

Ok, now I'll try if I can make this work using my instructions and Thomas' plugin

BTC

BurningTreeC

Jan 2, 2019, 5:04:54 AM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Here a single wiki with both working together

The filters configured for the up/down selections are not changed to be the same that Thomas uses

Also, if changing a search-results tab, the simple-search shows its search results but cycles through the results of my open tab

These are small things that need to be touched so that it works correctly
simplesearch-navigator.html

Diego Mesa

Jan 2, 2019, 11:59:15 AM1/2/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks BTC! In briefly playing around with this something interesting happens. If you make tiddlers:

  • tiddler 1
  • tiddler 2
  • tiddler 3
And then search "tiddler" you see all three popup. If you then press the down arrow, it selects "tiddler 1" and the results dropdown only shows tiddler 1, as opposed to all three with tiddler 1 selected - this is because pressing down arrow causes the text of in the search box to change. Now the interesting part is that even after this happens, if I press down again, tiddler 2 shows up! And again, tiddler 3.

Diego

Diego Mesa

Jan 2, 2019, 12:14:48 PM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Here is a gif showing the behavior:

After typing the search term, I am only pressing the down arrow key .

BurningTreeC

Jan 2, 2019, 12:51:04 PM1/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
Diego , I forgot changing the tiddler by which the lists are filtered

Here's the file with both tiddlers open that I changed to fix this

simplesearch-navigator.html

BurningTreeC

Jan 3, 2019, 3:10:58 AM1/3/19
to TiddlyWiki
Here's a new version with some of the problems fixed

simplesearch-navigator.html

Adam S.

Jun 4, 2020, 6:48:57 PM6/4/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Navigator is gone missing again (from github), I love this plugin so I uploaded the last version (with instructions) I have  to this thread. I hope its okay with you, BurningTreeC. Please don't abandon this great plugin, I completely rely on it and the other solutions are nowhere near to navigator! (Not that it needs any updates because it works fine for me.) In case you end up leaving it behind I still want to thank you for it, great work!