Turn field of external tiddler into a link to a tiddler of that name

MagoArcade

Jul 22, 2019, 4:15:08 AM7/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
I must admit, the brackets systems baffles me in tiddlywiki!

So, I have a tiddler named "$:/_opTaskStore" (shadow due to wanting to hide it form general view). Its fields hold data to be used later.

What I am trying to do is retrieve the value from one of its fields from another tiddler (let's call it "Dave") and turn that result into a tiddler link. The field is called "taskname"

So, let's say {{$:/_opTaskStore!!taskname}} holds "MyResultingTiddler" I would see:

in the Tiddler "Dave"

if I were to change {{$:/_opTaskStore!!taskname}} to "MyChangedTiddler" I would get:

in "Dave"

How do I achieve this?

Watt

Jul 22, 2019, 5:21:25 AM7/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
The brackets are a headache. Try this;

<$link to={{$:/_opTaskStore!!taskname}}>{{$:/_opTaskStore!!taskname}}</$link>

https://tiddlywiki.com/#LinkWidget

MagoArcade

Jul 22, 2019, 5:35:12 AM7/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks fella, that worked. I'm really struggling to get my head around TiddlyWiki syntax...

Watt

Jul 22, 2019, 5:57:30 AM7/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
If you search the forum for 'Variable Eric' and look for this discussion it might help with the brackets;
Query 101 -- Where is the Crib Sheet for Bracket & Quote marks?

Sorry I can't get a direct link from the phone, don't think this works;
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/TiddlyWiki/Variable$20eric/tiddlywiki/3DyHxqqFQbg

Eric is a TW Jedi. The cribsheet is in there somewhere, posted by passingby I believe, but all the contributors know much more about it than I ever will. Good luck!

Mat

Jul 22, 2019, 8:26:54 AM7/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
MagoArcade wrote:
I'm really struggling to get my head around TiddlyWiki syntax...

It would be useful if you point out specific things you find confusing and compare it to other languages. While we've all struggled to get the TW syntax, one forgets what the problem was after a while (...well, for some parts at least) so while you're still in a "virgin state" it's good to point out things that could be simpler "if it instead behaved like this".

<:-)

MagoArcade

Jul 22, 2019, 11:40:47 AM7/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks both. Will do.

Mohammad

Jul 22, 2019, 12:40:17 PM7/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi MagoArcade!

 While Watt correctly instructed you to the right answer, you can take a look at TW-Scripts

It is good to study for example the below tiddlers