Searching TW

Bob Jansen

Sep 21, 2020, 1:44:59 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
I am looking for a facility to search TW. Using the sidebar  retrieves tiddlers based on title and/or text matching but I have other fields I want to search and sometimes restrict to one or more fields.

Have installed the Simple Search plugin and am having issues finding things. I have message Thomas to ask him.

Anyway, does anyone know of any other ways to search TW? It would be great to have range searching for numbers and dates.

bobj

Eric Shulman

Sep 21, 2020, 2:16:23 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Although it doesn't currently support "range searching", you might like my TiddlyTools PowerSearch:

To import, just drag-and-drop the title of the PowerSearch tiddler into your TiddlyWiki.   You will also need
to provide the "editable droplist" interface extension.

Note: The PowerSearch is tagged with $:/tags/AdvancedSearch, so it will automatically be
added as a new tab in the $:/AdvancedSearch tiddler.

enjoy,
-e

PMario

Sep 21, 2020, 2:29:45 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi
I did create a simple plugin, that allow you to activate some predefined fields with a checkbox.

If you test it, you will see the tiddlers, that contain the configuration. If you clone such a tiddler, you can create your own search tabs.

have fun!
mario

Dr. Bob Jansen

Sep 21, 2020, 2:42:19 AM9/21/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

Have downloaded the two tiddlers into my wiki.

Seems a great search tool but at the moment it is incredibly slow. Also, it tells me that it has found a tiddler but I can not see any way to open that tiddler. I am obviously missing something.

bobj

--------------------------------
Dr Bob Jansen
122 Cameron St, Rockdale NSW 2216, Australia
Ph (Korea): +82 10-4494-0328
Ph (Australia) +61 414 297 448
Resume: http://au.linkedin.com/in/bobjan
Skype: bobjtls
KakaoTalk: bobjtls
http://cultconv.com

In line with the Australian anti-spam legislation, if you wish to receive no further email from me, please send me an email with the subject "No Spam"

Dr. Bob Jansen

Sep 21, 2020, 2:50:01 AM9/21/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mario,

simple and easy. Be nice to add range searching though.

bobj

bimlas

Sep 21, 2020, 3:03:52 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
The Locator plugin can also help you, you can read about searching for the value of fields here (the video is not clear enough, read the description instead):

https://bimlas.gitlab.io/tw5-locator/#Walk-through -> "Narrow list of search results, search for field values"

If you use fields and tags often, this plugin can be useful for you in several ways. Watch the introductory video at https://bimlas.gitlab.io/tw5-locator/

Eric Shulman

Sep 21, 2020, 3:58:48 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 11:42:19 PM UTC-7, Dr. Bob Jansen wrote:
Have downloaded the two tiddlers into my wiki.
Seems a great search tool but at the moment it is incredibly slow. Also, it tells me that it has found a tiddler but I can not see any way to open that tiddler. I am obviously missing something.

The 4 prefix and suffix edit-lists are initialized with all shadow tiddlers of which there are 1984.
The 2 tag edit-lists are initialized with all tiddler and shadow tags, which depends upon the contents of the file.

Then, as you type your inputs, each list is automatically trimmed based on a partial match with its current input.  In addition, the input values/selections are also used to construct the actual search filter syntax, which is updated "live" as you modify the search criteria and submitted to the TWCore filter search for processing to produce the search results output,

Thus, there's quite a bit of work going on.  I think I can make a few changes to optimize the list initialization, and could also add an option to defer the actual TWCore filter search by adding a button to trigger the search only after you complete your inputs.

This may significantly increase the responsiveness during input.  Of course, once you've completed your inputs, the TWCore filter search will take however long it needs to produce the results.  However, by delaying the search until you press a button, that search would then only be performed once, rather than after each keystroke.

As far as the results go... If says it found a matching tiddler, it should be listed as a link below the input form, which you can then click on to open that tiddler.

I'm going to work on the optimizations and deferred search handling... I'll post an update soon.

-e

Eric Shulman

Sep 21, 2020, 6:15:55 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, September 21, 2020 at 12:58:48 AM UTC-7, Eric Shulman wrote:
I think I can make a few changes to optimize the list initialization, and could also add an option to defer the actual TWCore filter search by adding a button to trigger the search only after you complete your inputs.
This may significantly increase the responsiveness during input.  Of course, once you've completed your inputs, the TWCore filter search will take however long it needs to produce the results.  However, by delaying the search until you press a button, that search would then only be performed once, rather than after each keystroke.

* fixed "focus popup" errors (multiple popup lists had same id... oops!)
* optimized "shadowlist" and "tagslist" generators (now only computed once each, instead of 4 times for shadowlist and twice for tagslist)
* added "show/hide results" button to delay searching until inputs are done.

Note: when results are shown the search will be updated "live" as you type/select inputs.  This is the same as the previous behavior, and is still very useful when performance isn't a problem.  If things slow down too much, just hide the results until you are ready to actually submit the search.

Bob... please download the update and let me know if the performance is better.

enjoy,
-e

Dr. Bob Jansen

Sep 21, 2020, 7:32:57 AM9/21/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

have you thought about a search to user content only? Maybe a separate interface or a button to turn off searching for system/core stuff.

bobj

Eric Shulman

Sep 21, 2020, 9:30:27 AM9/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, September 21, 2020 at 4:32:57 AM UTC-7, Dr. Bob Jansen wrote:
have you thought about a search to user content only? Maybe a separate interface or a button to turn off searching for system/core stuff.

This can be done by searching for all "tiddlers" plus "exclude prefix" of "$:/"

-e