Could we have a zip download saver mechanism?

Mark S.

Dec 8, 2020, 5:09:25 PM12/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Now that we have (or will have in 5.1.23) a means to zip up tiddlers, could we have a download saver that zips up the current TW?

Motivation: Chrome on Android doesn't allow extensions, and now mangles the original file name, adding it's own prefix text. If the saver could save a zipped copy, then the version with the real file name could be stored in the zip file. When you need to start a new session, you can just unzip the file with the right name.

Plus, the zip files would take less space and be easier to manage.

Thanks!

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 10, 2020, 12:37:01 PM12/10/20
to TiddlyWiki Group
Hi Mark

That’s a great idea. Right now the JSZip plugin isn’t a part of the core, so such a saver would have to reside in the plugin.

In the meantime, one could make a custom button for the sidebar that performed the zip and save operation. The example given with the JSZip plugin should get you started,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mark S.

Dec 10, 2020, 3:06:12 PM12/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
I was thinking that the saver would be in the core along with the other savers, but only displayed as an option if it detected the JSZip plugin. Or would display with the message "Install JSZip to activate."

Thanks!

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 11, 2020, 6:00:01 AM12/11/20
to TiddlyWiki Group
Hi Mark

I was thinking that the saver would be in the core along with the other savers, but only displayed as an option if it detected the JSZip plugin. Or would display with the message "Install JSZip to activate."

Yes indeed. In fact, I am interested in the idea of integrating JSZip into the core so that we can add support for compressed plugins. JSZip weighs about 80KB, while compressing the core plugin reduces it from 1.9MB to 330KB. Once we’ve got JSZip we can add core support for things like your saver suggestion, or exporting static HTML with shared CSS as a ZIP file.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thanks!

On 8 Dec 2020, at 22:09, 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki <tiddl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Now that we have (or will have in 5.1.23) a means to zip up tiddlers, could we have a download saver that zips up the current TW?

Motivation: Chrome on Android doesn't allow extensions, and now mangles the original file name, adding it's own prefix text. If the saver could save a zipped copy, then the version with the real file name could be stored in the zip file. When you need to start a new session, you can just unzip the file with the right name.

Plus, the zip files would take less space and be easier to manage.

Thanks!

TW Tones

Dec 11, 2020, 6:33:18 PM12/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

With or without the zip features in the core I am keen to see it's use mainstreamed for the following; I am keen to keep the functionality in single file wikis
  • When wishing to export content to more than one file
    • This is one of the key values of the zip process, because multiple files can be exported in one somewhat automated action.
    • Allow solutions in tiddlywiki to generate files such that will be "ingested" by other systems.
  • Static websites
    • Including when the static site pages link back to the "index.html full wiki" SEO optimise and interactive solution. (this should be an out of the box core solution to help production tiddlywikis)
    • Generation of other types of HTML pages (not just tiddlywiki static tiddlers)
      • Eg allowing HTML in  tiddler interact with the underlying server to login etc..
  • Bundling filtered tiddlers for
    • export or backup
      • Whole or delta
    • emailing a zip or file directly as a submission from read only wikis
  • Compressing and saving the whole or selectively generated tiddlywiki eg; edition
    • With additional files on occasion eg an edition that includes the PHP files for installing tw-receiver. Can include interactive dialogue etc... to generate keys and other security incorporated into the additional files.
  • Generating additional files to be used in conjunction with TiddlyDesktop for local machine interaction.

Can we unzip within tiddlywiki to tiddlers?

Regards
Tones

bimlas

Dec 12, 2020, 6:09:52 PM12/12/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S,

This might be a good basis for further development: import into the prerelease, enter a filter in the Advanced Filter ([!is[system]search[saver]] for example) and press the "Export as Zip" button next to it.