fewer tiddlydesktop backups

Captain Packers

Jun 26, 2018, 5:03:38 PM6/26/18
to TiddlyWiki
I just started looking at TiddlyDesktop on Ubuntu, but I don't like the number of backup files generated. I saw references to LessBackups plugin, but it doesn't seem to exist for TW5. Is there a way to turn off or limit the number of backups? I don't really need them at all as I'm saving to my synced google drive.

Thanks

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 26, 2018, 5:12:09 PM6/26/18
to TiddlyWiki
You can turn backups off in the latest release. You need to do it wiki by wiki as the default is on.

Captain Packers

Jun 27, 2018, 11:11:23 AM6/27/18
to TiddlyWiki
Didn't see that option until you told me it was available. Then I found it behind the "advanced" button.

Thanks. IMO this makes TiddlyDesktop much more usable. Otherwise I would have had to set up a cron job to delete backups!

Thanks.

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 27, 2018, 11:24:54 AM6/27/18
to TiddlyWiki
I totally agree. Infinite redundant backups are a PITA. I do kinda understand why TW got burdened with doing backups. But, frankly, I think it wastes a good programmers' time. Backup for me is a backup program that I can set as I need, not some half-way-there compromise I have to manage.

Alfonso Arciniega

Jul 1, 2018, 11:57:30 PM7/1/18
to TiddlyWiki
I leave the backups as they are. Then, at the end of a week (or at the beginning), I just run a free portable utility to delete all backups automatically. No big deal!

Cheers,

Alfonso Arciniega