TW5: Exporting/Print to File

Shaw McAllan

May 17, 2016, 11:44:44 AM5/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
Does anyone know of a quick way of getting individual tiddlers into a printable, portable format?

Background: my boss loves the wiki...but wants a paper version for the procedures she's responsible for each month.  I thought I could simply open the tiddler in a new window, choose "Print" and the "print to file"...but it's not that simple.  Our company uses WYSE terminals which, according to our I.T. dept, don't allow "Print to File" for anything other than .prn files.

Due to the wyse terminal setup, the wiki is running in the .hta mode rather than as an html file.

I tried exporting as html but Adobe wouldn't open it. I tried opening it in Word but the formatting went haywire - I'd be quicker copying/pasting from the wiki straight into Word and formatting from scratch than doing that again.  Exporting as a .tid doesn't help me either.

I need a simple process for getting the tiddlers into a presentable format for saving and printing.

Anyone any ideas?

Mark S.

May 17, 2016, 12:03:44 PM5/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
It's a little unclear whether you're talking a single tiddler or multple tiddlers.

For a single tiddler, you can try the export tool (from the tiddler's toolbar select export) in static.html mode. Save to a file somewhere. Then open in Word (I just tried this in MS Word 2013). The formatting looks pretty good on mine.

Good luck
Mark

prog...@assays.tv

May 17, 2016, 12:26:10 PM5/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
TOO many corporate limitations. Headache.

TW prints pretty nicely normally.

Can't they ease up?

Jed Carty

May 17, 2016, 2:47:45 PM5/17/16
to TiddlyWiki
I set things up to print to pdf from tiddlywiki for the resume builder edition, would that help or do you need an editable version?

Shaw McAllan

May 18, 2016, 11:40:32 AM5/18/16
to TiddlyWiki
It doesn't need to be edited, no, and it's individual tiddlers -- only the ones she feels the urge to hold in her hand at any given time, if I'm being honest-but-snarky. She just wants a paper version of what's on the screen (minus the side menus and buttons, etc.)

I'll have a look at your resume builder edition, @Jed, thanks.

Devin Weaver

May 18, 2016, 10:49:18 PM5/18/16
to TiddlyWiki
I do this with:

<$tiddler tiddler="MyTiddler">
<$button message="tm-open-window" class="tc-float-right">
{{$:/core/images/export-button}} open printable version
</$button>
</$tiddler>

{{MyTiddler}}

You can see it working at https://tritarget.org/#Resume

And the source on GitHub https://github.com/sukima/dev-tritarget-org/blob/master/tiddlers/Resume.tid

Shaw McAllan

May 19, 2016, 4:40:34 AM5/19/16
to TiddlyWiki
Oh, that's nice Devin, thanks.

Anyone know how I can modify the header or remove the footer when printing?   these wyse terminals don't give me access to turn them off in the browser :(