Donating to TiddlyWiki - Lets UPDATE

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 22, 2017, 5:36:50 PM6/22/17
to TiddlyWiki
I guess that so few people donate to TiddlyWiki that its last occurrence is located in past ages ... http://tiddlytools.github.io/fundraising.html

Would it not be better to have a more visually contemporary approach? And actually ASK for money occasionally?

Best wishes
Josiah

Danielo Rodríguez

Jun 23, 2017, 7:45:29 AM6/23/17
to TiddlyWiki

I donated to tiddlywiki a while ago (maybe a year) and I don't feel it helped in any way.
If we update the donate mechanism, I would like it to be:

  • More clear about to who are you donating to, or should donate to
  • I would like te see a clear connection between the official page of tiddlywiki and the donation mechanism. This means, mention about donation on tiddlywiki.com and/or the github repo
Regards

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 23, 2017, 8:05:11 AM6/23/17
to TiddlyWiki
I agree.

Mat

Jun 24, 2017, 3:12:27 PM6/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
I agree with Danielo. Clearer target for the donation. It is also easier to donate to specific projects rather than general well-being, so to say.

That said, I think it is good that the subject of donations is kept somewhat in the background when it comes to the official TW project.

Coincidentally, I made a small donation to TiddlySpot just a week ago.

<:-)

Lost Admin

Jun 26, 2017, 8:57:21 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 3:12:27 PM UTC-4, Mat wrote:

That said, I think it is good that the subject of donations is kept somewhat in the background when it comes to the official TW project.

I find it interesting you say that. While I agree with your sentiment, I find it odd that most open source projects down-play, or even hide easy ability/access to donate to the project. And even stranger the reaction to those that put donations up-front (Elementary OS got a lot of bad press for having a pay-what-you-want button in front of the download link).

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 26, 2017, 9:27:31 AM6/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
FWIW, I disagree with Mat on this:

Mat Wrote:
I think it is good that the subject of donations is kept somewhat in the background when it comes to the official TW project.

If they were any further back they'd not exist at all. :-)

Mat wrote:
... donate to specific projects.

That I agree with. Project targets & deadlines incline people to give more as its more clearly FOR something tangible. i know this from experience of having run a large charity funded project. We raised money quickly because we gave targets users were keen on, and deadlines.

LostAdmin:
 I find it odd that most open source projects down-play, or even hide easy ability/access to donate to the project.

There is a lot in that statement that rings true. There is a kind of odd culture around open source that seems to not want donation. I know in some cases that the revenue is so low its not worth the administration. In other cases, where its too upfront, a sense forms that you HAVE to donate that is off-putting.

The major issue I see is that some people do have money and if you don't ask, don't make plain the need (the project need), you won't get any.

Its worth a shot.

Best wishes
Josiah