NotoWritey - A proposed simple document editor for TW

Mark S.

May 24, 2020, 11:17:07 PM5/24/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Update 6/4/2020:

In a day or two, I plan to overwrite the plain notowritey with the notowritey-outliner version and continue development on that version.

I'm working on a simple editor for TW. It combines ideas from the Slicer edition plus the idea of object creation from TiddlyBlink to create a somewhat Dynalist-like experience (except no outlining yet). In Dynalist you seamlessly switch from display mode to edit mode by just clicking on the working text.

Has something like this already been done? Does this look useful? Or just more of the same?

Note: In the following, you should see screenshots. Sometimes GG likes to omit them ...

You start with your editor like this. The existing tiddlers are clickable text:

Clicking on a link opens up an editor where you can add more text

:

When you close the editor, paragraphs are split out into their own editable sections:

Behind the scenes, tiddlers are created based on the original (pre-split) tiddler name. Everything is held together by a common tag, which also provides the ordering.

TiddlyTweeter

May 25, 2020, 2:19:37 AM5/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
That looks very exciting!

Am I right in thinking the aim is be able, for instance, to throw in a text doc that on save is split to component sections (paras / blocks), all of which remain accessible for direct edit from the first "mother" tiddler in the exact original order? If so its incredibly useful.

Have I understood?

TT

Jon

May 25, 2020, 2:30:08 AM5/25/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I haven't used the text slicer edition enough to appreciate the differences, but I'd very much look forward to trying your version.

Regards
Jon

Mark S.

May 25, 2020, 7:32:38 PM5/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Here's the work in progress. I'm hoping someone will think it's
so amazing that they'll do all the hard work of making it work well ;-)

TiddlyTweeter

May 25, 2020, 8:51:10 PM5/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark, that is seriously brilliant! Tx!

I'll comment in more detail in a couple of days after I used it more.

TT

Saq Imtiaz

May 27, 2020, 2:25:39 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Mark S
I don't think it would be difficult to use this with the base code from my "outlined" demo. See:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/tiddlywiki/KeVDndcnY0g

I'll be posting the code sometime this week.

The difference in logic is that in your code the order and relationship using tags while I am using fields. That should not be difficult to adapt.

bimlas

May 27, 2020, 6:58:27 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
MarkS,

It’s an ingenious solution, but I see the same problem in it as in bullet list solutions: it makes searching cumbersome. For example, if I search for "create", only that paragraph will be included in the search results, so if I want to see the original tiddler, I have to search back by its name. I don’t know if it simplifies or complicates life.

One solution might be to store the original tiddler of the paragraph in a field and create a view template that displays a link to the original tiddler at the bottom of the paragraph tiddler. Although in this case, renaming the original tiddler breaks the connection because it does not rewrite it in every field. However, this problem also exists with the current operation: if I rename the "How To Use NotoWritey" tiddler in the demo, I can't retrieve the parent based on the title of the paragraphs because they still contain the original title.

I feel a growing need to be able to identify tiddlers by an always constant UUID in the TiddlyWiki core as well.

Mark S.

May 27, 2020, 10:26:11 AM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki

This seems to be like a question TT might ask, "What is a document?"

In this case, a document is a series of tiddlers chained together by a common tag. Once you have found a tiddler, you have also found the tag and can reconstruct the entire "document". It doesn't matter what the name of the original tiddler was when it was invoked, just like it doesn't matter that you don't have parchment in the printer when printing the Declaration of Independence.

To me it helps solve the problem of cognitive dissonance you have when editing a large document, and having to constantly match the preview or the displayed document versus the text you're actually working on.

That said, I'm thinking of putting an option on the bottom of the "document" to generate a tiddler with the complete text and maybe links back to the "document" tiddler. Another possibility would be to add a "document" search to the advanced search, but I don't see much use for that until someone has actually written multiple documents with NotoWritey.

Thanks!

Birthe C

May 27, 2020, 12:09:09 PM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S,

I used it for a couple of documents yesterday. I found it easy and fast to use. I think maybe we should use it for a while to see, what and if something is missing - and of course we are all anticipating to see Saq's file.

Birthe

springer

May 27, 2020, 1:17:45 PM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark, this is great for situations where we know we'll want fine-grained tiddlers down the road, but authoring and viewing want a more unified interface (with easy transitions between authoring and viewing).

One potential frustration came up while I checked out NotoWritey: if I'm reading/viewing without any intention to edit, and I click on a visible link such as Philosophy of Tiddlers, the link doesn't behave like a link; any click just sends us into edit mode.

Mark S.

May 27, 2020, 1:40:06 PM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 10:17:45 AM UTC-7, springer wrote:
Mark, this is great for situations where we know we'll want fine-grained tiddlers down the road, but authoring and viewing want a more unified interface (with easy transitions between authoring and viewing).

Yes. But I believe this provides easier transitions between authoring and viewing than the existing editor, where you are essentially either viewing everything or you are editing everything, and in between you easily lose your place.

One potential frustration came up while I checked out NotoWritey: if I'm reading/viewing without any intention to edit, and I click on a visible link such as Philosophy of Tiddlers, the link doesn't behave like a link; any click just sends us into edit mode.

Yes. If someone knows how to make a link work in the middle of a button, I'd be grateful for the help!

Thanks!

Saq Imtiaz

May 27, 2020, 2:04:38 PM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Mark using tag=div on the button should help.

It surfaces another issue, which is that trying to select text in view mode triggers the click (and editing). I have a couple of workarounds in mind, will investigate soon.

Saq Imtiaz

May 27, 2020, 2:05:32 PM5/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
The button widget is far more powerful than users realize.

You can use it to create any html element with an onclick handler that triggers actions.

Mark S.

May 28, 2020, 9:05:42 PM5/28/20
to TiddlyWiki

NotoWritey (everyone get the pun?) now has a new look. It looks almost like a regular displayed tiddler, filling the whole story river and only highlights when you mouse over the text. You can now navigate to other tiddlers. You can also navigate to external tiddlers, though unfortunately it will trigger the paragraph/section into edit mode because the TW link catcher doesn't catch external links.

TonyM

May 28, 2020, 10:02:11 PM5/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

This seems to be like a question TT might ask, "What is a document?"

In this case, a document is a series of tiddlers chained together by a common tag. Once you have found a tiddler, you have also found the tag and can reconstruct the entire "document". It doesn't matter what the name of the original tiddler was when it was invoked, just like it doesn't matter that you don't have parchment in the printer when printing the Declaration of Independence.

Actually this and many other possible ways to create "documents" in tiddlywiki are (a more generalized term I use ) compound tiddlers. Consider these possible compound tiddlers
  • A Tiddler containing every tiddler tagged with the current tiddler (as you suggested)
  • A Tiddler transcluding every with the current tiddler in their parent field
    • Sorted, according to a sortby list.
  • All tiddlers for which the current tiddler is their prefix. eg thistiddler/thatsubtiddler
  • All tiddlers according to a given filter.
  • All tiddlers included via tabs macro filter.
  • Shadows and Ghosts (my term, may raise later)
  • Tiddlers whose content is found in data tiddlers.
I am really keen to introduce more guidance to tiddlywiki for improved use, however I remain concerned that we allways allow the possibilities that exist already are not compromised. Not saying you are, the issue is making "small world" solutions at the same time we permit and encourage big world solutions.

Regards
Tony

TonyM

May 28, 2020, 10:04:18 PM5/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Saq,

This sounds very interesting. Can you please elaborate illustrate this?

Regards
Tony

Birthe C

May 28, 2020, 11:32:52 PM5/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S,
I do not get the pun.
Maybe distraction free writing, impossible reading? Text so small, for my eyes are very close to blurry lines.

Birthe

TonyM

May 29, 2020, 1:36:28 AM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

I find this is an interesting concept. One thought would be a minimal mode where the toolbar is optionaly displayed.

Your method is a nice way to excise automatically. I pasted the contents I copied out of HelloThere on tiddlywiki.com. Pasted them into a text field and closed. the result was good.

I also pasted 5 paragraphs of Lorum ipsum and presto 5 tiddlers great.

Some possible improvements
  • Make the Initial tiddler name default to currentTiddler - subtiddler?
  • Make the tag name default to currentTiddler?
  • I would be keen to see a view teplate way of creating such notes the above two suggestions should make this possible.
    • <<noto>> using defaults, delivered in viewtemplate if the tiddler is tagged noto
Nice work,
Inspiring
Tony

Jon

May 29, 2020, 1:37:28 AM5/29/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, nice one Mark!

Still haven't had time to delve into this yet

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 2:04:26 AM5/29/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mark S. wrote:

NotoWritey

Isn't that a well known film by Alfred Hitchbits?

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 2:46:00 AM5/29/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mark S. wrote:

NotoWritey (everyone get the pun?) now has a new look. It looks almost like a regular displayed tiddler, filling the whole story river and only highlights when you mouse over the text. You can now navigate to other tiddlers. You can also navigate to external tiddlers, though unfortunately it will trigger the paragraph/section into edit mode because the TW link catcher doesn't catch external links.

Ciao Mark

Its excellent. Its already improved how I edit in TW a lot. It increases my efficiency, for my writing style, no end.

I have a lot of things I want to ask about but I need to work a few more days to provide clear examples.

I can make a couple of three points now ...

1 - Accidental Splitting

It possible to split accidentally where you don't want to, for instance ...

<<<
"Fragmentally, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

--Down With The Wind
<<<

One needs to remember to put a blank space at the start of blank lines to prevent splitting. Its easy to overlook it.

My query: Any chance of ability option (bottom line of inline editor) for Join To Next?

2 - Saving "To" Options

Earlier you mentioned ..

That said, I'm thinking of putting an option on the bottom of the "document" to generate a tiddler with the complete text and maybe links back to the "document" tiddler

IMO that would be a very good idea. For several reasons ...

a -- it would allow consolidated "snapshots" to be taken (backup, draft versioning, sending someone a draft, finished document)

b -- it would allow you to take a "snapshot" of consolidated result and then Re-Split it so the numbering gets simple again (useful if you ended up a no longer human readable id numbers in the titles) I would personally would NOT want any meta data added (like links back). Why? Because I'm using this to develop "documents". The final result the consolidated text field data of all the tiddlers in under the NoteWriterly instance.

Note: text in red is redacted as its inaccurate & confusing.

3 - Save "To" HTML Rendered Version

As (2) but you output to a tiddler the render. Extremely useful for quick pasting into websites and many other purposes. For instance for self-contained "documents" like poems or manuals.

Hope this is clear! I'll write again in a bit.

Best, TT

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 5:41:55 AM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:

NotoWritey

FYI, anagrams ...

New riot toy

Wrote in toy

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 6:23:24 AM5/29/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mark S. wrote:

This seems to be like a question TT might ask, "What is a document?"

LOL. Quickly picking up on that point ... whilst the iron is hot.

I already changed my concepts of "Templates" in TW because of what NotoVictorious permits.

Take the case of writing an article about sea squirts ... Create a "wrapper" tiddler that gives base structure for the ARTICLE.
It might look something like  ...

<article class="tt-article-movement">
  <section class="head">
{{notoHeadSquirt}}
  </section>
  <section class="body">
{{notoBodySquirt}}
  </section>
  <section class="foot">
{{notoFootSquirt}}
  </section>
  <section class="style">
{{notoArticleStyle}}
  </section>
</article>

The transclusions are of Noto instances (each invoked by a different tag). Everything is editable, expandable without leaving the "article". At the same time with a simple document framework.

This way one might use CSS to show different controls (menu bar items) for different kinds of "documents".

I will try make an example to illustrate the point soon.

Main point is SOME extra controls don't need to be in Noto code. They could be created by thinking of "Document Templates".

Hope this is clear.

Early thoughts
TT

TonyM

May 29, 2020, 7:11:54 AM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
TT

This would work well as a view template.

I have started writing some structured material which has intro body and conclusion. A version of this would be nice.

An aside it is possible to create multiple text area fields on one tiddler you just can't edit them in the edit template fields editor. Do these could be stored in one tiddler.

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 7:32:00 AM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
For those on email please note a change to a previous post ...

b -- it would allow you to take a "snapshot" of consolidated result and then Re-Split it so the numbering gets simple again (useful if you ended up a no longer human readable id numbers in the titles) I would personally would NOT want any meta data added (like links back). Why? Because I'm using this to develop "documents". The final result the consolidated text field data of all the tiddlers in under the NoteWriterly instance.

Note: text in red is redacted as its inaccurate & confusing.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 7:39:50 AM5/29/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao TonyM

You are absolutely right that TW has the methodology already.

What is interesting is how Mark's innovation immediately enables a different kind of Gestalt-Of-Making to seem intuitively easy. Almost obvious now.

Telmiger was close to this a long time ago with "ListReveal" but it lacks the auto-divisioning or easy encapsulation in additional wrappers.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 8:50:20 AM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
bimlas wrote:

It’s an ingenious solution, but I see the same problem in it as in bullet list solutions: it makes searching cumbersome. For example, if I search for "create", only that paragraph will be included in the search results, so if I want to see the original tiddler, I have to search back by its name. I don’t know if it simplifies or complicates life.

Its a interesting question. In a way reflecting issues that came up in "What is a fragment?".

Mark's solution I think should be thought of in context of EDITING. The "fragment" size in edit may not directly correspond to the fragment size in SEMANTIC VIEWING / SEARCHING.

IMO we need differentiate TOOLS that users need to CREATE wiki from the NEEDED UTILITY for end users.

I think Mark's tool is fascinating. Currently its dominantly a FRAGMENT catalyst. But I think in time it will really aid answer "what is my semantic unit?" Once RE-composition is evident.

TT

Mark S.

May 29, 2020, 1:51:34 PM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Being somewhat visually challenged myself, I'm certainly sympathetic to concerns about vision. However, the text here is the same as any other tiddlywiki. It may be using a different font thanks to the Code Mirror I installed for working. You can delete that if you need to. And, of course, you can also zoom scroll to get a larger text.

Mark S.

May 29, 2020, 3:09:44 PM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 11:46:00 PM UTC-7, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Mark

1 - Accidental Splitting

It possible to split accidentally where you don't want to, for instance ...

<<<
"Fragmentally, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

--Down With The Wind
<<<

I'm thinking that the solution might be to give the user the opportunity to declare the (html) tag they want to use with a fragment. Whether there might be a gap between two fragments with the same coding might be an advanced consideration for later. This approach would mean that you would specify your text without the outer markup (e.g. <<<). This means that when you navigate to the individual tiddler, it wouldn't display the markup (though a template could be created to do that somewhere down the line).

The other approach, and probably simpler, would be to have a checkbox "Don't split" which would prevent the "Close" button from splitting up this particular tiddler. This might pose a problem if your enclosed text was large with many paragraphs, since you're then losing the benefit of NW.

Thoughts?

Birthe C

May 29, 2020, 3:19:35 PM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S,
Thank you for your very patient explanation. I think I found the reason in the tiddler Other Styles. Editing it certainly made it readable again as in the first version.
When I compared the font-size in the illustrations with the written text, I also saw that the size was smaller.

Your work on this is really appreciated. This is something I will be using a lot.

Birthe

TiddlyTweeter

May 29, 2020, 4:02:44 PM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki

TiddlyTweeter wrote:
[...]

I think the simpler solution to allow EDIT but turn off SPLIT would be fine. It would in no way defeat the purpose of NW. Let me give a real example ...

Use Case: Edit Tweets

I post tweets from TW. I often revise them. They already exist. NW gives me a way to edit them in bulk. Order is irrelevant. They are all multiply tagged. So let's say we have an instance of NW for tag #Crusoe. A typical tweet look like this for editing ...

Crusoe came to Crusoe to complain that Crusoe was complaining about Crusoe.

#Crusoe #complaint

They are plain text. They don't need splitting. Merely one place to edit them en mass. NW works just as well for that. In those cases "split" is actually neither needed or wanted.

TT

Thomas Elmiger

May 29, 2020, 5:03:41 PM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello TWilosophers,

Mark S. wrote:
This seems to be like a question TT might ask, "What is a document?"

LOL. Quickly picking up on that point ... whilst the iron is hot.

Me too :–D  After TT mentioned one of my older plugins "listreveal" I think I’ll have to clarify. Listreveal is a tool to efficiently reveal (as the name says) and edit (should I rename it?) tiddlers that can be listed (as in filtered). I would call this a collection of tiddlers but NOT a document per se. Of course I used it to create documents myself e.g. work reports or todo lists – documents about stuff that can be listed.

The similarity of NotoWritey and listreveal is that they live inside a tiddler. In my concept for documents on the other hand, I tried to optimize the reading experience by displaying the content of many tiddlers without displaying ANY (visible) tiddlers. And I found a TW concept simpler than displaying the content of many tiddlers inside another tiddler ...

Ultimately I came to the conclusion, that a story should be a document. So based on work from Jan I made a concept more than a year ago:
https://tid.li/tw5/test/concept.html – this has just been updated to TW 5.1.22 now, but has been work without progress for a long time, might have bugs and surely has an awful lack of documentation.

Jan had developed a tool to mange stories (in the meantime others might have done that too), which I adapted to my needs. The result is called StoryAdmin and maybe you could get a glimpse of my mental concept if you would read the readme at https://tid.li/tw5/test/concept.html#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2FJR-telmiger%2FStoryAdmin

I use tags to create a table of contents, but I use stories to save documents. This way, tiddlers in a wiki can be compiled (re-used) in many different documents. In my book example you can load the whole story (then the document is the book) or you can load one chapter (then the document is like a few pages copied from a book).

I hope you find this interesting.

Cheers,
Thomas

Mark S.

May 29, 2020, 8:43:00 PM5/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
I've made some updates! But haven't updated the docs.

  • You can now do <<noto>> inside a tiddler and it will attempt to default to using the current tiddler as the document tag.
  • New prompts for initialization, with some help to make the initial tiddler based on the current file name
  • A "no split" option
  • A delete button
Be sure to backup anything that's important, since the new stuff is barely tested and lots of internal changes had to happen.

Based on some of the comments, I think people may have the mistaken impression that NW uses tags for structuring. There is only one tag (and it's associated tiddler) per "document." So you won't pollute tag-space any faster than you add documents.

TonyM

May 30, 2020, 4:40:59 AM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

The auto split is great but no spit will allow us to choose when. I have cases where I expect fragments to be reusable. I think it would be interesting if we could apply a wiki text wrapper on each fragment. A quote fragment will possibly always be a quote, a code fragment always code. The advantage of fragments that are tiddlers is you can do all sorts of customizations on each.

I really like what you have done. Its inspirational. I can only suggest you may make a MVP but this could be much more mature concept for fragments or compound tiddlers in future essentially using you front end concept. The idea that fragments are made in line is wonderful, much better than excising.

If you can make it general in nature with perhaps the ability to toggle view and edit and to load the fragments in a way they respond to a class or template field in the fragment tiddler itself you are on to something revolutionary.

You could say with your fragmented or compound tiddlers that the tiddler is reasserting itself as the atomic unit.

The mind boggles
Tony

bimlas

May 30, 2020, 4:51:06 AM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
TonyM,

What if the breakpoint was defined by two blank lines instead of one? So you can easily indicate in the text itself which parts you want to leave together:

! Animals

* cat
* dog

! Colors

* red
* blue

Animals would belong to the first tiddler, Colors to the second.

TonyM

May 30, 2020, 5:05:00 AM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Bimlas

This would be wiki text for fragmenting in a way. Perhaps when typing not when pasting external content because you will first have check before pasting. Perhaps when auto split is off the author can add <spilt> and will, removing the split. Perhaps we could set the split condition on the document.

The next trick will be combining fragments.

Regards
Tony

bimlas

May 30, 2020, 5:13:40 AM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
As a matter of fact, the problem with this solution is that the essence of the plugin would be lost. Then we need to approach the problem from the other side:

For example, putting a space in an empty line would not cut the paragraph into pieces. However, this space must be deleted before saving the tiddler in order for the text to actually appear as two paragraphs. But if you delete it, the next time you edit it, there would actually be two paragraphs, so the plugin would want to split it.

That's not a good solution either ... I still have to think about something useful.

Mark S.

May 30, 2020, 4:57:37 PM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 5:43:00 PM UTC-7, Mark S. wrote:
  • You can now do <<noto>> inside a tiddler and it will attempt to default to using the current tiddler as the document tag.
  • New prompts for initialization, with some help to make the initial tiddler based on the current file name
  • A "no split" option
  • A delete button
Be sure to backup anything that's important, since the new stuff is barely tested and lots of internal changes had to happen.

More updates. You can now hide the edit toolbar if you want. There are buttons to save all-up HTML to clipboard or a specified tiddler, and corresponding buttons for wiki text. These new options are on the bottom of your document.

springer

May 30, 2020, 9:07:22 PM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Why not simply have noto refuse to split any paragraphs that would break any unresolved markup syntax? So

<<<
Three things I have trouble remembering...

1. When...

2. Why...

3. What was the question?

<<< —Somebody

would not get split up, nor would

@@float:right; If I don't try...
<hr>

I won'
t succeed.
@@

That would suffice for most of my use-cases; if things belong together as an assertion-like unit, I'm often "wrapping" them in some way or other... Also, it seems that whenever we *do* use markup syntax, we will get weird effects if the opening and closing markup end up in different tiddlers. So this would be a good default behavior.

-Springer

TonyM

May 30, 2020, 10:31:36 PM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Springer

Good idea but how?

do share

Tony

TonyM

May 30, 2020, 10:35:44 PM5/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

With auto split off could we have the convention that something like <hr> or <split> trigger a split but be removed from the result?

I would like to see this hybridised with saq's list innovation.

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

May 31, 2020, 7:04:26 AM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Quick note. Great! I'll update a couple of examples to fit the new &  post later.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

May 31, 2020, 7:40:07 AM5/31/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
springer

I think he's doing very Good. "\n\n+" is a primary marker in actual written WikiText. It is a fundamental separation unit.
Seems a very Good DEFAULT to split on after blanks.

BUT I'm sure Mark S. is aware you could split differently. SINCE blocks like this ARE an issue...

<<<
My Hamster went feral.

--Pet fallacy
<<<

A line START, After "\n\n" is "<<<". It is likely easy to find (simplifying slightly) regex = "\n{2,}<<<\n".

The ISSUE  I think is  any idea you need read blocks to do basic splitting. I don't think you do in WikiText. Merely regex for start of block

I think the issue is whether you looking to "Protect" blocks within a COMPLEX parser, OR could be happy with INCREMENTAL SPLITTING.

What do I mean? You use a SERIES of <<noto tag>> to reduce your WikiText to smaller fragments in order matched to use case. Rather than a blunderbuss complex code.

The point being only that START string should be enough most of the time in actual WikiText usage.

Ask if this is not clear.

I footnote this with being explicit I don't actually know Mark's intent.

Best wishes
TT

TiddlyTweeter

May 31, 2020, 7:53:13 AM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao bimlas

I want to underline the point you can use Mark's tool to simply edit Tiddlers en mass without ANY consequence of splitting at all.

In those cases, likely very common, actually, there would be NO issue on search of the type you describe.

Just a comment
TT

On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 12:58:27 UTC+2, bimlas wrote:
[...]

TiddlyTweeter

May 31, 2020, 8:18:38 AM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Briefly Thomas

TBH I did not mention your "Concept" wiki as I wasn't sure if it was public.

I think its very good.

Your version of a  Story Saver is, in a way, central. It is elegant. Useful.

The differences between Mark's approach to edit and yours in Concept is fascinating.

I think they are different but complimentary. It might be interesting to combine them?

Just thoughts
TT

TiddlyTweeter

May 31, 2020, 8:40:59 AM5/31/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Side Issue #A

Nothing to do with NW per se. But I got my fuddles in a furrow with Tag Tiddlers for a while.
I still find TW Taggery confusing. So you can tag 4000 Tiddlers but no tag tiddler with list field exists? Bit confusing.

I basically figured out how to manually populate the tag's list field when you import tagged tiddlers for testing.

Just a comment.

TonyM

May 31, 2020, 9:50:26 AM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
TT,

I am imaging you just drag an drop something to cause the list field to be created, then drag it back?

I have asked for a way to trigger this programaticaly. But not got it recognised as valuable.

Not sure why

Regards
Tony

Mark S.

May 31, 2020, 1:28:33 PM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
 In NW, every tiddler split into other tiddlers gets added to the list field of the main tag. Likewise, every tiddler deleted (via the interface) is removed from the list field of the main tag.

Mark S.

May 31, 2020, 1:39:03 PM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
I think if people want a detailed split, then they should use the slicer edition. The SE uses the sax.js library to break down things atomically. However, even it doesn't always get it right -- you see remainders of HTML tags in the sample split. The problem with the slicer edition is that the result isn't really portable -- it needs to be viewed inside the slicer edition, AFAIK.

My thinking now is to have 3 split options, probably from a dropdown menu: no split, split by \n\n, and split by self-defined category. So if you wanted to split by the horizontal markup ( ----\n) you could do that. Otherwise, there's probably an unlimited number of ways people could think to split things.

I'm also thinking of adding the ability to allow the user to join up the next X items. So you could join the next 3 paragraphs to the current tiddler, mark them as "no split", and just keep that as one "semantic unit.". Behind the scenes, the original paragraphs would be deleted.

Birthe C

May 31, 2020, 1:50:00 PM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S,

Yes please! I would very much like that.

Birthe

TonyM

May 31, 2020, 8:20:33 PM5/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

Looking great. Nice work. I am assuming here this will be very good for taking notes in class or a meeting because each note is effectively saved when you move to the next paragraph.

Thanks
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 1, 2020, 5:17:42 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Small Issue #3 -- Higlighting

Hover highlight don't work on type "text/plain" in a NW instance.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 1, 2020, 5:27:58 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
You know I have a mind.

The potential language of NW is interesting. Its pretty neat on "splitology".

Conceptually & pragmatically its a "fragment aware" editor.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 1, 2020, 5:43:54 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:
I think if people want a detailed split, then they should use the slicer edition. The SE uses the sax.js library to break down things atomically. However, even it doesn't always get it right -- you see remainders of HTML tags in the sample split. The problem with the slicer edition is that the result isn't really portable -- it needs to be viewed inside the slicer edition, AFAIK.

Fully agree. The Slicer is excellent if you don't want to look into the mechanics of HOW it does it.

I'm working from POV that I "already cleaned my input". I tried slicer but its not for me. Mainly because I already know how to prep a page for input.

Horses for courses?

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 1, 2020, 6:11:51 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Comment On Taggery #1

FYI I had to pre-populate the tag's list field manually to get it to co-operate for cases where I needed NW to recognise the tagged existed.

That is not A NW issue. Just a comment.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 1, 2020, 6:27:23 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:

I... 'm also thinking of adding the ability to allow the user to join up the next X items. So you could join the next 3 paragraphs to the current tiddler, mark them as "no split", and just keep that as one "semantic unit.". Behind the scenes, the original paragraphs would be deleted.

Great idea. In my case often just to next would help. But being able to go further would be ace.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 1, 2020, 6:54:07 AM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
Comment on Taggery #2

IMO using tags is excellent for NW in that they are easy, shown, are good for structure, user understandable, easily changeable.

The fact in TW we use tags both semantically & structurally is par for the course.

The upsides are good. Why would I need a value buried in a special field? Its not gonna perform any better and its harder to see.

My 2 cents.

TT

Mark S.

Jun 1, 2020, 1:55:03 PM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki

One of my intended goals is to bring outlining capability in some fashion to TW.

I think ... I hope ... I've got the logic working. Well, the logic for folding/hiding.

The screenshot below may not look very much like an outliner, but it shows the fundamental logic is working. Each item can have an outline level of 1 to 5 (arbitrary, but who looks at anything below 5?). The F checkbox means folded. Items with a lower number above them (where a lower number means higher in the outline tree) are hidden if the item above them is folded. The big clumsy unfold symbol means every thing below is folded/hidden.

Mark S.

Jun 1, 2020, 11:25:46 PM6/1/20
to TiddlyWiki

It's starting to look more outliney. The process of deciding changing behaviour by level leaves all sorts of paragraph breaks, which I haven't completely discovered how to deal with yet.

Mark S.

Jun 2, 2020, 9:39:08 PM6/2/20
to TiddlyWiki

Side by side, showing the outliner at work. I would like to get some other icons for the folding. Does anyone know of a source that doesn't require attribution? I could just use + and - .

TonyM

Jun 2, 2020, 10:12:07 PM6/2/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

Your original idea is of great value. I am wondering if you should complete it, a Minimum Viable and see of other methods can add the additional functionality you seek.

If your original idea was made into a custom view template in this example here;

This is only a friendly suggestion.

I am playing with a version of toc internal nav. This actually provides the outline, the following tools could quickly support the other features you are looking for.
  • The tag pills allow reordering
  • Its easy to expand an collapse the tree
  • We can reduce the complexity of the view template, perhaps even no toolbar

Snag_3cecda4f.png
Regards Tony

TonyM

Jun 2, 2020, 10:20:53 PM6/2/20
to TiddlyWiki
Post Script,

In this example note how I have an "optional toc" below the research tiddler. This could be changes to allow the content of a child tiddler or its title, to be dragged back into the tiddler it was split from.

What I am trying to say, your solution is so powerful it can stand on its own, then build the additional functionality over the top. This makes t simpler and allows components to be swapped in and out.

Imagine if I pasted text that was automatically spit into child tiddlers and they were listed in the left TOC, a little more design trickery could achieve a lot. Like not expanding the children if named in the current tiddler.

Snag_3cf366b4.png

TonyM

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 1:42:01 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Quick note on Icons

If you go "+" "-" there are a range of variants here: http://fa5-free-svg.tiddlyspot.com/. This is Morosaune's re-version of FA to TW-ready SVG format. They don't require attribution.

I had a look at what outliner tools use. They all use unfussy glyphs. There seem two main approaches ...

One uses  simple right pointing arrow heads for a top expandable level. A down arrow-head for expanded. Items below use list items ... I.e. number or bullet types depending on level.

The other approach the same but using "+" & "-" for main expandable levels.

Best wishes, TT

Thomas Elmiger

Jun 3, 2020, 2:01:00 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark

Please feel free to use the most simplicistic plus and minus icons from https://tid.li/tw5/apps/svg.html#Advanced%20Icon%20Editing (section "other images ...").
No attribution required.

Cheers,
Thomas

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 3:56:57 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:

There are buttons to save all-up HTML to clipboard or a specified tiddler, and corresponding buttons for wiki text. These new options are on the bottom of your document.

Those are great.

I already used the HTML saved version to produce directly postable output in websites and forums.

The only downside of the WikiText saved version is it can't respect Content Type. So if you have more than the standard content type in a Noto Doc its not always 100% accurate. I think its unavoidable?

I did tests seeing if I could re-split the WikiText saved version to replicate its mother Noto Doc. It works well when all CT are the standard content type,

After playing with it I highly recommend that there be added Option to Clone The Tag Tiddler (not used as a tag, just a snapshot of order) so you have a backup of the Noto Story Order. Why? Because several utilities could re-order the list field; because without the tag tiddler you could lose highly differentiated Noto needed order.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 4:20:42 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:

One of my intended goals is to bring outlining capability in some fashion to TW.

I think it would be invaluable. I can think of use cases where it would open up directions for me.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 4:38:42 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark

Performance Tests

Test 1 -- Noto instance that can edit 500 short plain text tiddlers (tweet length). Perfectly workable.

Test 2 -- Noto instance to slice plain text novel into about 4000 paragraphs. It did manage the slice, though I put the kettle on waiting. Its not really useable for live edit. But IT IS serviceable for initial "document" creation. This is not an NW issue per se but I think a more general issue with performance at scale of the list field? As as separate issue I might look at lessons of the e-pub version of TW as it uses dynamic loading well.

Side notes
TT

TonyM

Jun 3, 2020, 4:56:10 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Did you paste into the utility?

Perhaps first loading then processing would be better. Ie you are forcing a batch like operation into and interactive one. I expect there is another way.

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 5:02:50 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Actually TonyM the lapse on initial split is not an issue. It didn't fail. And I'd rather use one tool than two.

The problem, is the list field performance when its heavily populated?? After cut, refresh, its still same issue I think.

Best, TT

TonyM

Jun 3, 2020, 5:12:31 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
TT,

Understood.

I understand the desire for one tool. Perhaps mark could give us a button to split a tiddler using the same mechanism rather than pasting through the front end.

However if importing a lot of content, it may be better to divide the incoming material somehow, even if it is mashed together later for reading.

An example may be chapters.

Sometimes this fragmentation say into chapters actually maintains information about the source that would otherwise be lost.

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 5:28:44 AM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
TonyM, right, its a design thought. Yeah on a long novel you'd split to chapters first then Noto each separately if you were sensible.

TBH, I did not want to distract Mark S. from his thread so feel slightly bad posting that.

But I think the performance of list field may be relevant to larger "Noto Docs".

Best, TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 8:22:55 AM6/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Mark.S

I'm aware you at work on outlining. I just wanted record notes before I forget. No hurry at all.

Here is example usage for basic editing, where the "document" is basically the same in "edit" & "view". I wanted to give you a live example so you can see the issues I mention below. Its transcludes 4 Noto Instances ...

4 - Content Type Issue

On "split" the new tiddler does not honor Content Type of its progenitor.
That is problematic if, say, you splitting a large plain text tiddler as it will come out as the standard default type after spli.
Okay for one or two, not in a whole Noto Novel.

Would it be possible on split to replicate the CT of the split in the splitee?

 5 - Common Issues In Drafting #1: Cloning

A common issue in writing is you make a version of a paragraph but its not quite right so you make a copy and work on that.
Sometimes many times. Till you get a version that works. Then you delete the others.

Would it be possible to have a Clone Button on the bottom edit bar?

6 - Common Issues In Drafting #2: Bookmarks

Often when you are writing there are troublesome paragraphs you not sure how to fix.
For these you need to bookmark them and be able to visit then separately from the main text.
Especially if its large.

Could there ability to have a Bookmark Button on the bottom edit bar that
(a) adds a tag that is
(b) defined by user in config on per Noto Doc basis.

FYI the "WIP" section in my demo is a Noto to edit Bookmarked specific items from
the other Noto instances there (using a tag I created manually on each).

7 - Splitology Default: "Document" Variants

Often I will want use to use a Noto Instance with "Split" globally OFF as the norm.
Remembering to have to switch off one by one "split" would be prone to error.

Could split setting default be set in config section on a per Noto Instance basis?

8 - Noto Tag Removal

Say I'm using a Noto Instance to revise some tiddlers.
And I'm finished editing one of them. I no longer need it in the Noto Instance.

Could there be a DeNoto Button to remove the Noto tag from the Tiddler?

Okay. Those are my thoughts on using Noto for my use cases so far. I hope you don't feel swamped in requests :-(

Very best wishes
TT

Mark S. wrote:

More updates. You can now hide the edit toolbar if you want. There are buttons to save all-up HTML to clipboard or a specified tiddler, and corresponding buttons for wiki text. These new options are on the bottom of your document.

Mark S.

Jun 3, 2020, 1:42:26 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
After splitting into your 4000 pieces, how was performance for additional, normal splits?

If there's a serious split problem, then the question is, do we:

1. Advise people to stick with shorter documents
2. Use some other mechanism for ordering the tiddlers

A simple ordering system would be to have a field, "sortby". Then on the first split you would have

001.
002.
003.

and then an additional split at 002. might look like

001.
002.001
002.002
003.

and after 002.001. :

001.
002.001
002.001.001
002.001.002
002.002
003.

Obviously this field could get quite long.

The main reason I didn't pursue this path was because I was thinking about outlining. For outlining, it needs to be easy to traverse up and down (actually more "up") a chain of tiddlers. The list filter operators built into TW allow you to do that.

I'm assuming that the greater utility of an outliner/editor makes any performance hit worthwhile, but I guess it will be easier to judge that when I post the outlner tw.

I can post it now, but important pieces are unfinished. In particular, when you split, the new tiddlers aren't assigned a level and fold status, and so disappear. The interface isn't using standard icons. But if you want to have a peak:

Click on the "hamburg" to change levels. Click on the fold/unfold symbols to change fold status.

There's a tool tiddler for converting existing documents into outline documents (just adds level and fold fields).

Saq Imtiaz

Jun 3, 2020, 1:48:22 PM6/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
@Mark S:

I strongly suspect that any performance issues are not due to sorting/ordering but rather due to the rendering of so many tiddlers.
The dynaview plugin should be able to help you deal with that by not rendering anything that isn't in the viewport.

Mark S.

Jun 3, 2020, 2:11:33 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:22:55 AM UTC-7, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Mark.S

I'm aware you at work on outlining. I just wanted record notes before I forget. No hurry at all.

Here is example usage for basic editing, where the "document" is basically the same in "edit" & "view". I wanted to give you a live example so you can see the issues I mention below. Its transcludes 4 Noto Instances ...

Wow. That Crusoe seems like Dr. Who meets Godot. It's interesting that "Crusoe" didn't stick in literature, but we still have "Robinson" in "Lost in Space" 300 years later.

Those suggestions seem useful and doable. On #6, I'm not sure how you're thinking of revisiting. Perhaps show a condensed version of the document, with just the "bookmarked" items ?

Thanks!

Mark S.

Jun 3, 2020, 2:14:59 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 12:56:57 AM UTC-7, TiddlyTweeter wrote:

The only downside of the WikiText saved version is it can't respect Content Type. So if you have more than the standard content type in a Noto Doc its not always 100% accurate. I think its unavoidable?

What other content types are you thinking of ?

Thanks!

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 3:12:55 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Wednesday, 3 June 2020 20:11:33 UTC+2, Mark S. wrote:

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:22:55 AM UTC-7, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Ciao Mark.S

I'm aware you at work on outlining. I just wanted record notes before I forget. No hurry at all.

Here is example usage for basic editing, where the "document" is basically the same in "edit" & "view". I wanted to give you a live example so you can see the issues I mention below. Its transcludes 4 Noto Instances ...

Wow. That Crusoe seems like Dr. Who meets Godot. It's interesting that "Crusoe" didn't stick in literature, but we still have "Robinson" in "Lost in Space" 300 years later.

FWIW, Robinson Crusoe is one of the primary origins of the modern novel (self reflective discourse being primary). My #Crusoe is a long term experiment in modernist writing, much inspired by writer Gertrude Stein and my now dead partner Angela Weyersberg, a painter.

 I'm really appreciative of your "wow". I was not expecting it. I just uploaded real data as its easier.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 3:28:26 PM6/3/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mark S. wrote:

TiddlyTweeter wrote:

On #6, I'm not sure how you're thinking of revisiting. Perhaps show a condensed version of the document, with just the "bookmarked" items ?

I maybe was not clear. All I meant was "Enable user to add an additional defined tag on click of a button." HOW the user interfaces with those tagged items is up to them. I just used a Noto instance <<noto wip>>. Works well.

I just think being able to set a name for the tag in the config section would help.

I hope this is clearer!
TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 3:43:47 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Anything but the default (text/vnd.tiddlywiki) But my biggest issue is type "text/plain" as I use that a lot.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 3, 2020, 4:29:00 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S. wrote:
After splitting into your 4000 pieces, how was performance for additional, normal splits?

Bad.   S l o o o o w.

TBH if I did it again and the splitter were so equipped it could split on "^\s*CHAPTER" then it might work. There are 50 chapters so its about 80 paras per chapter.. Seems well workable.

If there's a serious split problem, then the question is, do we:

1. Advise people to stick with shorter documents

Yes.

But, long term we should maybe look at Dynaview (the e-pub version of TW uses it brilliantly) to see if it could help?

[...]

IMO the simplicity of your tag approach is right. Its working well.  Mega-huge novels I don't think is typical.

Maybe I need test a bit more, but what I experienced so far is perfectly workable.

I'm assuming that the greater utility of an outliner/editor makes any performance hit worthwhile, but I guess it will be easier to judge that when I post the outlner tw.

I can post it now, but important pieces are unfinished. In particular, when you split, the new tiddlers aren't assigned a level and fold status, and so disappear. The interface isn't using standard icons. But if you want to have a peak:

Click on the "hamburg" to change levels. Click on the fold/unfold symbols to change fold status.

There's a tool tiddler for converting existing documents into outline documents (just adds level and fold fields).

Thanks. I will take a look.

TT

Mark S.

Jun 3, 2020, 4:29:51 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Might require a case by case response. So for text/plain perhaps the text could be wrapped with """ quotes?

TonyM

Jun 3, 2020, 10:14:34 PM6/3/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

I hope this may advance noto a little more, please have a look at the attached, drop it on https://tidbits.wiki/noto/notowritey%20(15).html#

  • I have attached a quick json with two view template tiddlers, where one simple tags a tiddler noto rather than enter the `<<noto>>` Personally I like to keep the text field free to describe the outline itself.
  • The other uses a field to trigger the display of noto and uses the value as the tag.
  • In both cases we can make a button that either adds the tag, or creates the field with a click, turning ones average tiddler into a miracle of modern tiddlywiki.

Would you like me to make that button?.

Regards
Tony

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:17:07 PM UTC+10, Mark S. wrote:
[...]

noto-view.json

Mark S.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:10:37 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
In the 2nd case, would there be a dialogue for the user to enter the tag? Where would the button go?

Thanks!

Mark S.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:19:52 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Those are nice icons! I'm also borrowing the left/right chevrons and the hamburg menu which seems slightly different than the original TW menu icon.

Thanks!

Mark S.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:20:30 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
I'll have to look into that option once things are stable.

Thanks!

TonyM

Jun 4, 2020, 12:23:14 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

In the second case the field trigger, Your button in the view toolbar (possibly edit), would create the noto field and disappear. you could have a small view template option that becomes visible if the it sees the noto field with no value and prompt for a value (enter in temp tiddler) and a set button, again this will not appear anymore once the noto field has a value. The advantage is the new tag value could default to the current tiddler title as well.

So Click to activate noto
click to use current tiddler as tag (or modify)

Regards

Mark S.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:25:18 AM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki

Didn't get too much further, but did install Thomas' + and - icons, and changed
the "select" option to be controlled by indent left/right chevrons. The popup menu
is pretty barren, but in theory could eventually hold other controls (like move up/down).
I'm wondering if the popup menu would be a good place to add TT's suggested
bookmark button. That way you wouldn't have to edit the tiddler to bookmark it.

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 4, 2020, 12:39:48 PM6/4/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Mark S. wrote:
Might require a case by case response. So for text/plain perhaps the text could be wrapped with """ quotes?

Right. But not so sure its worth your time? Having WikiText will be fine much of the time as is. Good utility for most normal cases IMO?

Perhaps what is really needed, in addition to existing HTML & WikiText is ...

9 - Transclusion List (icing on cake)

A simple list of the transclusion "{{item 1}} {{item 2}} etc" in order could be used to quickly construct/reconstruct a "document" not dependent on Noto.
Not essential, but if simple to do, useful.

Could a sequence of transclusions be saved via button under NoteWritey Settings?

10 - Tag, List Field Copy

I mentioned this before (but not under a number :). It seems to me this is v. important.
Because tools exist that could wreak havoc in the Tag list field and IF you don't have a backup of its precise order one could get badly squidooed.

So, could there be a button under NoteWritey Settings to copy the Tag tiddler so one has a precise snapshot?

Maybe IF (9) is doable then all you need is ONE "Noto List Snapshot" with (a) a "list:" field for (10) and (b) a "transclusions:" field for (9). In one "Noto Backup" Tiddler?

Between these four you could construct/reconstruct anything.

Thoughts, TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 4, 2020, 12:48:50 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
For those on email I had to edit my last post as I got the numbering wrong. It makes no real difference to the substantive points.

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 4, 2020, 2:02:28 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
General point on Inter-Working. Because Noto uses Tag list field for its basics we have access to a LARGE number of tools that can be invoked to assist when needed.

I'm particularly experimenting using the excellent Search-And-Replace functions in Tiddler Commander as an adjudicative tool in helping with Noto Splitology.

I'm also playing with various ways of saving, sorting and manipulating the Tag list field to assist Noto

Side note
TT

Mark S.

Jun 4, 2020, 8:28:53 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Added a bookmark feature. There's also a "roadmap" tiddler which lists some of the features I hope to implement.

This is still on the notowritey-outliner.html page. But probably in the next day or two I'll move it all back to notowritey.html.

TonyM

Jun 4, 2020, 8:35:24 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

Could you update the lead post with the links to you working editions if possible, please.

thanks
tony

Mark S.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:23:02 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 5:35:24 PM UTC-7, TonyM wrote:
Mark,

Could you update the lead post with the links to you working editions if possible, please.

Update 6/4/2020 (including in OP):

In a day or two, I plan to overwrite the plain notowritey with the notowritey-outliner version and continue development on that version.

TonyM

Jun 4, 2020, 10:49:42 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark

I am playing with the outliner, Love it. I will provide more feedback as I go but wanted to say its looking great.

One Question. It is possible to make the subTiddler title generation a filter we can customise?
  • I would like to put the subtiddlers behind the system tiddlers name space $:/
  • Or when I have my tiddler serial number tool use that?
Thanks sooo much
Tony

TonyM

Jun 4, 2020, 10:56:14 PM6/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

I also adore you buttons below the noto writey to copy the combined wikitext of html, I would like to generalise the copy html buttons as a snapshot tool for regular tiddlers as well, could you please point me to the code and give me permissions to steal it?

notowritey, is it notoriously useful, or what?

Regards
tony

Mark S.

Jun 5, 2020, 10:31:59 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, Tony.

There's nothing too complex about the wikitext combo routine. There's a function:

\define compile-h()
<$list filter="[tag<tagname>]">
<$transclude mode=block/>
</$list>
\end

which gets called like this:

<$wikify text="""<<compile-h>>""" name="compiled" output="html">
<$button message="tm-copy-to-clipboard" param=<<compiled>> >
Copy HTML to clipboard
</$button>
</$wikify>

You can find the code towards the bottom of tiddler. "NotoWritey Macros"

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 7:56:14 PM UTC-7, TonyM wrote:

notowritey, is it notoriously useful, or what?

I guess we'll find out ;-)

Mark S.

Jun 5, 2020, 10:40:52 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki

I updated notowritey-outliner.html. You can now reset the tiddler being edited if you change your mind or need to start over. You can also save up to 5 copies of the current tiddler and label them as you need, kind of like a mini versioning system. That way if you have multiple versions of a tiddler you can work on it over a period of time without having to through everything away or saving it in a tiddler out of the document. Hopefully 5 will be enough for a working start. I was trying to come up with an approach that wouldn't require any playing with the main tag list field and where versions would travel with the document, so this is a bit of a compromise between complexity and workability.

Thanks!

TonyM

Jun 5, 2020, 10:44:38 PM6/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

Thanks so much for that. I realise now its using a feature of wikify I forgot, the output parameter.

In a reply here I mention noto as a layer to support images "In the future" https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/ipCEDNmrjJk/J8-GqTdMBQAJ

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 6, 2020, 5:50:16 AM6/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Small request ...

11 - Add Class To Div For NotoWritey Settings

Hopefully self explanatory.
In use would allow user to hide settings when they don't need to see them.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 6, 2020, 6:01:01 AM6/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Small thought ...

12 - "Link" In Bottom Bar Opens The Target Tiddler In Edit Mode

Given that using Noto in edit the user would be likely only interested in "Link" click
to edit a Tiddler would it not be better to just directly open it for edit?

TT
It is loading more messages.