Full Text Search Plugin 1.0.0

Rob Hoelz

Nov 29, 2017, 9:52:50 PM11/29/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi TiddlyWiki users,

A while back I announced the initial release of my full text search plugin - I'm pleased to announce that I've finished another round of work on it and am declaring the result 1.0.0!

This plugin provides a new search page that works off of a full text search index, which uses things like stemming (so that "tag", "tags", and "tagging" are treated the same) and stop words (so that words like "the", "an", etc are ignored).  Search results are ordered by how relevant each matching document is to the query, which you may find to be more accurate than the built-in search!

The new version includes a few improvements I've made as a developer - to the user, the big improvement is using Web Workers to build the index, resulting in a 10x speedup!  I also added an experimental feature called "query expansion", which allows you to tell the plugin to treat certain words as synonyms.  If this feature looks like it'll be useful in the future, I'll improve the code around it and add some user-friendly UI, as well as some usage documentation.

You can get the plugin here: https://hoelz.ro/files/fts.html#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fhoelzro%2Ffull-text-search

-Rob

PMario

Nov 30, 2017, 3:38:18 AM11/30/17
to TiddlyWiki
Looks nice!

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 3:52:50 AM UTC+1, Rob Hoelz wrote:
A while back I announced the initial release of my full text search plugin - I'm pleased to announce that I've finished another round of work on it and am declaring the result 1.0.0!

Your readme says: "This plugin should be considered as BETA quality - I use it pretty much every day, but there's definitely room for improvement. Please let me know if there are any bugs!"

but the version number says: 1.0.0 which isn't beta. ... at least for me.
TiddlyWiki uses semantic versioning. https://semver.org/

-mario

Pedruchini

Nov 30, 2017, 5:55:49 AM11/30/17
to TiddlyWiki

and stop words (so that words like "the", "an", etc are ignored).

Hi, Rob,
Newbie here. As I'm using TW in the french language, I'd like to have a different list of "ignored words" . Is that possible ? Which tiddler should I edit ?
Thanks in advance.

Rob Hoelz

Nov 30, 2017, 11:10:16 AM11/30/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ah, thanks for pointing that out - I forgot to change that bit of copy!  I'll update that shortly.

Rob Hoelz

Nov 30, 2017, 11:12:38 AM11/30/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi!  Unfortunately I only have English support at the moment - adding multi-language support was something I had planned but didn't get around to; stay tuned for a 1.1.0 announcement in the near future!

@TiddlyTweeter

Nov 30, 2017, 11:27:47 AM11/30/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Rob

Excellent.

Early questions ...

1 - WHY when I search for "TiddlyWiki" and press advanced search button do I get this embedded at the bottom of the screen? What is its significance?

2 - Could this plugin be expanded to embrace global Search AND Replace? I think we still lack SAFE search and replace beyond one Tiddler at a time. I think it would be very useful if it were possible.

Best wishes
Josiah
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Rob Hoelz

Nov 30, 2017, 1:35:57 PM11/30/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ah, those are the jasmine tests that I forgot to remove - they fail in the browser but not on the command line because Jasmine 1.3 doesn't support async stuff terribly well, and the plugin uses a lot of async stuff.  I'll remove the tests from the published HTML after work tonight. In the future, I intend to port them to something like Mocha.

Regarding search and replace, I would say that replace functionality is beyond the scope of what I'm trying to achieve with this plugin.  If, however, someone wrote a plugin that integreated with search filters like this and the default search to offer replace functionality, I would support such an effort.

-Rob

TonyM

Nov 30, 2017, 6:18:59 PM11/30/17
to TiddlyWiki
Josiah,

I would think the need for a Global search and replace is most likely to be rare and as a result of a mistake in the development/update of a TiddlyWiki, whist caution is advised you can open a tiddlywiki file in a good editor like NotePad++ and use all its text search and replace features. The only thing I suggest is always search first to confirm your search string does not have unexpected consequences. This is a true global search and replace.

Inside an active tiddlywiki a global search and replace is not that global, perhaps you mean search and replace in multiple standard tiddlers text?

I started a little exercise to list every word in a tiddler and compare each word against a set of values and apply a replace if necessary. this could then be used against multiple tiddlers. I have not yet got far on this.

Regards
Tony