[TWC]Self-hosting

Robert Edwards

Jan 2, 2018, 9:11:43 PM1/2/18
to TiddlyWiki
(Sorry for posting in the "wrong" group but there's a lot more traffic here, as well as a lot of TWC expertise!)

I'd like to self-host the TWC-based dGSD that I've been using for years. I previously used Jeremy's TiddlyWiki in the Sky but that went away with DropBox's api change. David Szego's TW5-based Cardo isn't clicking with me and my dGSD has a lot of info that would be painful to move over into a cardo. Arlen's TWITS5 port is close but I can't save (it fails with the error "You need to save this TiddlyWiki to a file before you can save changes").

So what I'm trying to do is more or less replicate the functionality of classic TWITS but do so securely on my own server, in my own house. I need to be able to access it from a laptop or mobile, either on my own home network or remotely by VPNing into my network when I'm on the road. I've got a dedicated RPi that's already running my VPN endpoint that I foresee serving the file.

I've searched for solutions and found several apparent possibilities (e.g. TiddlyServer), but it's not clear if they are indeed actual solutions (i.e. will they fulfill my need) and which would be most appropriate. Also, there's been quite a bit of link rot and archive.org doesn't have many of the dead links archived.

I'm sure someone must have experience doing something similar -- anyone have any suggestions you'd like to share?

Thanks!

Arlen Beiler

Jan 5, 2018, 7:35:22 AM1/5/18
to TiddlyWiki
Just thought I would mention that there are two links now, which use two different mechanisms.

https://twcloud.github.io/dropbox/ - TW5 and possibly TWC

Try both if you are working with TiddlyWiki5. They each use different methods, but the second link is newer and has more features. It is more likely to work, unless you have a really old TW5 file. TWC support is spotty, but should work for the latest versions.

Hope that helps,
Arlen

Robert Edwards

Jan 5, 2018, 8:06:40 AM1/5/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks! But it still tells me I must save it before I can save it.....

You may have hit on something -- my TWC is based on an older core version of TW. When I first began using it I attempted to update it but ran into compatibility issues with some of its plugins. Perhaps it's time I revisit trying to update it.

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Robert Edwards <rced...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Birthe C

Jan 5, 2018, 10:58:32 AM1/5/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Arlen,

I am a happy user of https://twcloud.github.io/dropbox/ but it does not save my TWclassic version 2.81. I do get the message, that it is saved, but at the same time I see a file with a strange name and the message network error. It is happening with all my TWclassics.

Birthe

Robert Edwards

Jan 16, 2018, 6:49:20 PM1/16/18
to TiddlyWiki
I got busy with other things but finally got back to trying this. I have updated my twc to core version 290b3. Saving now seems to work on chrome on macos and windows 7. It does not work on FF on either os -- it wants me to download the new file. The same occurs on safari on macos and ios (once I forced allowing editing). Based on the desktop results I had high hopes for chrome on ios but so far all I've been able to get is the "Reading HTML file" popup then it appears to hang. It never proceeds farther and I never get my TW. I wish I knew how to debug the DB api and get some visibility into what it's doing....

Thanks!

Robert Edwards

Feb 1, 2018, 7:26:18 AM2/1/18
to TiddlyWiki
Replying to myself so that if anyone else comes along and looking at this later there will be breadcrumbs.

So far I'm having (mostly) success with MicroTiddlyServer -- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywikiclassic/Eb48yQBof5c

I still need to tweak a few settings to my liking but I'm able to access, edit & save my TWC from any device within my home network, and by VPNing into my network I'm also able to do the same from outside.

Thanks!

David Szego

Jan 7, 2019, 10:04:31 PM1/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Rob, I'm also the author of dGSD - I'd love to know what's not clicking for you with Cardo, is it something Cardo-specific, or TW5 in general? Is it the need for an import routine for dGSD Tiddlers?

Cheers,
David.

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 21:11:43 UTC-5, Rob wrote:

... David Szego's TW5-based Cardo isn't clicking with me and my dGSD has a lot of info that would be painful to move over into a cardo. ...

Rob

Jan 13, 2019, 5:25:33 PM1/13/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,
First off, thank you so much for all the work you've done both with Cardo, and with dGSD before that.

It's all the above. Fundamentally I have never developed a feel for TW5. I have no problem getting under the hood of TWC and tweaking, adding, modifying, etc. I've tried TW5 and have not developed that level of competence. For a while I would try but eventually always ended up going back to my already-working, tuned-to-my-workflow TWCs (plural). Part of that was due to the general lack of documentation that was available when I was trying to migrate, back when TW5 was just becoming usable. Not to say that I do not tremendously appreciate what Jeremy and everyone else has done to build and develop the core TW5, but I have not warmed to it.

For me then, that puts Cardo at a bit of disadvantage from the start. Over the years I have developed my workflow around dGSD, and conversely modified my dGSD to suite my workflow. Both have evolved in concert to where they have converged to something that works well for me. Cardo is different enough to introduce a bunch of little hickups that it feels awkward and unfamiliar to me. Couple that with my ineptitude of tweaking TW5 and I feel a little frustrated and hamstrung. As long as I have a tool that's working well, it's hard to abandon it and adopt another. And in the transition period, until I felt confident that Cardo was working for me, I'd need to maintain two tools in parallel. That just adds another layer of complexity.

And finally, even if I did feel comfortable in TW5 & Cardo, it would still be quite a task to populate a new Cardo with all my dGSD tiddlers without an automated migration tool. Building it all back by hand would be very painful.

So once again, thanks! I hope this helps explain. I'm not saying Cardo is not a great tool. But (so far) it just hasn't worked for me as well as dGSD has. And I freely acknowledge that that's just one person's opinion, nothing more. One day when I'm feeling froggy I may give it another go.

Cheers!
Rob

David Szego

Jan 14, 2019, 10:16:17 PM1/14/19
to TiddlyWiki

Hi Rob, thanks for writing. Two thoughts come to mind right off the bat -

First, if you have a good tool, keep using it! I'm glad to hear you still make good use of dGSD!!

Secondly, I completely get it when you describe your unfamiliarity with TW5. It took me a good year before I got the gumption to tackle it's new macros, filters, widgets and behaviours at all, and months after that before I decided to start porting dGSD to TW5.
However, once I did, I really enjoyed the elegance of it... as much as <<variables>> $(still)$ $completely$ [<screw>] '''me up''' {{!!endlessly}}!!!

I would be very interested in hearing detail about your dGSD workflow, what modifications you've made, and what aspects of Cardo you've found trip you up a bit. This would really help me make Cardo that much more useful, by understanding how people use such a tool.

As for migrating from one to the other... someone did write a script here, and it's not really that complex. I should just get off my tush and create a macro that does this. (I'll put it on the endless list - there's a reason why I've been putting out a release only about once a year!)

Cheers,
David.