TiddlyWorldBuilder

Darth Mole

May 27, 2021, 1:11:45 AM5/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hello All,

So this is still a work in progress but wanted to thank the community for all their help up to this point by showing you all what I've put together.

TiddlyWorldBuilder currently combines..
  • The linking capabilities/concepts of Stroll (https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/stories.html) minus the two column view (replaced by Mentat floating Tiddlers below).
  • The concept maps thought process/features by TiddlyMap (http://tiddlymap.org/).
  • The Tiddler presentation capabilities of Mentat (https://thesherwood.github.io/Mentat/) minus the Engine plugin (disabled it) that was used to create the HUD in Mentat as that was breaking functionality.
  • An adjusted Tabs area by modifying the underlying Core tiddlers, their tags, and fields.
    • All removed tabs were moved to beneath the "More" tab.
    • Added a "Temps" (for Template until I get an icon) tab with links that will create new Tiddlers based on content templates. (I have created three of the four templates listed but don't have them in this particular Tiddly file yet.)

Current Caveats
  • Need to have a Story Window (from Mentat) open before creating a new Tiddler or else it will throw an error.
  • For some reason when the Mentat Story Visualization is turned on, which it needs to be in order to have the floating Tiddlers, you have to Right click in some fields in order to put the focus in them to edit them in New and Existing Tiddlers.

Just to clarify; I haven't built any plugins or modified any of the existing plugins. I've just been piecing certain things together to create a solution for a need. I included the links to the various projects to ensure proper credit is given :)

Hopefully by doing all the above and calling the solution a particular name I didn't break any rules or take part in a taboo. If I did, I apologize!

Would love feedback as well!
tiddlyworldbuilder.html

Ste

May 27, 2021, 1:56:33 PM5/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Looking good. I'll try and have a play on a big screen tomorrow. Buttons/scrolls don't seem to work on mobile!

Darth Mole

May 27, 2021, 4:15:50 PM5/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hello and thank you for the follow-up and for trying it out!

I'm attaching an updated file with the templates so the buttons should work now.

I tested the Tiddly on my phone using Tiddloid and parts of it responded but it is definitely a good idea to switch the Story Visualization mode to Classic as the Mentat mode doesn't allow the buttons (Trash, Close, Save, etc) to work for some reason.

However the TiddlyMap plugin doesn't work on mobile sadly (at least it gives a warning saying so though).

I would say that this TiddlyWiki can really only be used to its fullest potential via a desktop or laptop, though I'll test it with an iPad Pro and iPad Mini later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again!

tiddlyworldbuilder.html

Saq Imtiaz

May 27, 2021, 4:37:54 PM5/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Just a heads up that the file at  https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/stories.html is horribly out of date and not the official link for Stroll.  Instead I believe you want: https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html

Darth Mole

May 27, 2021, 10:36:43 PM5/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you very much! I didn't realize there were two different "projects" for Stroll. I'll have to go back and piece together TiddlyWorldBuilder with the updated files soon. Thanks again!

arun babu

May 27, 2021, 10:52:06 PM5/27/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

If you open the tiddlymap in story river as told in this Reddit thread, it might work in mobile also

Darth Mole

May 27, 2021, 11:11:30 PM5/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you very much! Appreciate it!

Darth Mole

May 27, 2021, 11:27:24 PM5/27/21
to TiddlyWiki
Unfortunately it looks like Volant (at least) doesn't play well with the most up-to-date TiddlyWiki. For whatever reason that plugin breaks the edit/new tiddler so that bottom fields can't be utilized and you can't dismiss, delete or save the Tiddler.

I'm still new to the inner workings of TiddlyWiki, though I'm familiar with HTML and CSS so perhaps I can find a way to fix the plugin.

Unfortunately that means we have hit a small dead end for the time being. I'll still keep updates coming though.

Thanks again everyone!

strikke...@gmail.com

May 28, 2021, 4:46:49 AM5/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
I also realised the problem with volant as I tried to use http://j.d.volantis.tiddlyspot.com/, Looking at the plugin I see $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate and $:/core/ui/EditTemplate. I think the problem could be changes to those templates in the core in later releases of TW?

Birthe

Saq Imtiaz

May 28, 2021, 5:41:13 AM5/28/21
to TiddlyWiki

Darth Mole

May 28, 2021, 12:32:06 PM5/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
I know when I compared the two EditTemplate files between the current TiddlyWiki and the one they used in the Mentat demo they were vastly different. The new one has a bunch of new code. What I don't know is if the one in the Mentar demo is just heavily modified or if that is how it used to be. Either way though I don't understand why the volant wrapper is placed where it is in the demo so that was throwing me off.

Darth Mole

May 28, 2021, 2:36:07 PM5/28/21
to TiddlyWiki
Ok... so I'm not sure what is going on but I think I got it all working... At least regarding the issue with editing some of the fields and saving/deleting/editing Tiddlers, and also having the most recent versions of all the plugins (I think). I still need to go back and change up the Tabs and also add the Templates but below are the details of so far.

  • Started with the most recent TiddlyWiki file.
    • All was fine of course.
  • Imported Repopup and Volant plugins.
    • Started having the edit issues regarding the field type fields and saving/deleting new Tiddlers.
  • Updated the core/ui/EditTemplate and core/ui/ViewTemplate files that were included in the Volant plugin with the new code from the current TiddlyWiki. I also included the Volant wrapper where I thought it went in the new code.
    • Same issue regarding editing/saving/deleting.
  • Installed the Mentat plugin.
    • Produced an error when trying to turn on the Mentat Story Visualization option. Still had the previous edit/delete/save and field issues.
  • Installed the Engine plugin (but turned off the presentation option (red button that appears in the lower left), manually created the $windowTiddler$ template, opened it in regular story view, then turned on Mentat Story Visualization.
    • No longer produced an error when turning on the Mentat Story Visualization option and could add Tiddlers to the floating windows, however, I still had the editing/saving/deleting and field issues as before. I could only get them working when I right clicked.
  • Messed with the EditTemplate and ViewTemplates again.
    • Didn't get any results
  • Went back to how Templates were before messing around.
  • Installed the 4 plug-ins from http://tiddlymap.org/ and did the initial setup.
    • Same behavior as before, nothing additional broke.
  • Installed the giffmex/blinks and giffmex/bigeditarea from https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html
    • Noticed that the editing/saving/deleting and field type issues suddenly disappeared and it was acting like normal. Nothing else was broken.
  • Installed links-to-tabs plugin from https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/link-to-tabs/
    • Everything still working the same, now including the links-to-tabs function
  • Disabled Engine plugin.
    • Original error produced before first installing Engine still doesn't appear even after the plugin is disabled.
I have opened and closed the file several times, refreshed it, and have tried it locally in a browser and then in TiddlyDesktop and so far the functionality is remaining the same and seems to be working. From my perspective whatever changes were made when I imported the Stroll files is what fixed it. Unless there was some weird caching issue from when I changed the templates. I really have no clue. Attaching the file for review.

Current/Remaining Caveats
    • Need to have a Story Window (from Mentat) open before creating a new Tiddler or else it will throw an error.
    • TiddlyMaps still won't work in mobile, though I haven't had time to mess with the options/Tiddler solutions that arunn linked to above.
    • For some reason the Story Window counter went up to 7 before it started resetting itself when they were closed. As such it goes from Window 1 to 7, and then goes up by 1.

    TiddlyWorldBuilder-6.html

    Darth Mole

    May 28, 2021, 2:56:55 PM5/28/21
    to TiddlyWiki
    Switching the theme, even if you go back to the original one, kills the functionality and creates the same issue as before. I did this all with Vanilla Basic Theme turned on. When I switched to Snow White it broke the fields again and then when I switched back it still wasn't working. I had to re-download the file from here since TiddlyDesktop saved it automatically.

    Mark Krieg

    Apr 13, 2022, 8:19:32 AM4/13/22
    to TiddlyWiki
    Thank you so very much for your efforts with TiddlyWorldBuilder!!!  This is a dream come true for me! The best of Stroll blended with Mentat!!!  If I had the time and the programming chops, I'd dive right in to help bring it up to the 5.2 code. Unfortunately my programmer days have long past and the languages I used to use are largely extinct. But I hope you continue your development with with TiddlyWorldBuilder! Simply brilliant!!!