Quinoid v0.0.8alpha Downloadable, Configurable Resources

Mark S.

Mar 12, 2019, 7:12:40 PM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki

This version adds a menu item "Resources" that activates an activity page from whence a user can select a variety of existing resources (TW files) to download.
The activity page is, in turn, driven by a configurable file, allowing advanced users to share their own curated selection of TW sites. Please see the Readme.

The referenced resources include Todo Now, Expense Tracker, Quinoid Readme, and Empty Editions.

As always, consider this highly alpha. I was kind of worn out, and testing was very light.

Thanks!
-- Mark

TonyM

Mar 12, 2019, 8:15:39 PM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

Installed on my android 7.0. I had to uninstall the previous version first, and manualy add the storage permission. I am not so sure now how to add location permissions.

I can only see "Find TW File" Browses storage,  and "Unassigned Key" - does nothing, in the menu
I no longer seem able to select html files even if I can find them in "Find TW File"

As a Result I can't test any further.

Regards
Tony

Mark S.

Mar 12, 2019, 9:20:59 PM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

I appreciate your feedback!

Did it force you to install a new version?

I used a different machine, but (I thought) the usual key to do the release. Just in case I messed up, I've just put a new release generated with the original machine. But if everyone reports they "have" to uninstall/install, then I'll know something else is going on.

Does it ask you for location permission? I haven't changed anything re geo since the last update, where I tried to add some generic location permissions. It's something else I need to research.

What is unassigned key?

Which method are you using to look for files? The "+" button, or the menu? I think the latter. For the latter, on vsn 7, your files probably need to be in a public space, either the downloads directory, or the documents directory. For using the "+" button, you should be able to navigate to "sourced" files such as pinned files provided by Google Drive.

Can you test the new "Resources" option from the menu? It should allow you to download a file of your choice to somewhere public on your machine. The path should be something like .../Documents/TwFiles/ where the ... will depend on your machine. Once you have downloaded a file, you should (I think) be able to use the "Find files" to find and add the downloaded file (except it should already be in your list, but it's the principle I'm concerned with).

Thanks!
-- Mark

TonyM

Mar 12, 2019, 10:08:02 PM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark, Comments in line

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 12:20:59 PM UTC+11, Mark S. wrote:
Hi Tony,

I appreciate your feedback!

And I your work

Did it force you to install a new version?

I could not do my normal click on release and install over. I had to remove and install fresh

I used a different machine, but (I thought) the usual key to do the release. Just in case I messed up, I've just put a new release generated with the original machine. But if everyone reports they "have" to uninstall/install, then I'll know something else is going on.
 Once again installing from the apk I was questioend about update, proceeding I got the Message
App not installed
The package conflicts with an existing package by the same name.

Settings  > Apps > Quinoid > Uninstall
App Installed 190312b
Unfortunately Quinoid has stopped, Open again, App keeps stopping
After a little while I added the permissions manually, storage and Location were in the list.
Opened Quinoid and it seems to be working

Regards
Tony

Does it ask you for location permission? I haven't changed anything re geo since the last update, where I tried to add some generic location permissions. It's something else I need to research.

No it does not. I was used to adding this myself.

What is unassigned key?
When the app was running (not currently) It was a button in the Quinoid list, No + Button was present at the top

Which method are you using to look for files? The "+" button, or the menu? I think the latter. For the latter, on vsn 7, your files probably need to be in a public space, either the downloads directory, or the documents directory. For using the "+" button, you should be able to navigate to "sourced" files such as pinned files provided by Google Drive.
I had no + Menu, only  "Find TW File" button

Can you test the new "Resources" option from the menu? It should allow you to download a file of your choice to somewhere public on your machine. The path should be something like .../Documents/TwFiles/ where the ... will depend on your machine. Once you have downloaded a file, you should (I think) be able to use the "Find files" to find and add the downloaded file (except it should already be in your list, but it's the principle I'm concerned with).
No Resources option

Thanks!
-- Mark
You are welcome.

Sorry to present such broad bugs on V7 android.

I updated Quinoid on My Android 8.0 and It all updated correctly, the resources work, but since there was no feedback I did install todo now twice by mistake.

Regards
Tony

Mark S.

Mar 12, 2019, 10:41:18 PM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 7:08:02 PM UTC-7, TonyM wrote:
Settings  > Apps > Quinoid > Uninstall
App Installed 190312b

The "b" version matches (I think) the original version you first had on your machine, but not the "a" version you installed earlier today. Something about the key selection is different between a and b. Something I need to figure out. For most people (I think) the "b" should match what they have on their machine.

What is unassigned key?
When the app was running (not currently) It was a button in the Quinoid list, No + Button was present at the top
I had no + Menu, only  "Find TW File" button

 There's no + button on the top of your list page? I can't imagine how that could happen. Is it possible to take a screenshot?
Different machines have different gestures for screenshots. I think it's usually a palm swipe.

I updated Quinoid on My Android 8.0 and It all updated correctly, the resources work, but since there was no feedback I did install todo now twice by mistake.

Yes. I need to add some feedback (probably a quick pop-up message) to that process.

Thanks!
-- Mark

Mohammad

Mar 12, 2019, 11:50:02 PM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Android 9

Uninstall previous version. Install new v-0-0-8a
Open the app

Small white widow appears

Quinoid keeps stopping

App info
Close app

NOT working!

--Mohammad

Mohammad

Mar 12, 2019, 11:53:39 PM3/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Further input

-Open app information
-Manually add permission to storage

-Open the app
now it is WORKING!

--Mohammad

Watt

Mar 13, 2019, 3:35:57 AM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark - successful here, Android 7.
Allowed install from unknown sources.
Installed over the top of existing Quinoid. Message 'do you want to update an existing package?' - yes.
Storage and location permissions were still on from previous version.

Opened fine with my file list still there.
Wikis seem to be working as before.

Went to 3 dots>Resources and added them all. All downloaded and were added to the list. All opened ok.

Checked the TWfiles folder and all there, including the json file.

Edited the json file with this line,

{"id":"https:\/\/tiddlywiki.com\/prerelease\/empty.html","title":"Empty (PRE Release)","description":"An empty edition of the PRE-release from the TiddlyWiki site.","filestem":"empty"},

Reloaded Quinoid but the prerelease isn't listed in Resources. The others still are. That's the only thing that's tripped me up so far, so will try again, otherwise 100% success!

'Shares' still working well too.

Hope this helps, thanks a lot for this great app.

Watt

Mar 13, 2019, 4:50:00 AM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

I got the json edit to work.

Some feedback;
Closing Quinoid via the '3 dots menu > exit' and then reopening it doesn't refresh the file list or the Resources (json) list for me.

Closing Quinoid via the Android method, using Home button, then clear recent apps and then reopen Quinoid does refresh both wiki list and Resources list.

I used this line for the json prerelease edit;

{"id":"https:\/\/tiddlywiki.com\/prerelease\/empty","title":"Pre (PRE Release)","description":"An empty edition of the PRE-release from the TiddlyWiki site.","filestem":"prerelease"}

Success!

I now notice that I must have tapped on 'Help' 3 times and downloaded 3 copies of the Help file, all of which appear in the file list after the full refresh. I do need help but it seems duplicate resource downloads all appear with the same names in Quinoid's list and only have the timestamp to differentiate them in the TWfiles folder. Confusion might reign! Maybe something to add to your 'complications' list?

Anyway, it now works perfectly for me and keeps getting better. Big thanks.

JD

Mar 13, 2019, 5:05:53 AM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,

Reporting that this installed perfectly for me, without the need to set permissions nor needing to uninstall the previous version. Android 8.0.0 Nexus6P

And thanks again for your amazing app!

-jd

Subi 54

Mar 13, 2019, 7:21:42 AM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
On 8.1.0, new install kept giving `Quinoid keeps stopping`.

Mohammad

Mar 13, 2019, 8:25:36 AM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Subi 54,
 Open the app info and grant the storage permission!

--Mohammad

Subi 54

Mar 13, 2019, 8:37:36 AM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, it worked.

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 13, 2019, 3:36:06 PM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark

Very, very good work. Kudos.

Android 8. "b" version apk.

Seamless overwrite install.

Only fly in the ointment in on this  on Resources ...

.Screenshot_20190313-202239_2.png

I get no indication on click it worked (which it did) so ended up with 3 versions of JD.

Best wishes & thanks
Josiah

Mark S.

Mar 13, 2019, 4:47:48 PM3/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Yeah, I get that a lot ...

I've just uploaded quinoid-v0-0-8-190313a.apk to the release. This (hopefully) makes permissions handling better and will avoid the "I can't install" messages. Hopefully. It also adds a brief little message after you click on a resource to download so that you have some clue what's happening.

Onward,

-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 7:34:55 AM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark S.

I tried adding a Resource to bring in one of my own wiki. It worked well.

That feature is extremely useful!

The only issue was editing JSON accurately on a tiny screen. So I just used an Android JSON editor which made it a breeze.

Many thanks
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 8:16:49 AM3/14/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Mark S.

Regarding the Clip function (using "b" apk) ... I tested as follows ...

1 -- With both Quinoid  and Chrome "open" -- i.e. both started--though one is hidden when you use the other one.

2 -- With Q. closed. Chrome clip and close. Open Q.

Both scenarios worked for me. The clip is there.

Multiple clips in one session in a browser are added to one tiddler.
That is great on sites like YouTube where just clicking "Share" will add addresses of videos,one per line.

However, I only ever get ONE Q. clip in the Capture wiki. If I do a second "clip session" it overwrites the first?
Or am I misunderstanding something?

UPDATE: Stupid me! I overlooked that putting a clip into your Capture TW does not save it. You need to explicitly click Save!

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 8:59:39 AM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
For email users .... I updated my last post concerning Clipping in Quinoid.

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 10:05:32 AM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S.

This is just an FYI from Andy 8.0.0 on a Motorola something. No need to respond.

I did Housekeeping to remove loads of test wiki and clean-up... and clean reinstall.

That illustrates that pathing is taken over on Android now.

1 -- Uninstalled Quinoid --- NOTE this deleted all the TW in "TwFiles" but not the JSON of settings nor the folder.

2 -- Deleted "TwFiles" folder including the JSON.

3 -- Deleted other test wiki all over the directory shop I'd messed with.

4 -- Tried to install (on Andy 8) 313a apk. Installed. But Resources were EMPTY.

5 -- Uninstall 313a fully. Install 312b. Installed as expected. Resources are there.

FYI the install directory for auto wiki is INTERNAL storage in "Documents/TwFiles" (/storage/emulated/0/Documents/TwFiles) on my thingie.
Appropriate and well workable. I have NO idea how they get there rather than anywhere else. I'm content though.

I just thought you might like to hear of a case re-done from zero?

Best wishes
Josiah

Mark S.

Mar 14, 2019, 11:43:07 AM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi TT,

Feedback is always useful, though sometimes painful.

Did the 313a version prompt you for permissions?

The missing resources is worrisome. However, did you happen to check the Document/TwFile directory? It's possible that the resources were there, but hadn't loaded into the list. In theory, after you give permissions, the system will have the power to create the directory and load the resources. But if it didn't ask you for permissions, then that might not happen. Completely shutting down Q and restarting might have activated the resources without installing 312. So knowing if it prompted for permissions would be useful.

Having it empty the Documents/TwFiles during uninstall is surprising. In theory, anything in public directory should remain after an uninstall.

Thank you!
-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 11:49:06 AM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark

I'll do again to double check and report back on specifics.

Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 12:32:02 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Nothing asked for extra permissions. Not on 313a or 312b.

TBH I am totally unclear if that is because I granted them on Q. before (i.e. its privileges are set in some setting file already regardless) or because the install natively does it anew?

Mark S.

Mar 14, 2019, 1:33:07 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Well, more mysterious.

Possibly G. decided to roll back their permissions requirements between v7 and v8 ? I doubt that Android retains permissions after uninstalls. That would be a security breach, I think.

So you tried 313a again? If you closed it out entirely (via the app manager, force close perhaps) and restarted, did the resource list populate?

I'm trying to understand if I've done anything that would completely disappear the resource list, of if it's just an edge case.

Do you have a Google-made phone or other? Google makes (or works closely with) the Nexus, Pixel, and two of the HTC phones. I ask because G. has certain rules for Android, but manufacturers (rhymes with Ham-Hung) can bend those rules. The bent rules may actually work better for consumers.

Thanks again!
-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 1:45:59 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S.

I took more care second time round to address you better. Takes time.

I'm still trying to get clear.

313a DOES work but the Resources don't show for me unless you close Quinoid and re-open it.

J.

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 1:52:12 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
The phone is a Motorola.

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 14, 2019, 4:07:04 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S.

Hope this is helpful--even an edge case--focus on 313a ... I needed to load it TWICE ...

1 -- Uninstall 312b & delete JSON & directory

Screenshot_20190314-203827.png

Delete folder ...

Screenshot_20190314-203929.png

2 -- Install 313a

Screenshot_20190314-204225 (1).png

3 -- Open of Resources on First run ...

Screenshot_20190314-204334.png

4 -- Open of resources on 2nd Run ...

Screenshot_20190314-204446.png

Best wishes
Josiah

TonyM

Mar 14, 2019, 10:19:40 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

Sorry, it took time to get back to this.

I have upgraded to 1190313a.apk. It seems to be working well. Although it did add the help page a second time.

I could send you the screenshot you requested but I would have to retro-grade. Let me know if you still want me to do that.

Regards
Tony

Mark S.

Mar 14, 2019, 11:02:06 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'm concerned about one of your comments. On the opening page of Q, on the actionbar, there should be a little plus sign (+) icon there. Is it showing up?

Thanks!
-- Mark

TonyM

Mar 14, 2019, 11:17:34 PM3/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,

It is fine with 1190313a.apk

Regards
Tony

Mark S.

Mar 16, 2019, 3:02:16 PM3/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
@Tony and anyone interested in GEO.

I've just posted quinoid-v-0-08-190316a-GEO.apk. (https://github.com/Marxsal/Quinoid01/releases/tag/v0.0.8alpha)  I tried looking through the forum for the GEO TW file you wanted to use, but of course couldn't find it.

This apk may allow you to do your GEO activities. When the activity is performed, there is allegedly a pop-up requesting permission. I can not test any of this because (1) I couldn't find your recommended file (2) The emulator doesn't emulate GEO (I think) and (3) I don't have a physical device with the prerequisite OS and physical properties. So please let me know if these settings have made any difference.

I also need to know if this crashes anyone's implementation. I had one crash on my emulator, but on a second pass it was fine. So it could just have been an emulator thing. The crash would occur when you first enter browsing, if it relates to the code changes. And crash before that is something else.

Thanks!
-- Mark

Watt

Mar 16, 2019, 6:43:34 PM3/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Mark the geo apk works for me.

I had already allowed location permissions to the previous version so can't say if it prompts for location or not. No prompts popped up anyway.

The wiki does now receive location info and acquires geo points via the geoloc macro and displays maps via leaflet. All working.

Thanks very much once again. I can't point you to the geoloc macro but it's on the forum. I installed it a long time ago and it was quite a challenge to get it working but it does work very well for me now. I would caution anyone experimenting to try it on empty test wikis first though, the version I used had a tendency to permanently lock up your wiki if everything wasn't exactly right. Maybe it's been updated since then.

It works on Quinoid for me now - great stuff!

Mark S.

Mar 16, 2019, 7:52:30 PM3/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the feedback, Watt!

-- Mark

David Nebauer

Mar 17, 2019, 6:26:53 AM3/17/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Reporting successful install of 190313a on a Pixel 1 running android 9. I was asked for storage permissions -- can't recall at exactly which point, though I think it was when I first opened a tiddlywiki.

Only one usability issue to report, aside from my apparently giant fingers sometimes having difficulty pressing the right icon in a toolbar: when I invoke the "More" dropdown from the ViewToolbar, the resulting menu is invisible. Here is a tiddler with the ViewToolbar displayed next to the tiddler title, with the "More" dropdown icon leftmost:

tiddler.png

Here is the dropdown menu after selection:

dropdown.png

The menu contents appear briefly when the menu is invoked, before quickly fading to white. If the menu is dismissed by clicking elsewhere in the user interface, the menu contents again appear briefly before the menu disappears. The menu contents are still there, and menu items can still be selected despite them being invisible. If I select a menu option, the menu again appears briefly, with the selected menu item in reverse colouring (as per normal operation), before the menu disappears and the selected action is executed.

Aside from this problem, quinoid has worked brilliantly for me and I have been able to copy across the contents of a small google Keep Notes (only 16 items/tidders).

Thanks for this great TW addition. Happy to do further testing on my android device if it helps.

TonyM

Mar 17, 2019, 9:00:05 AM3/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
David

I am keen to exit keep. Did you just transfer manualy, have you built a replica?

I hope to reproduce its use as a shopping list that allows searching previous entries on mobile.

Regards
Tony

David Nebauer

Mar 17, 2019, 10:42:46 AM3/17/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
If you open Keep Notes in a browser (https://keep.google.com) you can select them all with Ctrl-a and select "Copy to Google Docs" from the triple-dot menu. From google docs you can export them all as a single MS Word doc. I then edited that to change them to wikitext. Then it was relatively simple to copy and paste each note into a new tiddler.

I'm not sure what you mean by "replica", but I made no attempt to change the TW interface to resemble Keep Notes.

Cheers,
David

Mark S.

Mar 17, 2019, 2:11:28 PM3/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the feedback, David.

I think this sort of thing will depend on the nature of your hosted TW, themes, tweaks, and/or your screen size and orientation.

Thanks!
-- Mark

TonyM

Mar 17, 2019, 7:35:29 PM3/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks David

David Nebauer

Mar 18, 2019, 5:27:26 AM3/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S., you are correct. I started my android wiki with a "full wiki" download of the "TW for New Users" at http://tiddlywiki.psat.com.au/TW5NewUser.html. It was that wiki that displayed the problem with the invisible menu.

I have switched to an empty download of tiddlywiki.com wiki and the problem has disappeared.

Regards,
David.

On Monday, 18 March 2019 03:41:28 UTC+9:30, Mark S. wrote:

I think this sort of thing will depend on the nature of your hosted TW, themes, tweaks, and/or your screen size and orientation.

-- Mark

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:26:53 AM UTC-7, David Nebauer wrote:

Only one usability issue to report: when I invoke the "More" dropdown from the ViewToolbar, the resulting menu is invisible.

TonyM

Mar 22, 2019, 5:58:43 AM3/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
David,

That wiki is mine and only proposed. It is for learning and documentation. You are best using empty when using and building solutions.

I will see if i can fix it.

Tony

Mohammad

Jul 26, 2019, 5:18:50 AM7/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,
No news on Quinoid for a while?
Is there any plan for beta and RC?

I think it is a stable version and has great feature, the one I can open from Google Drive is quite useful!

--Mohammad

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 2:42:40 AM UTC+3:30, Mark S. wrote:

This version adds a menu item "Resources" that activates an activity page from whence a user can select a variety of existing resources (TW files) to download.
The activity page is, in turn, driven by a configurable file, allowing advanced users to share their own curated selection of TW sites. Please see the Readme.

The referenced resources include Todo Now, Expense Tracker, Quinoid Readme, and Empty Editions.

As always, consider this highly alpha. I was kind of worn out, and testing was very light.

Thanks!
-- Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 26, 2019, 5:39:08 AM7/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mark S. & Mohammad

I agree with you Mohammad ...

I think it is a stable version and has great feature, the one I can open from Google Drive is quite useful!

One  very good feature of Quidoid is how you can customise it to "fetch" any TiddlyWiki you want.

It opens the door well to bespoke applications in a quiet, efficient, way.

Best wishes
TT

Mark S.

Jul 26, 2019, 11:00:55 AM7/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'm not sure. When I started writing there were no other Android solutions (except AndTidwiki). Now there's
two others in the running. There was some criticism that Q. couldn't use local drives (don't know if the
user tried the "local" mode), so I might be out of my league.

Thanks!

Mohammad

Jul 26, 2019, 11:04:20 AM7/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark,
 I use Quinoid and it quite useful. I use both local storage and Google Drive!
It is pity you abandon Quinoid!

It is the only one works seamlessly with Drive.

Cheers
Mohammad

Mark S.

Jul 26, 2019, 11:24:25 AM7/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
I wouldn't say I'm abandoning it quite yet. Just maybe not aggressively pursuing
it. Seeing how other projects shape up. Especially if existing features aren't really
being used. Like the last upgrade had code to allow geo permissions in it, because
that was requested. But I'm not sure if it's working. My physical test device doesn't
have GPS, and the virtual device doesn't do GPS. So I'm dependent on feedback.

Also, well it's summer and a lot of people are at the beach (not me, but some people).

I'm definitely glad to hear you're using it! Working with synchronizing products like
GDrive can be scary -- even if your application works perfectly -- there's so many
points of possible failure.

Thanks!

Mohammad

Jul 26, 2019, 11:33:46 AM7/26/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the update!

Hope you find free time and go to the beach :-)

Thanks for all the useful tools and codes you provided to TW community!

Cheers
Mohammad

Sapphireslinger

Jul 27, 2019, 9:18:02 AM7/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
I am about to download Quinoid apk, but I can not quite gather from this thread whether I should use Quinoid a or Quinoid b?