[Presenting]: STROLL official rollout!

David Gifford

May 7, 2020, 11:04:17 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi everyone

Stroll is a TiddlyWiki adaptation imitating certain features of Roam to help users easily see connections between their notes and navigate between them. Features include:
  • bi-directional links,
  • autocompletion when linking,
  • renaming of links upon changing tiddler titles,
  • side-by-side editing of multiple notes.
Stroll is the successor to TiddlyBlink. I do not plan to update TiddlyBlink (or its cousin Idea Stew) from here on out, except may be to upgrade to new versions of TiddlyWiki.

I have uploaded Stroll to its official home: https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html.

I am hoping that its detailed tutorial will help introduce TiddlyWiki to a new generation of non-techy users. I am also hoping that its similarity to Roam will make it attractive to those who enjoy Roam but are concerned about privacy issues for some of their information, or who won't be able to afford Roam when it begins charging a subscription.

Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback during the experimental phase, and especially to Saq Imtiaz for creating and adapting his Stories plugin for Stroll's needs. And thanks to all of you in advance for your continued feedback and your promotion of Stroll as an easy way of getting people added to the TiddlyWiki community.

Blessings.

Robert Haisfield

May 7, 2020, 11:34:00 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey! Would love it if the backlinks highlighted in context were rendered rather than the original text, includes things like html for hover previews. See attached image.
068ED7DF-931A-4C4A-A923-FD966C000402.jpg

Robert Haisfield

May 7, 2020, 11:52:57 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Also, transclusion doesn't seem to be working properly.  Used this text: This is a dummy article.

and ended up with transclusion as shown in the image, not as a hover preview.
7CA60C1D-FF26-4E9F-AA94-8B9880386F1C.jpg

Peter Buyze

May 7, 2020, 11:59:22 AM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki forum
Congrats David, well done with this impressive piece of work, and your enthusiasm is inspiring too. I got started with TW by using TB some 3 weeks ago and have enjoyed every minute of it, thanks in no small part too of the amazingly dynamic  Google Group forum and its helpful members. In fact, it has even become difficult to tear myself away and do something else - self-discipline is important though.

I am looking forward to eventually explore, and make the switch to Stroll when I will start writing. Until that time I will keep abreast of events around Stroll.

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:

7 May 2020, 18:04 by dgif...@crcna.org:

Mohammad

May 7, 2020, 12:07:45 PM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Well done!
Thanks for sharing!

Ignore this comment:
  1. I would put settings under More tab
  2. The pinky eye icon could be theme consistent!

Cheers
Mohammad

David Gifford

May 7, 2020, 12:54:19 PM5/7/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, Robert, the highlight search in context function is part of someone else's plugin. I wouldn't know how to change it even if I wanted to.

Hey! Would love it if the backlinks highlighted in context were rendered rather than the original text, includes things like html for hover previews. See attached image.

David Gifford

May 7, 2020, 12:55:12 PM5/7/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words, Peter. Glad you were persistent enough to start getting the hang of it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/M6jrAz---3-2%40tutamail.com.

David Gifford

May 7, 2020, 12:57:50 PM5/7/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Robert

I think you are trying to do the transclusion of popups from another of my pages (https://giffmex.org/gifts/transclusioninpopups.html). That is not incorporated into Stroll. Add the three tiddlers listed below, but from that page, and you should be able to do that.

David Gifford

May 7, 2020, 1:00:37 PM5/7/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
"Ignore this comment" - Mohammad was this an excerpt from a previous post? I don't see that post. And yes, I will ignore those comments. :-)

Sylvain Naudin

May 7, 2020, 2:08:01 PM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,

Just open for the first time and read the documentation quickly.

When I saw the SVG icons in the text, it made me thought about this thread with a solution to integrate these icons more harmoniously in the text :

Sylvain

David Gifford

May 7, 2020, 2:21:36 PM5/7/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, Sylvain! I didn't know about that macro, or at least not for this use case. Fixed! Thank you!

Alexander Williams

May 7, 2020, 8:01:07 PM5/7/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 11:04:17 AM UTC-4, David Gifford wrote:
Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback during the experimental phase, and especially to Saq Imtiaz for creating and adapting his Stories plugin for Stroll's needs. And thanks to all of you in advance for your continued feedback and your promotion of Stroll as an easy way of getting people added to the TiddlyWiki community.

Interestingly, I'm seeing a strange error repeated when I convert it to run in Node.js as a wikifolder. To wit:

G:\TiddlyWiki>tiddlywiki Hierarch --listen
Warning: Plugins required for client-server operation ("tiddlywiki/filesystem" and "tiddlywiki/tiddlyweb") are missing from tiddlywiki.info file
(press ctrl-C to exit)
Blocked attempt to GET /recipes/default/tiddlers/tiddlers.json with filter: [all[tiddlers]]
-[[$:/isEncrypted]] -[prefix[$:/temp/]] -[prefix[$:/status/]]
Blocked attempt to GET /recipes/default/tiddlers/tiddlers.json with filter: [all[tiddlers]]
-[[$:/isEncrypted]] -[prefix[$:/temp/]] -[prefix[$:/status/]]
Blocked attempt to GET /recipes/default/tiddlers/tiddlers.json with filter: [all[tiddlers]]
-[[$:/isEncrypted]] -[prefix[$:/temp/]] -[prefix[$:/status/]]
Blocked attempt to GET /recipes/default/tiddlers/tiddlers.json with filter: [all[tiddlers]]
-[[$:/isEncrypted]] -[prefix[$:/temp/]] -[prefix[$:/status/]]
Blocked attempt to GET /recipes/default/tiddlers/tiddlers.json with filter: [all[tiddlers]]
-[[$:/isEncrypted]] -[prefix[$:/temp/]] -[prefix[$:/status/]]

Which I'm pretty sure isn't supposed to happen.

Otherwise, it definitely seems to be working.

David Gifford

May 7, 2020, 8:12:31 PM5/7/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander

Hmmmm...hopefully someone else can investigate this - I really have very little experience with node.js. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Martin Piron

May 8, 2020, 4:38:56 AM5/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Dave, thanks a lot again for your hard work !

I noticed that Stroll deactivates (or accelerates too much ?) the animations normally visible with the "Pop" or "Zoomin" story views. Is that a desired effect ? I personally quite like the animations and would like to know if I can have them back :-)

Also, the link autocompletion does not show when I use ctrl+space, neither any key combination that I tried (configured following the convention defined by the developer here). That bothers me a bit but still, it works with "[[" so...
I'm a little bit annoyed by the fact that this autocompletion plugin seems not usable with, for example, CodeMirror editor that I like, and that it does not seem to be possible to click on a completion to accept it (which would be very useful on a touchscreen).

David Gifford

May 8, 2020, 9:35:30 AM5/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Martin,

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 3:38:56 AM UTC-5, Martin Piron wrote:
Hello Dave, thanks a lot again for your hard work !

I noticed that Stroll deactivates (or accelerates too much ?) the animations normally visible with the "Pop" or "Zoomin" story views. Is that a desired effect ? I personally quite like the animations and would like to know if I can have them back :-)

Easy fix. Change the tiddler $:/config/AnimationDuration back to 400.

Also, the link autocompletion does not show when I use ctrl+space, neither any key combination that I tried (configured following the convention defined by the developer here). That bothers me a bit but still, it works with "[[" so...
I'm a little bit annoyed by the fact that this autocompletion plugin seems not usable with, for example, CodeMirror editor that I like, and that it does not seem to be possible to click on a completion to accept it (which would be very useful on a touchscreen).

That is something to take up with the plugin creator. It works as is for the use case of Stroll, taking notes in TiddlyWiki. I did make a change in the folllowing tiddler. Not sure if that is causing the problem you are seeing. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

$:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext/config

Martin Piron

May 8, 2020, 10:00:22 AM5/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you so much, Dave.

Another thing I noticed (sorry, I hope this is not annoying to you ?) is that increasing the sidebar width setting while in "fluid story, fixed sidebar" layout does not actually extend the sidebar any more, it just creates a margin between the story and sidebar. This renders the TiddlyMap usage quite challenging...

Is there a setting somewhere in Stroll (I noticed that behavior on a plain Stroll file) that fixes the sidebar width disregarding the Sidebar width setting in

$:/ControlPanel ?

Birthe C

May 8, 2020, 10:46:20 AM5/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Martin,

Using Stroll, look in the control panel for options in tab Two Story Layout.
If you want to use TiddlyMap in the sidebar, I think TiddlyBlink might be a better choice.

Birthe

David Gifford

May 8, 2020, 10:54:43 AM5/8/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 9:00 AM Martin Piron <piron....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you so much, Dave.

Another thing I noticed (sorry, I hope this is not annoying to you ?)

No, not annoying, very helpful. Because TiddlyWiki is so adaptable, there is no way I can test every possible thing that users will do with it. So I need to hear these kinds of things in case there are refinements or instructions I need to put in place.

is that increasing the sidebar width setting while in "fluid story, fixed sidebar" layout does not actually extend the sidebar any more, it just creates a margin between the story and sidebar. This renders the TiddlyMap usage quite challenging...

Yes, I think the Stories plugin affects or limits what you can do with the sidebar/story river measurements. Have you tried also experimenting with top two measurements in the Control panel > Appearance > Two Story Layout? Saq has a really wide screen and had it set at 1500px. I have an average laptop, and had to adjust it to 1100px. I don't know what kind of screen you are working on, or what you are seeing, so it is hard to offer advice.

TiddlyMap is probably only going to work in one column mode. I think it has ways of opening up as a separate tiddler, though. Sorry, I haven't worked much with that plugin.

Is there a setting somewhere in Stroll (I noticed that behavior on a plain Stroll file) that fixes the sidebar width disregarding the Sidebar width setting in

$:/ControlPanel ?

See Control panel > Appearance > Two Story Layout should be what you are looking for.

Le jeudi 7 mai 2020 17:04:17 UTC+2, David Gifford a écrit :
[...]

Saq Imtiaz

May 8, 2020, 11:22:33 AM5/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Martin @Dave I can make no guarantees that you can have a wider sidebar with the Stories plugin as it is now but I think it should work.The fixed width of the sidebar that you are seeing now is most likely due to hardwired numbers for the sidebar width in a non-Stories CSS tiddler, perhaps from TiddlyBlink?

The solution would be to pull the number from the config tiddler
$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/sidebarwidth
Hope this helps,
Saq

Ed Heil

May 8, 2020, 11:29:11 AM5/8/20
to TiddlyWiki
This is outstanding.  I feel like it could completely transform how one works with tiddlywikis.

Right now it feels like the learning path for a new tiddlywiki user is

* use links because they're easy and basic
* realize you can't rename tiddlers without a lot of work -- grab a plugin to fix it, or start looking into tags, which do auto-renaming completely
* realize a lot of the most powerful ways of linking things together involves tags, because a tag establishes a two-way link between the tag tiddler and the tagged tiddler, and the relationship persists through renames.

At least, that was the path for me.

But there's a discontinuity between fluent "writing and linking" and "learning to do things effectively with tags" which requires effort to cross.

With this, you get a lot of the benefits that right now require tags, without having to make that extra jump of learning.  It keeps things more traditionally wiki-like, text-oriented.

I wonder if the future of Tiddlywiki is going to involve incorporating some kind of backlinking.

One small downside for me: it's a bummer that the autocomplete plugin doesn't allow you to just click on one of the completions, as opposed to moving down onto them with arrow keys, because I'm often on mobile where I have no arrow keys.  Oh well, I can disable that, it's a peripheral issue.  I appreciate the fact that it was called out in the tutorial so I knew what was going on there.

Anyway, congratulations on this achievement.

David Gifford

May 8, 2020, 11:39:22 AM5/8/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Finally someone gets it!

Martin Piron

May 9, 2020, 5:22:40 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Saq @Dave

Thanks ! This is what I see (notice that two- or one-story mode does not help with the sidebar width, that I made 600px) :

@Saq,
$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/sidebarwidth
is 600px as configured in the ControlPanel, but that does not change the sidebar content width, unfortunately. I don't know where to search for a CSS tiddler fixing this value, and Control panel > Appearance > Two Story Layout values do not seem to be changing this behavior.

I tried deactivating the Stories plugin but that does not help with the sidebar width, so it must be a value buried somewhere in Stroll @Dave ?

Thanks again for your excellent work and support !

Birthe C

May 9, 2020, 5:34:36 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Martin Piron,

You can find it in $:/.giffmex/.Stylesheet4tiddlyblink the following part

/*SIDEBAR*/

.tc-sidebar-scrollable { left: auto; top: 0; right: 0; width: 350px; }

But editing that alone will not give you the result you are after. It has to fit the two story.

Birthe

Saq Imtiaz

May 9, 2020, 5:42:40 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Martin @Birthe

Actually try removing that line entirely. I suspect it should work and if not, let me know.

Birthe C

May 9, 2020, 6:00:15 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Saq and Martin,

I am using a small screen and really not using sidebar that much. I do realise that it is important to Tiddlymap users.

For my use I used the ideas from Jan and Eucaly. On my screen it looks like this.

Birthe

Stroll_mysmall_screen.png

Saq Imtiaz

May 9, 2020, 6:48:52 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Birthe good solution for smaller screens!

Edu Neve

May 9, 2020, 7:12:31 AM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you David!
I was struggling to get Tobibeer's multi-level nested hover previews (with his preview plugin) working with TiddlyBlink, as they were conflicting with the blinks, but I see it now works with Stroll.

Thanks also to Robert Haisfeld for the idea of trying with Stroll.

For installing Tobibeer preview plugin, the appear plugin is also necessary: https://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#preview

I'm attaching a file with the preview plugin already installed in Stroll.

David, please let me know if you find any conflicts between this plugin and the overall functionality of Stroll.

Thanks again for the great work!
StrollAndHover.html

Ed Heil

May 9, 2020, 3:40:52 PM5/9/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
David,

On the issue of the autocomplete -- it might be worth calling out in the tutorial that the autocomplete plugin won't work on iOS, or anyplace you don't have arrow keys, as this will be a problem for people using it, e.g., through Quine 2. It's also not trivial to disable it; you can't just disable the plugin, you need to go find the shadowed tiddler which replaces the regular editor with the autocompleting editor, and delete the shadowing tiddler. (I learned that from reading the Autocomplete docs.) That's not something a beginner would have any idea how to do so it might be an unnecessary hurdle.

One other thing I would have liked to see in the tutorial -- I was thinking about whether I just wanted to add the backlink plugin to my existing tiddlywiki. The tutorial tells me what the backlink plugin does -- but it doesn't tell me what it *doesn't* do that the full Stroll install *does* do. So I didn't feel like I had the information I needed to make that choice.

Just a couple suggestions. Again, I'm very enthusiastic about Stroll!

Gerrit Beine

May 9, 2020, 4:06:14 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,
as promised on Twitter, here are my patched files.
I've fixed the usage of icons and the hints for the toolbar buttons.
Thanks again for stroll!
Gerrit
$__.giffmex_ViewToolbar_new-note-here-datetime.tid.diff
$__.giffmex_ViewToolbar_new-note-here.tid.diff

selfire

May 9, 2020, 4:37:35 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,

thank you so much for your amazing work.

I seem to have the problem that whenever I tick "Stroll default tiddler title position", the title for my tiddlers just disappears, including any editor options.

Choose how to view titles:

 Stroll default tiddler title position
 TiddlyWiki default tiddler title position

Birthe C

May 9, 2020, 5:00:57 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
If you open tiddler $:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/title in one of the stories and tiddler $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/title in the other story. You can see, that toggling Stroll default tiddler title position and tiddlywiki default tiddler title posision really toggles $:/tags/ViewTemplate/title. That will work - if one of the tiddlers was not overwritten for some reason. Both being without tag at the same time.

Birthe

David Gifford

May 9, 2020, 10:58:29 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Gerrit

1) Not sure how to open diff files. Maybe you could send them in a tiddlywiki html or as tid files?

2) What specifically is wrong with my "usage of icons and the hints for the toolbar buttons"? You do realize I changed those hints, since those are NOT the usual new here buttons that tag tiddlers, correct? They are new here buttons that add links to the parent tiddlers inside the text field of the child tiddlers.

David Gifford

May 9, 2020, 11:00:34 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Selfire

Birthe C is probably right, you probably had already tweaked a viewtemplate/title button before installing Stroll, and that is causing the conflict.

David Gifford

May 9, 2020, 11:12:19 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Ed

I just added to the documentation to reflect these two items. Thank you for bringing them to my attention!

David Gifford

May 9, 2020, 11:14:17 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Edu

I peed at the previews plugin and don't foresee it causing problems with Stroll. Not sure why it would not have worked in TiddlyBlink.

Keep in mind that the preview plugin will not work if you are going to use it for generating static HTMLs.

David Gifford

May 9, 2020, 11:16:06 PM5/9/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Martin and Birthe

I have removed that line from the StyleSheet. I think it had been for the parallel tab in TiddlyBlink. Also, I renamed the stylesheet "$:/.giffmex/.Stylesheet4Stroll."

Gerrit Beine

May 10, 2020, 5:12:14 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,

yes, that's recognized ;-)
In the configuration of the view toolbar the description for journal entries was not shown and the description for new tiddler was the one for the journal entry.
I've fixed this.
Also, in the configuration the icon for the new tiddler was the same as for the new journal entry.
I changed the icon for new tiddler to the same one that is used in the view toolbar.

HTH
So long..

Gerrit

David Gifford

May 10, 2020, 8:53:50 AM5/10/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
But I still don't know how to open and read your diff files...

Saq Imtiaz

May 10, 2020, 8:55:51 AM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Open in any text editor Dave, they show you what has changed in that particular file compared to the original.

David Gifford

May 10, 2020, 9:01:15 AM5/10/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
ok thanks Saq!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b0781169-228c-4bfc-9bee-6d94acde5d38%40googlegroups.com.

Gerrit Beine

May 10, 2020, 2:17:30 PM5/10/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,

you can use diffutils or patch for it, depending on your OS.

The diff is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff
And on Unixes, the patch tool is available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix)
I use ordinary text editors to read these files and diff and patch to work with them.

HTH

Gerrit
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tiddl...@googlegroups.com.

Dave Parker

May 11, 2020, 1:19:10 AM5/11/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey Dave, not sure if you know yet (I didn't read this entire thread), but you got a mention in the YouTube thing on "alternatives to roam"

https://youtu.be/KJdnZpUXluQ

David Gifford

May 11, 2020, 8:33:53 AM5/11/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Cool! Thanks for letting me know, Dave!

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:19 AM Dave Parker <cedard...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Dave, not sure if you know yet (I didn't read this entire thread), but you got a mention in the YouTube thing on "alternatives to roam"

https://youtu.be/KJdnZpUXluQ

Mohammad

Jakob

May 13, 2020, 5:33:28 AM5/13/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
What's a good way to make a stroll site publicy available? Static exports kill all the nice features but loading the full tiddler takes far too long.

Specifically, how did you host and deploy the sample stroll site at https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html? Any tips would be amazing.

Tony K

May 13, 2020, 5:38:43 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Jakob, it is just a static HTML file, you can "copy paste" it on your computer / phone and use it

David Gifford

May 13, 2020, 7:56:17 AM5/13/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jakob, I think you are asking about hosting your Stroll online. Stroll is ideally for using locally on your computer, but there are hosting options available.

In my case, years ago I bought my own site, so I just use FileZilla to upload the entire html file of Stroll to my site.

I agree, it is frustrating that exporting static htmls lose valuable features. But the gain is that they are faster to download. There is always a tradeoff!

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Specifically, how did you host and deploy the example stroll site ate https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html? Any tips would be amazing.

Am Donnerstag, 7. Mai 2020 17:04:17 UTC+2 schrieb David Gifford:
[...]

Jakob

May 13, 2020, 8:02:40 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,

thanks! That's what I'm doing now (edit locally, save html -> upload github pages). It's a bit cumbersome but I guess there currently isn't a much better option.

Best,
Jakib
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tiddl...@googlegroups.com.

Edgaras

May 13, 2020, 8:39:37 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
David small thingy, would it be possible to hide the line in the footnotes if no links are present?

David Gifford

May 13, 2020, 9:09:26 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Edgaras, not that I know of, the way I did it. Would require a complete reconfiguration.

Edgaras

May 13, 2020, 9:19:07 AM5/13/20
to TiddlyWiki
Wow I see! I thought I could find a way to hide that <hr> line somewhere in the structure files.

David Gifford

May 13, 2020, 9:22:48 AM5/13/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 8:19 AM Edgaras <edgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow I see! I thought I could find a way to hide that <hr> line somewhere in the structure files.

Faldrian

May 14, 2020, 4:44:05 PM5/14/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Thanks for the Stroll-Plugin, I like the backlinking and sometimes the two-river view can come in handy. It's a good assortment of enhancements to the standard TW. :)

I have some comments... and I hope I'm not intruding into a community that has a modus operandi that I don't get and show bad behaviour.

  1. There is a caption missing on "$:/.giffmex/ViewToolbar/new-note-here". The button content only has the image, but no text. You can check when you use the "more" menu - the "new tiddler here" is the only one without text.
  2. I was also missing the animation, but you offered a fix earlier in the thread. My feeling would be, that this animation duration change should not be part of the plugin, as it changes TWs behaviour to your liking and is not really needed for the plugin to work.
  3. Just a meta thing - and I don't want to impose something! - I would suggest using some online code repository for this. Benefits would be:
    1. I had to scroll along the whole thread to see if somebody already reported the missing button text. On an online repository (github/bitbucket/...) I could have looked in the bug tracker tab and read the titles. :)
    2. There is a bug tracker, so different improvements / bug reports could be handled indepenently, instead in a long thread chronologically
    3. People could make pull requests and the system would deal with merging the code by itself. You would still be in control what ends up in the code, but you would not have to worry about diff files and people could suggest improvements and deliver the code for it and you would only have to check and merge into the development version.
    4. A list of Changes / a history of the code would be available, this may be interesting and helpful to see what changes were made
thanks again, I will follow the future changes and am looking forward how this develops. :)

David Gifford

May 14, 2020, 5:49:15 PM5/14/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 3:44:05 PM UTC-5, Faldrian wrote:
Hi!

Thanks for the Stroll-Plugin, I like the backlinking and sometimes the two-river view can come in handy. It's a good assortment of enhancements to the standard TW. :)

Thanks!

I have some comments... and I hope I'm not intruding into a community that has a modus operandi that I don't get and show bad behaviour.

You did fine! You will find people are pretty friendly here, but also straightfoward when errors need correcting.
  1. There is a caption missing on "$:/.giffmex/ViewToolbar/new-note-here". The button content only has the image, but no text. You can check when you use the "more" menu - the "new tiddler here" is the only one without text.
I think I already fixed this with the help of Gerrit Beine earlier in this thread. Perhaps you downloaded your copy before I changed that. Check it at the Stroll site. More menu shows text.

  1. I was also missing the animation, but you offered a fix earlier in the thread. My feeling would be, that this animation duration change should not be part of the plugin, as it changes TWs behaviour to your liking and is not really needed for the plugin to work.
Good point, I will change it back to the annoying default behavior. :-)  You are right that it is not an essential part of Stroll, and I would like to keep this as lean and as similar to an out of the box Tiddlywiki as possible.
  1. Just a meta thing - and I don't want to impose something! - I would suggest using some online code repository for this. Benefits would be:
    1. I had to scroll along the whole thread to see if somebody already reported the missing button text. On an online repository (github/bitbucket/...) I could have looked in the bug tracker tab and read the titles. :)
    2. There is a bug tracker, so different improvements / bug reports could be handled indepenently, instead in a long thread chronologically
    3. People could make pull requests and the system would deal with merging the code by itself. You would still be in control what ends up in the code, but you would not have to worry about diff files and people could suggest improvements and deliver the code for it and you would only have to check and merge into the development version.
    4. A list of Changes / a history of the code would be available, this may be interesting and helpful to see what changes were made
I agree, that
1) adding it to GitHub and also
2) packaging the bits that are not parts of other plugins into a proper Stroll plugin
would be good steps for Stroll. I am quite willing for someone who is a longstanding member of the Google Group to adopt Stroll and host it on GitHub, and I could redirect from my site to that one. Seriously, I am not possessive of it, and I am ready to set this project aside and get back to focusing on using Stroll for my own needs.

FYI I don't know how to package plugins, and I find GitHub hard to understand, so I don't have the patience for those two additional learning curves. My many interests are elsewhere. I am not a coder, just someone with years of experience with TiddlyWiki who cobbles stuff together and hopes it works. And I have lots of generous ad knowledgeable friends here who have helped me figure things out when I got stuck. I just wanted to see how much of Roam functionality I could create in a TiddlyWiki, and I got fairly close on the basic functionality. Of course Roam has a lot more going for it than I can replicate, and TiddlyWiki has a lot that Roam does not. I don't see them as rivals, but similar tools for different needs / markets.

Blessings!

Timo Scheffler

May 15, 2020, 3:39:45 AM5/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
Thanks for the answer. :)

I think you have not fixed that, at least a current import of the file
from your tiddlywiki does not change anything and a look at
https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html#%24%3A%2F.giffmex%2FViewToolbar%2Fnew-note-here
seems to show that the button still has no text content.

Btw. I think that getting into writing plugins is quite hard on
tiddlywiki... or I did not find the up-to-date "how to do this / best
practises" tutorial. I want to start writing a plugin but my tries with
folder based plugin development are still throwing errors. :D But that's
a topic for another thread / more intense google search on my part. ^^

On 14.05.20 23:49, David Gifford wrote:

> [...]
> learning curves. My many interests are elsewhere. I am not a coder, just
> someone with years of experience with TiddlyWiki who cobbles stuff
> together and hopes it works. And I have lots of generous ad
> knowledgeable friends here who have helped me figure things out when I
> got stuck. I **just wanted to see how much of Roam functionality I could
> create in a TiddlyWiki, and I got fairly close on the basic
> functionality. Of course Roam has a lot more going for it than I can
> replicate, and TiddlyWiki has a lot that Roam does not. I don't see them
> as rivals, but similar tools for different needs / markets.
> *
> *
> *
> *Blessings!
> *
>
> thanks again, I will follow the future changes and am looking

David Gifford

May 15, 2020, 8:27:31 AM5/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 2:39 AM 'Timo Scheffler' via TiddlyWiki <tiddl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi!

Thanks for the answer. :)

I think you have not fixed that, at least a current import of the file
from your tiddlywiki does not change anything and a look at
https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html#%24%3A%2F.giffmex%2FViewToolbar%2Fnew-note-here
seems to show that the button still has no text content.

Maybe refresh your browser? When I go to that link and hover on the button in either the tiddler text or the viewtoolbar, I get a tooltip. When I click the more menu, there is text next to the icon. Edit the tiddler and you will see it has a description field and a content field. When I click the button it does what it is supposed to, create a new tiddler with a link to the originating tiddler.  So what exactly are you talking about?
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/20e46f51-5912-cf98-8a02-996c36532ae4%40googlemail.com.

Timo Scheffler

May 15, 2020, 10:21:16 AM5/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yep, still had the old version in browser cache, that solved it.

On 15.05.20 14:27, David Gifford wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 2:39 AM 'Timo Scheffler' via TiddlyWiki
> <tiddl...@googlegroups.com <mailto:tiddl...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi!
> Thanks for the answer. :)
>
> I think you have not fixed that, at least a current import of the file
> from your tiddlywiki does not change anything and a look at
> https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html#%24%3A%2F.giffmex%2FViewToolbar%2Fnew-note-here
> seems to show that the button still has no text content.
>

> *Maybe refresh your browser? When I go to that link and hover on the
> button in either the tiddler text or the viewtoolbar, I get a tooltip.
> When I click the more menu, there is text next to the icon. Edit the
> tiddler and you will see it has a description field and a content field.
> When I click the button it does what it is supposed to, create a new
> tiddler with a link to the originating tiddler.  So what exactly are you
> talking about?*
> <mailto:tiddlywiki%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:tiddlywiki+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:tiddlywiki%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/fb031a33-8147-4f43-8402-fc09700d107e%40googlegroups.com
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/fb031a33-8147-4f43-8402-fc09700d107e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/20e46f51-5912-cf98-8a02-996c36532ae4%40googlemail.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CANE%3DBFLwGFWLief-9Ku%3DnnE0ofW4gBCi%3D0z8gQ2uvDfHCV_pew%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CANE%3DBFLwGFWLief-9Ku%3DnnE0ofW4gBCi%3D0z8gQ2uvDfHCV_pew%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mark S.

May 15, 2020, 8:03:07 PM5/15/20
to TiddlyWiki

I don't know if this means that I'm using Stroll incorrectly, but a feature I like is to sometimes see the sub-refs below the current refs. If anyone is interested, this is a little hack I made on TWBlink and now on Stroll.

In $:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/refstranscludecollapse I replace the <$transclude...> down towards the bottom with this:

<$transclude field="text" mode="block" />
<$list filter="[all[current]tag[header]]">
{{||ShowTOC}}
</$list>
</$transclude>

where ShowTOC is a template with contents:

<<list-links "[all[current]backlinks[]!tag[outlines]]">>

Then any tiddler tagged "header" will reveal its refnotes inside of the refnotes section. That is, you're able to see the refnotes of a refnote.

Actually, I add other <$lists> to do other things, for instance turning the reference area into an ad-hoc quiz app. But I digress.

As I said, I may not "get" how I'm supposed to be using Stroll.

Thanks!

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 8:04:17 AM UTC-7, David Gifford wrote:
Hi everyone

David Gifford

May 15, 2020, 9:49:36 PM5/15/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

I tried it out and it works pretty cool! I was wondering why you limited the subrefs to those tagged header. I took that out and all of the tiddlers show subrefs. I also added ''Subrefs'' at the top of ShowTOC so it is clearer that those are not part of the text of the transcluded tiddler.

I might offer this as a goodie (with attribution) for those who would like to try it. I am afraid to put it in Stroll directly, because for new users it would be confusing. Hard enough to explain transclusion of refs, much less "links to subrefs of transcluded refs".

I don't know as there is a right way or wrong way to use Stroll. The basic idea is to take notes and link to other ideas in a note - to use links like links and like tags, and ignore tags except for behind the scenes functions. The backlinks just make it easier to  navigate between tiddlers and see connections between ideas more easily. (Your hack extends this possibility even further, for those who are savvy enough to get the idea).

Opening a tiddler in the second column is helpful when you want to compare and edit related tiddlers side by side (examples: a book and a topic, a draft and a final version, to dos and appointments, two thinkers' opinions on the same topic, etc), but the two column format is not necessary most of the time.

Stratos Laspas

May 16, 2020, 2:21:34 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,

Yes, why not, I'd like to give this goodie a try and see how it works!

TiddlyTweeter

May 16, 2020, 4:20:37 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Can I be your puppy? Woof! :-)

Neat work. Very nice.

TT

On Thursday, 7 May 2020 17:04:17 UTC+2, David Gifford wrote:
Hi everyone

Saq Imtiaz

May 16, 2020, 4:42:11 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Based on the number of users wanting to use Markdown in Stroll and struggling to get autocomplete working, I suggest the below directions get backed into stroll since the comptext plugin is already included. They wont affect users that don't use Markdown, and the addition to file size is negligible.

If you want the comptext plugin (which is what TiddlyBlink/Stroll uses) to support autocompletion of [[title]] format links in markdown tiddlers:
Create a tiddler with the title
$:/config/EditorTypeMappings/text/x-markdown

Where the text of the tiddler is:
comptext

TiddlyTweeter

May 16, 2020, 5:16:03 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Saq

Which version of Markdown?

TT

Saq Imtiaz

May 16, 2020, 6:42:44 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
@TT this will work for any tiddler with type x/markdown irrespective of which markdown tiddler is used.

David Gifford

May 16, 2020, 9:36:18 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Saq, I added your instructions to the 'Advanced stuff' tiddler in Stroll.

David Gifford

May 16, 2020, 9:37:06 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mark S, I added your hack to the Goodies file - https://giffmex.org/stroll/goodies.html

Reet Pandher

May 16, 2020, 10:15:01 AM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,

First of all Thank You for putting in so much effort into Stroll. I have switched to Stroll now from my typical TiddlyWiki.
I have but one query: In my original TiddlyWiki i used TiddlyMap. I installed TiddlyMap on Stroll and it seems to override the two-story layout and reverts it to a default tiddlywiki view. I understand it is because the TiddlyMap needs the space to open up. Is there any way to expand the view back to two-story mode once i am done viewing the map?

David Gifford

May 16, 2020, 11:29:43 AM5/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reet

I just updated Stroll to add a Troubleshooting tab on the front page. I added instructions there on how to hack your TiddlyMap. If that doesn't work, let me know.

Reet Pandher

May 16, 2020, 1:48:16 PM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,
I tried the fix for TiddlyMap.
I am getting the following error:
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: bad escaped character at line 538 column 57 of the JSON data.

I tried it with 5 different copies of my original file. I tried editing the tiddler in TiddlyDesktop as well as in Firefox and Chrome. The result is the same. After saving the file breaks.
This is the process i followed:
Go to Options> Plugins> Open $:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap Tiddler> Edit and Save the tiddler.

Here is where i pasted the code:

"$:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor": {
            "title": "$:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor",
            "caption": "Map",
            "tags": "$:/tags/SideBar",
        },

If you copy paste the $:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap Tiddler text into Notepad++ this block of code is in line 534 - 539

Here is what it looked like with the code pasted in:

"$:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor": {
            "title": "$:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor",
            "caption": "Map",
            "tags": "$:/tags/SideBar",
            "text": "\\define width() calc(100% - 15px)\define lingo-base() $:/language/ThemeTweaks/

        },

I also tried the pasting the code after removing all the spaces b/w ThemeTweaks/ and <$select tiddler...
Same Result. File Breaks.
Please let me know if i am doing this correct at all.

David Gifford

May 16, 2020, 2:40:34 PM5/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rert

Try pasting it on the line AFTER the first line, not at the end of the first line. I guess I need to make that clearer.

Kevin Boyle

May 16, 2020, 8:17:39 PM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Very cool! In vanilla TiddlyWiki, linking to a non-existent tiddler [[new tiddler]] renders as an italic link and the missing entry shows up in the sidebar under More > Missing.

It is handy to see what entries are hanging and need to be fleshed out later. Seems like something about the automatic back links automatically creates the new tiddler in the background and removes its Missing property. Is this required for the back links, or can it be preserved? Is there another work around to find empty tiddlers?

--Kevin

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 8:04:17 AM UTC-7, David Gifford wrote:
Hi everyone

David Gifford

May 16, 2020, 8:35:51 PM5/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin

If you don't want the automatic tiddler creation on saving edited tiddlers, delete the tiddler

$:/config/ui/EditTemplate

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

Reet Pandher

May 16, 2020, 8:50:27 PM5/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Sorry to bother you again.
Now i am getting this error:
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: expected ',' or '}' after property value in object at line 539 column 4 of the JSON data

For comparison this is what the code looks like now:

"$:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor": {
            "title": "$:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor",
            "caption": "Map",
            "tags": "$:/tags/SideBar",

            \define lingo-base() $:/language/ThemeTweaks/

        },

David Gifford

May 16, 2020, 8:57:00 PM5/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I have to appeal to those who know more than I do, to help you figure out what is happening.  Are you doing it manually in GitHub? Are those /n's yours?

I added the snippet with no problem on a standalone Stroll (attached).

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:48 PM Reet Pandher <reet11...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

strollwithtiddlymap.html

Luis R

May 16, 2020, 9:33:44 PM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hey! Great Job! I just checked it out a bit. I like it a lot :)

Reet Pandher

May 16, 2020, 9:35:31 PM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,

No worries. I can work with what i've got.
Regarding the /n in the code i haven't changed or added anything(apart from the fix for tiddlymap). Perhaps our code is a bit different because i am using TiddlyDesktop and the process of installing TiddyMap is a bit different in TiddlyDesktop ( See: http://tiddlymap.org/#Common%20Pitfalls)
Anyways, Thanks a lot for your time and effort.

Reet Pandher

May 16, 2020, 10:01:18 PM5/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave, Just wanted to let you know that the stroll that you have linked in your comment is working perfectly.
So here's an idea.. why not provide a download option for an empty stroll with tiddlymap configured with the modified code on the stroll website.
That'd be amazing!!

Thanks
Reet

Reet Pandher

May 17, 2020, 10:13:51 AM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
[[Feature Request]]

If possible please add a collapse button for Highlights in Context option.

Thanks!

David Gifford

David Gifford

May 17, 2020, 10:18:25 AM5/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
oops, sorry I forgot to delete my email signature section before hitting send, I know some people get offended by that.

Nick

May 17, 2020, 10:31:51 AM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
I fixed this by starting with empty node TW5, drag+drop Stroll from giffmex, drag and drop 4 bits of TiddlyMap.

Then go to More > Shadow tiddlers > $:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor and click to open it. Edit it, and add
\define lingo-base() $:/language/ThemeTweaks/
after the first line so that the tiddler looks like:
\define width() calc(100% - 15px)
\define lingo-base() $:/language/ThemeTweaks/

The editor is not displayed in mobile mode.

</
div>

<$tiddlymap

class="tmap-sidebar-map-editor"
    editor
="advanced"

object-id="main_editor"
    click
-to-use="false">

</$tiddlymap>
</
div>

However - you can just set Sidebar layout to Fluid Story, Fixed Sidebar and it works anyway? Or am I missing something?

Thanks so much Dave for Stroll and TiddlyMap integration - it's truly amazing. RoamResearch has a very odd approach to customer care which don't encourage me to give them my data or money.

Nick

Nick

May 17, 2020, 10:34:25 AM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Loving Stroll + TiddlyMap. I would really like to use Codemirror and Markdown, but then I apparently lose the link autocompletion - or has someone found a way of making all this work?

Thanks

Nick

Saq Imtiaz

May 17, 2020, 10:36:51 AM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
@Nick: this in conjunction with the Codemirror and Markdown plugins might do the trick:

David Gifford

May 17, 2020, 11:12:12 AM5/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, see https://giffmex.org/stroll/stroll.html, new Troubleshooting tab.

Nick

May 17, 2020, 5:36:34 PM5/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks this works really well.

Alysha Chua

May 19, 2020, 6:56:18 AM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi guys, can anyone share an empty Stroll + Tiddlymap file? When I try to import the Tiddlymap plugins, I don't get the Map and Live tab.

There are instructions on the Troubleshooting tab to add a new line of code

'In the tiddler $:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor of your file, on a new line right after the first line (\define width() calc(100% - 15px))'

but my $:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap/hook/editor file is completely empty.

Really appreciate if someone can share their file with the Tiddlymap integration 😭😭

Reet Pandher

May 19, 2020, 7:58:29 AM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
There you go!
Empty.html

Jared Volpe

May 19, 2020, 12:21:15 PM5/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to remove my current version of Stroll and then reinstall it. Basically, get back to the install state but not delete my Tiddlers and my plugins. Can someone share a workflow for doing that?

This is what my sidebar looks like now and I want to reset it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 09.20.35.png

David Gifford

May 19, 2020, 12:30:06 PM5/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Jared,

What exactly do you want your sidebar tabs to look like? It would make more sense to remove tags from tiddlers tagged $:/tags/SideBar than to uninstall and reinstall Stroll.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:21 AM Jared Volpe <jared...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd love to remove my current version of Stroll and then reinstall it. Can someone share a workflow for doing that?

Jared Volpe

May 19, 2020, 12:36:26 PM5/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
My sidebar doesn't look broken to you? E.g. The 2 settings tabs. Doesn't that seem odd/broken?

Also, I looked at my tags list and I don't see a tag "SideBar"
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tiddl...@googlegroups.com.

Mark S.

May 19, 2020, 12:54:25 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Are the contents of the two settings identical?

The tag you want to look for is

$:/tags/SideBar

David Gifford

May 19, 2020, 12:59:08 PM5/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Add this to a tiddler: <<tag $:/tags/SideBar>>

then click it, and see what tiddlers come up. That should show you if there are duplicates, and you can delete one of them.

David Gifford

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:36 AM Jared Volpe <jared...@gmail.com> wrote:
My sidebar doesn't look broken to you? E.g. The 2 settings tabs. Doesn't that seem odd/broken?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/418d2f6e-955f-4e03-a0fb-bfa9aad8afb1%40googlegroups.com.

Jared Volpe

May 19, 2020, 1:15:14 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
They aren't. And all of the colors are borked too. I'd really like to start fresh. Again, not blow away my content but blow away Stroll and other customizations (not plugins) and then reinstall.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 10.13.49.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 10.13.55.png

Message has been deleted

Jared Volpe

May 19, 2020, 1:18:39 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki

There aren't any duplicates...

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 10.17.53.png

Jared Volpe

May 19, 2020, 1:20:25 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Could this be because in installed Stroll and Blinks?

David Gifford

May 19, 2020, 1:22:14 PM5/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
1) Wow, that is impossible that nothing comes up when you click on that tag pill.

2) If you really need to uninstall:

a) click the magnifying glass next to the search window
b) Filter tab
c) insert [tag[stroll]]
d) click the red trashcan
e) click 'delete these tiddlers

Nothing comes up.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 10.15.51.png

David Gifford

May 19, 2020, 2:02:44 PM5/19/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I think advancedconfig and titleview chooser are the two that are similar. Pick the one with more options and delete the other.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/4d9556d3-dcbb-43c1-ac8f-50a4183fad37%40googlegroups.com.

Jared Volpe

May 19, 2020, 2:06:31 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
That fixed it! Thank you!

Mark S.

May 19, 2020, 5:52:36 PM5/19/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 10:22:14 AM UTC-7, David Gifford wrote:
1) Wow, that is impossible that nothing comes up when you click on that tag pill.

I don't see "$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/titleviewchooser" in TiddlyBlink nor Stroll.

It is loading more messages.