[ANN] Moved my TW5 stuff

Ton Gerner

Dec 28, 2020, 9:31:54 AM12/28/20
to TiddlyWiki
Since TiddlySpot cannot be used anymore, I decided to host my TW5 stuff at my Raspberry Pi home server.

'My playground' with themes, plugins and a few code tiddlers can be found at: http://www.tongerner.nl/TW5/TW5_index.html

At this moment only the TW5.1.22 guides at TiddlySpot are available.

When time permits I will upgrade (some of) my guides and host them on my server.

Best wishes

Ton

dieg...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2020, 10:46:57 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ton,

That link does not work for me, for a few days now.

Sylvain Naudin

Dec 30, 2020, 10:58:56 AM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
FYI, I'm redirect to http://80.56.108.132/TW5/TW5_index.html (if this is a DNS issue).

Ton Gerner

Dec 30, 2020, 1:23:53 PM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi guys,

Thanks for reporting.
The strange thing is I could reach the given url with my Android phone using 4G, so I thought everything is OK.
(And yes, http://www.tongerner.nl/TW5/TW5_index.html translates to http://80.56.108.132/TW5/TW5_index.html.)

May be it were the file permissions. I changed them and as far as I can tell the url can be used now.

Please check again.

Cheers,

Ton

Scott Kingery

Dec 30, 2020, 4:45:00 PM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Ton,
Appears to be working for me.

Scott

TW Tones

Dec 30, 2020, 5:57:36 PM12/30/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ton,

Thanks for the update, I really value many of your tools.

So your  Raspberry Pi home server is internet facing? Interesting stuff;

Just some thoughts
  • Use a splashscreen, although it loads fairly quickly
  • Are or would you now use free Cloudflare or another CDN?
    • When I did this load performance was high and takes a load of the server.

Love your work

Regards
Tones

Ton Gerner

Dec 31, 2020, 4:51:36 AM12/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony,

Thanks for asking.
In the past I hosted my website in (the free version of) Dropbox but at a certain moment it was not possible anymore.
Thereafter I used an old NAS as home webserver. When that NAS died I used https://www.pestmeester.nl/index.html to create a reasonable scure nginx webserver on a Raspberry Pi. I tried - but did not succeed - to get a SSL certificate (via Let's Encrypt) working.
I did learn a lot creating a Raspberry Pi webserver.
I do not use a CDN or other web creating software. The basis has been made with pure HTML and CSS, linking to TiddlyWiki's.

And since a few days I hosted 'My playground' on my server as well. If time permits (some of) my guides (now non-upgradable at TiddlySpot) will follow.

Cheers,

Ton

Ton Gerner

Dec 31, 2020, 4:53:43 AM12/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Scott,

Thanks for checking.

Cheers,

Ton

David Gifford

Dec 31, 2020, 10:16:58 AM12/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Ton

I changed your Toolmap entries from tiddlyspot to http://80.56.108.132/TW5/TW5_playground.html

Go to https://dynalist.io/d/zUP-nIWu2FFoXH-oM7L7d9DM and do searches for 80.56.108.132.

I also took the liberty of changing the links for the following four items to http://80.56..., which are not listed in your plugin dropdown there but are in fact there as tiddlers. Are they items you need to add to your plugins dropdown? If you prefer they still link to TiddlySpot, please resend me the desired links, as I forgot to save the TiddlySpot links)

Timestamp
Editor toolbar buttons
Pretty link button
Emphasized theme.

Blessings and Happy new year!

Ton Gerner

Dec 31, 2020, 1:37:27 PM12/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,

You are fast ;-)

But it is better to use http://www.tongerner.nl/TW5/TW5_index.html (as given in the OP) instead of http://80.56.108.132/TW5/TW5_playground.html

1)
I host my TW5 stuff on my home server.
I own the domain name www.tongerner.nl which will be forwarded to the IP address I got from my internet provider. If for some reason that IP address changes (e.g. switching of internet provider or when I host my site at an outside server) I only have to change the forwarding.

2)
TW5_index.html is the starting page for 'My playground' and other TW5 stuff (e.g. my guides now only available at TiddlySpot).

3)
At the moment some of my plugins refer to demos at TiddlySpot; that need to be changed.

I also took the liberty of changing the links for the following four items to http://80.56..., which are not listed in your plugin dropdown there but are in fact there as tiddlers. Are they items you need to add to your plugins dropdown? If you prefer they still link to TiddlySpot, please resend me the desired links, as I forgot to save the TiddlySpot links)

Timestamp
Editor toolbar buttons
Pretty link button
Emphasized theme.

 Which dropdowns are you talking about? And why these 4 items?

In 'My playground':
Timestamp & Pretty link button can be found via tabs Plugins > Editor toolbar buttons
Emphasized theme via tabs Plugins > Themes

Sorry for the inconvenience. Your Dynalist Toolmap is a very good resource.

Best regards and Happy new year.

Ton