More redesigning TW. GettingStarted should be revamped.

Paco Rivière

May 22, 2020, 4:06:17 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
It should be possible to start and have some results, in a fully intuitive way. Words such as DefaultTiddler, ShadowTiddler, and "retain story order", for example, need further explanation and do not meet this criterion.

For many years I have spent a lot of time preaching TiddlyWiki among my students and friends and they always crash at this sort of thing.

For DefaultTiddlers a favorite star icon, on the page toolbar, would add the tiddler title to DefaultTiddlers transparently for the new user, without changing anytinng for old users. GettingStarted may have the star initially marked. Maybe greyed. So when downloading a new TiddlyWiki, GettingStarted would appear. Removing the star should cause the tiddler title to be deleted from the DefaultTiddlers.
To do this we just need to add the Favorites button to the page toolbar, which will do the job. An intuitive concept.

For ShadowTiddlers and story, we only need to adopt more intuitive words, such as predefined tiddlers and main column tiddlers or even better ones.

TiddlyTweeter

May 22, 2020, 7:04:57 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
It is an interesting issue. Yes. Very.

But I doubt most people GAF.

I think end users are most interested in simple utility FOR an aim.

Simple apps for something or other. What is your app for?

Just wondering!

Best, TT
Message has been deleted

Paco Rivière

May 22, 2020, 7:12:18 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki

El divendres, 22 maig de 2020 10:06:17 UTC+2, Paco Rivière va escriure:

To do this we just need to add the Favorites button to the page toolbar, which will do the job. An intuitive concept.

I meant "we just need to add the Favorites button to the view toolbar"

TiddlyTweeter

May 22, 2020, 7:29:40 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
My apologies. I thought it more.

You might want to retry using your specific need as the title!

TT

Paco Rivière

May 22, 2020, 7:45:09 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
El divendres, 22 maig de 2020 13:29:40 UTC+2, TiddlyTweeter va escriure:
My apologies. I thought it more.

You might want to retry using your specific need as the title!

TT

Sorry. I don't get you? Abt, redesign: Getting started should be revamped.

Arlen Beiler

May 22, 2020, 7:52:19 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
I understand the point. I'm not sure that a favorite star would be the most obvious way to do this. I think rather the getting started page should define a few terms (3 terms) that people have trouble with. It could also just present the default tiddlers edit box and explain what it does and where to find it (home page of the control panel). Default isn't a bad name for it once you know what it does.

PMario

May 22, 2020, 8:28:08 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

What do you think?

have fun!
mario

TonyM

May 22, 2020, 9:12:22 AM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mario

Good idea video and an extended getting started.

I could see us adding plugins to the library that installs a few tiddlers and links to a video to achieve similar ease of use solutions for new users. No need to learn and collect the plugins install and configure or aquire an edition.

Perhaps a new plugin type tutorials, that result in working examples like yours.

Nicese work Mario.

Regards
Tony

PMario

May 22, 2020, 4:23:52 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 3:12:22 PM UTC+2, TonyM wrote:
I could see us adding plugins to the library that installs a few tiddlers and links to a video to achieve similar ease of use solutions for new users. No need to learn and collect the plugins install and configure or aquire an edition.

I was thinking about helper-bundles.

They are designed to be deleted on a per tiddler base. ... So once a user doesn't need the "helper bundle" anymore, they can remove them piece by piece. ... "protected" stuff can be a plugin within the bundle.

-m