Quick way to add external links around a word or phrase

Timothy Read

Jun 20, 2019, 9:40:23 AM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'm new here so if this is obvious or has been answered before I apologize in advance. I have searched this group and not found an answer...

Quite often what I would like to be able to do is select a word or phrase and attach an external URL to it, which would generate HTML like this:

blah blah <a href="http://some_external_URL">foo</a> blah blah

Is there an easier way to do this than writing the html my hand?

Thanks in advance.

TonyM

Jun 20, 2019, 10:20:22 AM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Try this

[[Google search|http://Google.com]]

is that what you need?

Do search but feel free to ask any question. All I suggest is give enough info so we can understand the question if possible.

Tony

TonyM

Jun 20, 2019, 10:22:27 AM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Or

Blah blah [[foo|http://some_external_URL]] blah blah

Tony

Timothy Read

Jun 20, 2019, 11:11:27 AM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
That is exactly what I was looking for!

Many thanks Tony

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 20, 2019, 12:52:22 PM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Timothy

Just to say that you can use the toolbar button that looks like two links of a chain to create an external link:

1. Select the text you want to link
2. Click the "link" button
3. Type the target address of the link (ignore the list of tiddlers that appears below)
4. Click the right chevron button to insert the link

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 20, 2019, 12:53:17 PM6/20/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Another attempt at including the image correctly.

Scott Kingery

Jun 20, 2019, 5:02:36 PM6/20/19
to TiddlyWiki
If you are doing this via a desktop browser, I made a little bookmarklet to speed things up. You can see it here:

Mat

Jun 21, 2019, 4:23:26 AM6/21/19
to TiddlyWiki
Scott Kingery wrote:
If you are doing this via a desktop browser, I made a little bookmarklet to speed things up. You can see it here:

Scott, neat thing and thanks for sharing. Do you, or anyone, happen to know how to make the bookmarklet copy the pretty link to memory? So you don't have to copy it manually from the popup. Actually, the ideal would be if the pretty link could go straight into memory without any popup.

<:-)

Scott Kingery

Jun 21, 2019, 9:02:59 AM6/21/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
You used to be able to make that work but browsers got really picky about allowing JavaScript copying to memory like that. Maybe you still can in certain browsers but I wanted to make sure this was as cross browser as it could be.

Scott