Can't Save TiddlyWiki 5 on Chrome 65/Windows 10

Prescott Indigo

Mar 23, 2018, 6:28:09 PM3/23/18
to TiddlyWiki
I'm not sure why, but as of today Google Chrome isn't letting me save TiddlyWiki locally. When I click the Save Changes icon, it wants to open a new tab with an address like "blob:null/f68bac16-8632- ..." which puts me back at the logon screen. I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome 65.0.3325.181.

Anyone else have this problem? Or a workaround?

Prescott

TonyM

Mar 23, 2018, 8:38:04 PM3/23/18
to TiddlyWiki
I am still on Chrome 64 (windows 10) so have not seen this problem
however please share more details on your use, what saver are you normally using?
Are you accessing it as a single file or through TiddlyServer etc...?

Regards
Tony

Prescott Indigo

Mar 24, 2018, 2:52:09 AM3/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
I've just been saving TiddlyWiki locally, in a folder on my desktop, by clicking the "Save Changes" icon. It's a single file (see screenshot) and until today it's worked fine.

-Prescott
Tiddly.png

Prescott Indigo

TonyM

Mar 24, 2018, 4:39:59 AM3/24/18
to TiddlyWiki
Could you have blocked the popup at some point?, can you reverse this?

Anyone else had this?

Tony

Norman Gross

Mar 24, 2018, 10:50:12 PM3/24/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

I am seeing the same thing on Mac and Linux.  Both are Chrome 65.  On both systems, a new tab is opened up with the blob:null/....

It did was fine before the chrome upgrade.

Linux (Ubuntu) is using Chrome 65.0.3325.162

Norm.

TonyM

Mar 25, 2018, 12:16:15 AM3/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Prescott,

I am unable to help solve this but thanks for the heads up for us all.

I expect however if you look at tiddlywiki.com alternative savers you should find a work around until some of the key developers look into it.

Please try saving empty.html and more than one wiki and let this forum know the details.

Best wishes
Tony

Norman Gross

Mar 25, 2018, 1:28:29 AM3/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Tony,

I do not know about Prescott, but it resolved my issue.

I downloaded an empty and did not have any issues with it saving (the 'Save File' window popped up).  I then went to the site and performed an upgrade (https://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html).  That also worked.  I should have done that before posting a 'me too'.

Previous version of TiddlyWiki was 5.1.13.  After upgrading to 5.1.15, no issues.  Tested on my Ubuntu machine and Mac.

Norm.

Prescott Indigo

Mar 25, 2018, 10:51:45 AM3/25/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll try to migrate to a newer version of TiddlyWiki. In the meantime, I installed the savetiddlers extension (https://github.com/buggyj/savetiddlers) which fixes the problem, though it makes you save your TW in your downloads folder. :(

Thanks again,

Prescott

garrett

Mar 26, 2018, 9:02:01 PM3/26/18
to TiddlyWiki
I just hit the same problem with the (Mac) Chrome 65 update killing Save, even manual Save. TW5 isn't an option for me -- I have a lot of customizations and tiddlers that won't migrate -- so I'm using TWC 2.8.1. The only thing that (sort of) works now for saving AT ALL is to install buggyj's savetiddlers Chrome extension, which only allows manual saving. I'm sad that I now need an extension installed for this, and am worried about how this plays out in the future. A decade ago having the browser auto save worked great. And then we needed an extension for that to work. And then that only worked in one browser. And then that stopped being possible and we only have manual save. And now manual save only works with an extension... seems like the thread my TW is hanging from keeps getting thinner.

Best,
Garrett

TonyM

Mar 26, 2018, 11:22:40 PM3/26/18
to TiddlyWiki
Garret,

There has being a lot of water under the bridge of saving. The main cause is browsers trying to reduce their exposure to malware. The TiddlyWiki community has responded very well so much so these apparent problems have inspired great new solutions and options.

I understand your reluctance to go from 2.x to 5.x but I am making this move by gradually replacing what I do in my classic wiki. There comes a time when using back versions can not be sustained with the world changing around you such as the browser standards.

In the mean time I retain my legacy wiki in TiddlyDesktop which somewhat insulates me from browser changes.

Best wishes
Tony

Mark S.

Mar 26, 2018, 11:29:35 PM3/26/18
to TiddlyWiki
Which platform? You may be able to symbolically link from your downloads folder to some other folder on your system. That's what I do with TW5 and Windows joints. I imagine Mac has similar mechanisms available.

-- Mark

garrett

Mar 27, 2018, 12:36:40 AM3/27/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Tony. I have so many customizations to 2.x, such as custom LaTeX for math, and presentations slides, and formatting, and hundreds and hundreds of tiddlers, that I'm never transitioning to 5.x. I've given it a look a few times and it's just not going to happen. I may end up on TiddlyDesktop, if other good solutions aren't available.

garrett

Mar 27, 2018, 12:39:15 AM3/27/18
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, I'm on a Mac, and tried creating a symbolic link in my downloads folder, but I couldn't seem to get things working right. There also seems to be a conflict between buggyj's savetiddlers extension and the TiddlySaver.jar script in the TW directory. Maybe I just haven't found the magic combo yet.

Axel Klein

Apr 3, 2018, 7:26:41 AM4/3/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Norman,

Had the same problem that with the new Chome 65.xxx saving was not possible anymore. I am using Vivaldi. An upgrade with your recommended link to 5.1.15 solved the issue.

Thank you very much for that advice!
Best regards
Axel
Message has been deleted

BJ

Apr 3, 2018, 8:04:38 AM4/3/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Garrett,
have you got things working with savertiddlers? TiddlySaver.jar does not work with the latest browsers.

BJ