[TW5] widdly fork - a minimal self-hosted TW5 server

cs8425

Sep 21, 2018, 12:12:34 AM9/21/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Update release v1.2.2,
no more annoying 403 popup of '$:/StoryList' before login.
And here are some must to be known: https://github.com/cs8425/widdly#important-to-know
--------
This fork provide a minimal self-hosted TiddlyWiki5 server written in Go,
original form opennota/widdly,  and bring proof of concept flat-file & sqlite backends support from xarnze/widdly with much improvements.

features:
  • support bolt/bbolt, flat-file and sqlite backends
  • multi-arch/platform pre-compile executable [1]
  • multi-user login & edit (currently edit same wiki)
  • support TLS and http/2 !!
  • modify plugins without manually update base TW5 html file, all can be done in browser.
[1] sqlite backend only linux amd64 version support, if need other platform please compile your self. (cross-compile needs cgo support)

Download v1.2.2: https://github.com/cs8425/widdly/releases/tag/v1.2.2

PS. Any bugs/questions welcome to create issue.
PS. PRs are also welcome.

Mohammad

Sep 21, 2018, 6:01:05 AM9/21/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello

After setting up the server, I created a sample tiddler and saved it and then refreshed the wiki. I got the following error

syncer-browser-tiddlyweb - 19:03:42 21 9 2018

Sync error while processing '$:/StoryList': XMLHttpRequest error code: 403

Then I tried to login again from Server tab under Control panel, but it failed. I mean I could not login again, as nothing happened when clicking on login button.

Mohammad

cs8425

Sep 21, 2018, 8:13:31 AM9/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry, I can't understand what you talking about.
I had just double checked that both win32 and win64 version still works as expected.
Please describe questions clearly so that anyone can re-product it!
Don't just said as "After logging and refershing the wiki, it lost its connection and all later efforts failed."
Logging for what? or you means login?
Lost what connection? Server goes down so page could no be loaded or what?
HTTP did not care connection lost/close or not after HTTP response end. So I couldn't caught up what you means about "lost its connection".
And what failed? Login failed? Saving failed? or what failed?
Even post some running/error screen shot/screen capture would be help a lot.

There are only 3 steps to setting up and running the server:
  1. Setup account: run "<widdly.exe> -u <username> -p <password> > user.lst" in command line,
    change item in "<xxx>" for yours, and the "user.lst" file will contains your account info.
  2. Start the server by double-click executable file or with command line (see README.md)
  3. Open browser to "http://127.0.0.1:8080" (or address set from step 2) and login for edit
If you still have problem, please give some more clear explanation about you problem.
Otherwise I can't help too much.

Mohammad於 2018年9月21日星期五 UTC+8下午6時01分05秒寫道:
Hello,
 Could you give some more clear explanation on setting up and runing the server. I used it on win64!
After logging and refershing the wiki, it lost its connection and all later efforts failed.

-Mohammad

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 8:42:34 AM UTC+4:30, cs8425 wrote:
This fork provide a minimal self-hosted TiddlyWiki5 server written in Go,
original form opennota/widdly,  and bring proof of concept flat-file & sqlite backends support from xarnze/widdly with much improvements.

features:
  • support bolt/bbolt, flat-file and sqlite backends
  • multi-arch/platform pre-compile executable [1]
  • multi-user login & edit (currently edit same wiki)
  • support TLS and http/2 !!
  • modify plugins without manually update base TW5 html file, all can be done in browser.
[1] sqlite backend only linux amd64 version support, if need other platform please compile your self. (cross-compile needs cgo support)

Mohammad

Sep 21, 2018, 10:30:28 AM9/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you cs8425

  • After following up the instruction, I was successful to setup and run the server
  • Importing bunch of plugins and tiddlers using JSON bundle drag and drop shows the tiddlers and plugins has been imported but you get the yellow ribbon message
  • Please save  and reload  to allow changes to plugins to take effect

@TiddlyTweeter

Sep 21, 2018, 10:41:43 AM9/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, That is normal.

Mohammad wrote:
Thank you cs8425you get the yellow ribbon message

Mohammad

Sep 21, 2018, 10:45:12 AM9/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi again c8425,

After I refreshed the page (shift + F5: refersh the page and ignore the cache) I could login again. The server works and I can simply create tiddler / edit / save /delete!
Still importing plugins using drag and drop method cause repeated message of (Please save  and reload  to allow changes to plugins to take effect )

I need more time to experiment with widdly-win64.exe to have better feedback!

Thank you

Riz

Sep 21, 2018, 8:53:49 PM9/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
That is some great work you are doing man. Amazing.

My only suggestions are simple tweaks. Consider making the initial server message include the port details - like "Server has started. Open http://127.0.0.1:8080 in your browser". Also, "-http" flag to "-server" because that is what TW users are familiar with in node setup.

Keep up the good work.

On Friday, 21 September 2018 09:42:34 UTC+5:30, cs8425 wrote:
This fork provide a minimal self-hosted TiddlyWiki5 server written in Go,
original form opennota/widdly,  and bring proof of concept flat-file & sqlite backends support from xarnze/widdly with much improvements.

features:
  • support bolt/bbolt, flat-file and sqlite backends
  • multi-arch/platform pre-compile executable [1]
  • multi-user login & edit (currently edit same wiki)
  • support TLS and http/2 !!
  • modify plugins without manually update base TW5 html file, all can be done in browser.
[1] sqlite backend only linux amd64 version support, if need other platform please compile your self. (cross-compile needs cgo support)

Mohammad

Sep 21, 2018, 11:24:09 PM9/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Josiah,
 After saving and reloading TW again and again complains it should be saved and reloaded!
So, something is going wrong!

-Mohammad

cs8425

Sep 22, 2018, 2:54:03 AM9/22/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi @Riz, @Mohammad,
I updated README.md for more detail explanation.
Install plugins MUST click 'Save Button' manually to force update base TW5 file, and reload the page to work.
Here are some more must to be known: https://github.com/cs8425/widdly#important-to-know
And I would like to skipping saving `$:/StoryList` for that annoying 403 popup and then build another release later.
-----
update: published release v1.2.2

cs8425於 2018年9月21日星期五 UTC+8下午12時12分34秒寫道:
This fork provide a minimal self-hosted TiddlyWiki5 server written in Go,
original form opennota/widdly,  and bring proof of concept flat-file & sqlite backends support from xarnze/widdly with much improvements.

features:
  • support bolt/bbolt, flat-file and sqlite backends
  • multi-arch/platform pre-compile executable [1]
  • multi-user login & edit (currently edit same wiki)
  • support TLS and http/2 !!
  • modify plugins without manually update base TW5 html file, all can be done in browser.
[1] sqlite backend only linux amd64 version support, if need other platform please compile your self. (cross-compile needs cgo support)

Mohammad

Sep 22, 2018, 9:06:14 AM9/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you!
Keep going on! This is a great piece of work!

Best
Mohammad

Mohammad

Sep 22, 2018, 10:51:35 AM9/22/18
to TiddlyWiki
Please add the download link in github readme file

Mohammad

Victor Dorneanu

Sep 18, 2019, 4:19:41 AM9/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

this is really good work. I've also forked from opennota/widdly and added DynamoDB support (in order to run Tiddlywiki in an AWS environment). You can see more at vdorneanu/widdly.

Currently I'm working on a serverless version of widdly that should only use AWS Lambda and AWS DynamoDB as a storage. What bothers me most at the moment is authentication/authorization. I want to have my wiki in read-only mode  but whenever I want to add/change sth I should be able to login somewhere. Perhaps I'll have a look at your fork and checkout how you have implemented it.

Thanks for sharing.

KR,
Victor